CairnTalk

Sam minus his puppy coat

Sam I Am

Sam went to his breeder yesterday  as he really needed to have his coat done. I swear we could have built another dog with the amount taken off. 😋 Already the coat is getting course and wiry. It should grow in nicely. Until that time he looks kind of naked.

3488C677-08E9-4BFA-8A80-F71D9D94D5CA.jpeg

02BAE9EF-BA48-4F44-A7F0-F5D43B4D4998.jpeg

• Like 7

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• 2 weeks later...

Sam is 10 months old. This time the breeder really stripped his coat down. The last three times it was more of just tiding up. As Sams breeder shows her dogs, her dogs go on the grooming table every two weeks and have amazing coarse coats.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Dougal was 10 weeks old this past Friday.  Not sure you an see it in the photo, but is the puppy hair the unruly stuff that kind of sticks out here and there not laying flat when combed or brushed, especially around the upper legs...lol. 

Dougal is all black except for some really small tips that are brownish and hardly noticeable unless you look.  You can see by the size of his AKC Rat toy that he is a real dink.  The rat is almost his size.  I did weigh him last Wednesday and he hit the digital scales at a whopping 3 lbs. 15 ozs.  When you pick him up he feels more like a small kitten that pup.  One thing about him is that he definitely has attitude.  Always carries the tail straight up no matter what and struts his stuff.....too funny.

cairn41.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wacenturion said:

Forgot to ask, when was the first tiding up...how old?

I am afraid I don’t remember the exact date but probably around 4 months . A bit overdue but as we don’t show it wasn’t an issue for us.  Sam is intact and will remain so as far as I can see, his breeder has mentioned that she might want to show him, so perhaps if that does happen he will be groomed a lot more than he is now.

I wonder given that Dougal is black I wonder if his coat colour will change? Our Scottie Rosie is pure black and developed sprinklings of white hair even as a youngster. I looked up information on this and read that true black dogs often sprout white hairs...a mark of a pure black colour. Sam wasn’t to fuzzy. Here he is at 8 weeks.

Dougal is absolutely adorable.💕

A1C0E569-03BF-4266-A87E-1B554F67766E.jpeg

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Terrier lover said:

I am afraid I don’t remember the exact date but probably around 4 months . A bit overdue but as we don’t show it wasn’t an issue for us.  Sam is intact and will remain so as far as I can see, his breeder has mentioned that she might want to show him, so perhaps if that does happen he will be groomed a lot more than he is now.

I wonder given that Dougal is black I wonder if his coat colour will change? Our Scottie Rosie is pure black and developed sprinklings of white hair even as a youngster. I looked up information on this and read that true black dogs often sprout white hairs...a mark of a pure black colour. Sam wasn’t to fuzzy. Here he is at 8 weeks.

Dougal is absolutely adorable.💕

A1C0E569-03BF-4266-A87E-1B554F67766E.jpeg

Interesting that you mentioned that, as Dougal has a just a few white individual hairs on his chest.  May 7 to 10 total, but you see them.  He is sleeping after wearing himself out playing ball.  I'll take a picture of the white hairs later when he wakes up.

Here is a picture showing the few white hairs on Dougal's chest.  He was giving me the evil eye as I held him....lol.

Love that dark muzzle on Sam.

cairn42.JPG

Edited by Wacenturion
  • Haha 1