CairnTalk

Buffy

hheldorfer

Buffy went to Rainbow Bridge late this morning.  It was clear that her time had come so DH and I brought her to the vet for her final visit, DH driving and Buffy held close in my arms.  The tears won't stop coming.  I see one of her toys, her dog bed, the spot where she liked to sit on the patio with the sun shining down on her . . . and I break down.  

We adopted Buffy from a local animal shelter in 2008.  She was in a large cage on the floor, chewing on one of the bars and looking about as mischievous as a Cairn can get.  My heart melted right then and there.  The minute we brought her home she ran into the living room, launched herself onto the couch and plopped down in the middle of it as if to say "Here I am!  Now let's get some rules straight . . . ".  For the next year we were alternately exasperated and laughing hysterically.  We had never heard *that* bark and sometimes wondered what we had gotten ourselves into.  

Around age 3 Buffy started to settle down and accepted the fact that DH and I were in charge.  She eventually accepted the addition of Ziggy to the household, probably because she knew she could boss him around.  She became attentive, loyal and obedient (well, mostly).  As she aged she bonded even more strongly with DH, who was home with her during the day . . . but still wanted mom during thunderstorms and for any type of unpleasantness such as thorn removal or anything involving her privates.  I always knew when she wasn't feeling well because that's when she'd come to me with pleading eyes and a little whimper.

She survived a total of three dog attacks from Pit Bulls and a Rottweiler.  It was due to her first attack (and a few others, perpetrated by the same dogs) that Joliet took a closer look at its dangerous dog ordinances and made some much-needed changes.  Despite the good that resulted from these attacks, it took some of Buffy's spirit away.  Whenever we encountered a loose dog while walking, Buffy became fearful.  Ziggy, bless his heart, stepped up and began protecting his sister by placing himself between us and the loose dog.  There was an unspoken understanding between Buffy and Ziggy that we never fully understood.  I suppose it wasn't important for *us* to understand it.  Kids always have their secrets.

Buffy was a popular girl in the neighborhood.  People always laughed when Buffy immediately flipped on her back for belly rubs.  Needless to say, she got lots of belly rubs.  I know the coming weeks will bring plenty of "Where's Buffy?" questions when I'm walking Ziggy.  It's going to be tough, both for me and for them.

It was a shock when we learned Buffy had cancer but we honestly thought she might make it past the 11-month maximum that the vet had predicted.  If any dog could do it (we told ourselves), it was Buffy.  We did everything we could for her in the last few months and made sure she had plenty of fun and adventures.  In the end I think she was grateful, both for the life we gave her and for knowing when it was over.

Rest in peace, Buffers.

untitled-6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

Oh Helene, I am so sad for you and your DH, and Ziggy. I knew this day would come but have been dreading it. Your posts over the years have brought Buffy into all our homes and hearts. She was a very very special presence on this forum.

Thinking of you more than I can say.

• Like 1

I'm so very sorry, Helene, for both you and DH. Through all we've shared over the years, I truly felt like I knew Buffy. I'm so sorry you didn't have longer with her, and that the end came so quickly. Love and hugs to both of you and to little Ziggy from me, Nick and Lola.

• Like 2

Helene - so very sorry to hear this. I had hoped - with you, I know - that she would make it to the holidays.

The only thing worse than losing a cairn is never having one in the first place.

I hope when you think of Buffy in the coming days you have smiles as well as tears. She would want that.

Run free, little dog.

• Like 2

We remember how much fun Buffy was and how brave you were to stand up and bring the dog attackers to justice. Buffy left a legacy behind her. A gift to her whole community.

The pain is so sharp - grieving is so hard. Thinking of you all and of poor wee Ziggy who will be missing his friend.

• Like 2

Helene I am crying right along with you. She was an amazing girl and you and your DH loved her dearly. I was hoping that you still had a fair bit of time left to spend with her, but being the loving owners you both are, you sent her to a peaceful painless place. Buffy and Jock no doubt are in a place most of us can only imagine. 

