CairnTalk

Maisie - Bad Rash

LindaMC

Maisie has some type of rash going on, her belly is all red and she has hive like bumps everywhere.  She can't keep still, runs to once place and tries to settle but then jumps up and runs to another place.  She's panting and has been up all night.  Wish I knew what caused it and hope that it's not going to be an ongoing occurrence, like atopic dermatitis.  I have an appointment for her at the emergency vet hospital in an hour.  Hopefully they will be able to help her, I'm so worried about her, she's miserable.  I'm wondering if anyone else pup has had anything similar to this happen to them.  She acting very similar to the way she acts when there's a thunder storm, like hiding under my desk or in my closet, although she doesn't stay for more than a minute or so.

My husband wants me to wait and take her to her own vet tomorrow, but it's not a guarantee that she'll have an opening and I just can't watch her suffer any longer.:(

I wouldn't wait . Such a severe reaction to something could trigger worse complications. Was she given some kind of tick/flea medication?

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I can only speak for myself, but I agree with you not to wait for your own vet. Maisie's behavior shows that she's clearly in distress and possibly experiencing (burning?) pain from the rash. In spite of her symptoms, most rashes respond well to treatment, once they have been diagnosed.

Good luck!... Keeping my fingers crossed for Maisie! Let us know what the vet says.

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I took Maisie to her appointment this morning, I'm not one to wait, especially when my little girl is so miserable.  They couldn't really give me a definitive diagnoses other than her having an allergic reaction, to what I don't know.  They gave her a shot of  liquid Benedryl and some subcutaneous fluids.  Her temp was a tiny bit elevated but nothing to be concerned about.  Her throat was swollen and her face too!  I noticed her face being swollen right away but nobody else could see it, but I know my girl and it was much fuller than usual.  They were also going to give her some prednisone but told me they were low and needed in case an animal came to emergency in shock.  They didn't think that she really needed it.  No blood work but checked everything else.  The shot helped her for a while so I was able to get some sleep, but now; she running around again and I'm worried that it's going to be another bad night.  I'm praying this will pass in the next day or so; she seemed a lot better after visiting emergency.  I'm going to try to get some more Benedryl in to her, it's not easy, she pretty smart and knows when I put a pill in anything I give her.  If she can't pick it apart and eat the item it was in, she won't eat it at all....:(  

Sorry for going on so fast, but have to cater to Maisie, she's stressing out because I'm typing here and keeps jumping up and pushing me with her paws, she's all Cairn attitude right now and I can't blame her one bit.  Thanks for listening....it means a lot to me.

Edited by LindaMC
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Terrier lover said:

I wouldn't wait . Such a severe reaction to something could trigger worse complications. Was she given some kind of tick/flea medication?

Sorry, no not recently.  This is the hard part, trying to figure out what she got into or if something bit her.

Edited by LindaMC
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for the update. Like me, I'm sure others on the forum are also worried for Maisie. Too bad about the vet not having more prednisone on hand, but at least she was seen and treated. Maisie might show a lot of improvement tomorrow... One day can make a big difference in that regard...and there is always your regular vet who can follow up.

Keep us posted!

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I wonder if she was stung by a ? Have you washed her blanket, bed, your bedding with something new? Washed your floors, bathroom with something new?  What are you feeding her? Something new, kibble gone off? Being that the rash is all over it sounds like something she either has settled down in  (poison ivy or?) or something she has digested? I hope she recovers soon. Are there no other vets in the area?

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Poor Maisie!  This is pure speculation, but considering the rash is on her belly and her face was also swollen, I wonder if it is something on the ground that she got into.  Anything new in your yard?  Used any fertilizer or had your lawn sprayed lately?

Hope she is better by tomorrow!

• Like 2

I hope little Maisie is feeling better soon. So glad you got her in ASAP. Is everything cleared up now or is still still showing signs of the allergic reaction?

