CairnTalk

Thunder

Dempsy's Mom

Thunderstorm last night.  Elsie is something - I can't do a thing with her - constant movement and whimpering - she sat on my head a couple times and I mean literally.  I just keep stroking her till the thunder passes.  Dempsy doesn't like thunder either, but he simply comes over to the bedside, I pick him up and he is totally content just lying in bed with us.  God I love that dog such a sweetie.   Tonight more rain forecasted, but I am hoping no thunder.  Dempsy, Elsie and I put all the cows inside tonight so I don't have to wonder all night long if there is a new born that needs attention.  Spring planting may be a challenge if the rain keeps coming, but we never turn down rain.  We were hoping to start this week - but it doesn't look like it now. 

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Idaho Cairns

Thunder, especially with  close lightning excites both our dogs--I think it is a learned trait, passed from one generation to another.  Our first Cairn was always excited by loud reports--thunder, gunshots, fireworks, etc. and she seemed to teach Sammi the same excitement and Sammi has taught Bonnie the same behavior.
For dogs afraid of these kinds of noise it is a misery--my daughter's three dogs are in agony around the Fourth of July--they usually have to be drugged to get thru the holiday.
Here's a graphic example of just how excited Sammi gets with way too close thunder and lightning.  She simply is not intimidated by the sound--Bonnie, of course, doesn't mind the noise but getting wet with hard rain isn't her thing--she's way too prissy for a Cairn.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=6aCKHvFhbNs

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 1

Thunder and fireworks are both major problems around here.  Oban comes to me nervously when the thunder is coming before I can even hear it. The only way to calm him is to take him into the basement mancave and put the television on loud (dolby sound) ..and of course stay there with him. Definitely cuts into my beauty sleep...Over time we have learned he settles in best when watching either basketball or golf.  (No animals that need to be scared away or at least put in their place -- apparently men with beards also look like animals to him) 

Sorry Demps and Elsie have the same problems. Do you usually get thunderstorms this early in the spring?  We have already had a couple thunderstorms and it just seems to early.

We don't have to plant as much as you, Lori, but I did put in some annual flower seeds today.  Hopefullyu gentle rain over the next day or two will get them started...

• Like 1

Packy had gotten to the point of shaking in fear at thunderstorms and fireworks.  He was even known to throw up.  The only thing that helped was to put him in his crate in the closet in our bedroom.  And that was after giving him Benadryl.  It got worse as he got older and I felt so bad for him.

Kirby will bark at sharp thunder/lightning but usually settles in and is fine.  Phinney doesn't really react but watches Kirby.  

I hope you find something that will help.  It's so hard watching them.

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

So sorry to hear about Elsie's fear of storms. I used to have a collie/golden mix that was very afraid of thunder and would pace and pant and claw at our bedside. Finally we got him the Thunder shirt from petsmart to wear during the storms and while it did not completely eliminate all his fears it did help by 50%.  Maybe it would help Elsie too.

• Like 1

Angus wishes he could come over and help the frightened ones.

At the first sign of lightning and thunder Angus barks and comes to tell me then gets up on his seat by the window and watches and watches and after the lightening he stands and barks and "kills" the thunder. He is always successful! And so proud. He often looks over at me to share his victory!

I'm sure he'd ready to be "on call" if needed and if your guys weren't all so far away! Meanwhile we both send hugs :hug:

• Like 3

Maisie's afraid of thunderstorms, fireworks or any loud bang type noises.  She will whimper and shake and usually hide behind the couch or under my desk.  The Thundershirt does help her out a little but not 100%, I feel so bad for her.

Idaho - tried to pull up the video but was nothing there...:(

Edited by LindaMC

Idaho Cairns

Sorry, not sure I'm uploading these videos incorrectly.  Not really too germane to the discussion since my two are such loud noise enthusiasts--we have an opposite problem--trying to keep Bonnie and Sammi inside and quiet when we get thunderstorms.  Just wanted to post up an example of the other extreme displayed by Cairns and loud noises.  Let's see if this link works.

• Like 4

If I didn't know better, Idaho, I would swear that was a larger version of Kelly in that video. Kelly reacts just like that for thunderstorms and loud noises.

You can't get her to come back in at all. Prissy just finds her favorite spot, curls up, and sleeps through it all.

• Like 1