Big hugs:hug:

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Dogspeed, Buffy.

You made many friends on the street and on the page, all of whom thank you for lighting up our lives and the lives of our friend @hheldorfer and DH. The leaves may turn but you are evergreen in our hearts.

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Crying with y'all. Can't imagine how bad it hurts for you Helene as I feel some one is ripping my heart to pieces. There is something about these little dogs that grabs a hold of you and doesn't seem to let go. Every time I hear the name Buffy I'll think of the bossy little Cairn.

I was so hoping she would make it through the Holidays. Like you I thought if anyone could it was Buffy. You did the right thing for her always, and she loved you. Peace, love and :hug:from all of us.

• Like 2

So sad to hear the news, I know how hard it is to make the decision and say goodbye......but at some point you know it's the right one for your pet because you love them and you have to let them go. These little cairns seem especially hard. Thinking about you and your husband and Ziggy.

• Like 2

There are no words to express the sorrow I feel for the ache and the pain of your loss. Buffy was a rare treasure. Thank you for sharing her life's journey with us.

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

i am so, so, so sorry. my heart is just broken. she was so brave and you were so wonderful with her. i only hope that she and redmon have finally met. 

• Like 1

Oh Helene!  I am so sorry.  My heart is heavy and sad. Please know that you, your husband and sweet Ziggy are in my thoughts.  Lots of love to you at this sad time.  I will always remember Buffy and what a brave, brave girl she was.

ox

• Like 2

Buffy's Mom I am so sad for you and your whole family. Although we have never met, today I have lost one of my best friends in Buffy. She was a fierce boy chasing competitor and I fear that chasing boys will never be as fun ever again. The trophy goes to Buffy. Best in Class.

We are heart broken. It is a very very sad day in the Sassy home tonight.

Sassy

• Like 3

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I am so sorry for your loss.  While reading of Buffy's adventures I've laughed, nodded along at similar antics from my own dogs, shaken my head those some misadventures, and now crying for you.  Thank-you for sharing her with us.

• Like 2

Who rescued whom?

I’m so sorry, Helene.  Even though you know it’s coming, it’s still hard when you know it’s time.  There’s a hole in your heart right now, but soon you’ll be able to think with happiness about all the things Buffy did to bring you joy or make you laugh.  I still miss Packy but he’s with us in spirit and probably up there showing Buffy the ropes right now.

• Like 2
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

We all love Buffy and you guys very much and all grieve your loss.  Buffy reminds me so much of Dempsy - full of spirit.  Heartbroken with you.  God bless you Buffy. 

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh Helene!!!  Sure wish there were words that could ease the pain--I'd send them your way.  Peace my friend, your Buffy is in my heart and I'll keep her and your family close for a bit now and a while longer. 

• Like 2

Oh no...I hated to see this - it breaks my heart....Pepper and Brodie send you Cairn hugs - Buffy was such a great ambassador for the Cairn breed - tough but loving and loyal.  She had a wonderful home and you did the best you could - I wish I could ease your hurt in your heart, but I know she will never be replaced.

• Like 2

Pepper's Mom

23 hours ago, pkcrossley said:

i am so, so, so sorry. my heart is just broken. she was so brave and you were so wonderful with her. i only hope that she and redmon have finally met. 

That is my hope too; that Buffy is running with Redmon, Teddy, Jock, Echo, Ginger, Granger, Trinity . . . I can't remember them all, but I hope they're having a fantastic time.  And I hope Packy is teaching her how to fish.

Edited by hheldorfer
  • Like 6

So sorry....hugs flowing from our family to yours! Buffy and Ziggy stories were always informative and sometime funny. May she be running and fishing with the best!!

• Like 1

I'm am so very sorry for your loss, Buffy was a beautiful Cairn and she was so lucky that you found her and gave her a wonderful loving home.  I know how hard it is to say goodbye to our animals and hope that your memories of her comfort you in the days ahead. Hugs.

• Like 1