Will you have a follow-up with her regular vet? Perhaps they would have the time to give it some more thought and attention. And maybe prednisone and blood tests, if she's still having issues. 

I think they make Benadryl in liquid form. I don't know if the ingredients in the liquid version are safe for pets though, but if you asked a vet then maybe it would be easier to administer than a pill? 

• Like 2

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I have used liquid Benadryl just make sure it doesn't have xylitol in it. Xylitol can have a deadly effect on dogs.

• Like 1

Maisie isn't any better today, in fact, I think she may be a little worse.  She had a bad night, trying to settle down and then jumping up and running to another spot to try and get comfortable.  I eventually put her in her crate and she cried for a little while, which she never does and finally went to sleep.  Today she seems more listless, I see the swelling on her face and neck and now I'm also seeing it around her eyes, her eyelids seems to be a little swollen.  She's also more listless, not wanting to play or eat....I am so very worried about her.  I called the emergency vet hospital where I took her yesterday because I can go back through there and not have to pay the $100.00 fee.  Maybe they'll give her some prednisone and do some bloodwork.   Her regular vet was closed yesterday, I know that Terrier Lover asked if there was any other vets in the area and there are but most are closed on Sundays.  This emergency hospital in Westminister has a very good reputation.  Her regular vet is supposed to be calling me back in about an hour, she wasn't in when I called earlier and there's also no openings until Wednesday.  

As far as knowing what caused this, I haven't got a clue, we've been racking our brains, no new food, no new laundry detergent or anything to that effect.  It's possible that she got stung by a bee or maybe a spider bite.  Does anyone know if a bee sting reaction last this long, it's been 2 days now, maybe a little longer.  She keeps flicking her ears as if she's trying to get something off them.  So many small inconsistencies to her normal behavior...arrghhh.

I'll keep you guys updated. 

Edited by LindaMC
  • Like 1

Hope Maisie can get more intensive care soon. What a worry. I have had dogs stung by bees butnot having an intense reaction beyond a short while. Thinking of you :hug:

• Like 1

Yes I do know someone whose welsh terrier swallowed a bee or wasp and went into anaphylactic shock. Way more severe than Maisie's reaction but with similar swelling etc. Her dog was in ICU for 5 days . I would definitely want blood work done, blood pressure etc.

• Like 2

I was hoping to see good news and I'm sorry to hear Maisie is still suffering.  I don't know what would cause the (apparent) allergic reaction to continue to get worse.  I'll be anxiously waiting to hear what the ER vet had to say.

• Like 2

Oh poor girl. I hope she gets some long-term relief soon and you get some answers. Sending love Maisie's way. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I'm so sorry to read this about Maisie. I can feel how worried you are about her. I truly hope the ER vet gets to the bottom of it very soon so both you and Maisie can get some relief. Big hugs for you both.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay on the update.  I took Maisie back to the ER Vet on Monday night, she had a temp of 103.4 by then so they did some blood work and that came back okay, no infection.  She had vomited just before we left the house so they gave her a shot of anti nausea meds, more benedryl and more fluids.  Still no definitive diagnosis of what it could be, vet said it's to hard and takes a lot of time and money to figure out what she had a reaction to.  Maisie's been sleeping a lot and seems to be better, rash has just about gone away, no bumps, just a little redness and her appetite is okay, she ate yesterday and slept most of the day.  In fact, she slept all night and is still sleeping now.   Whatever it was it sure took a lot out of her, poor baby.

It's scary not knowing exactly what happened to her.  The look on her face at times was breaking my heart.   Hopefully, this is the end and she's going to be back to running around and chasing her ball very soon.  Thank you all so much.

• Like 3

Thank heavens Maisie is OK!  I hope she is now on the mend for good and won't have another reaction - or whatever it was.  Hugs to her and you.

• Like 1

So thankful! I was worried when we didn't hear from you. 

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone, your kind words mean a lot to me.  It's so frustrating when they're sick and you can't take the hurt away.  She's up now and gnawing on her kong stuffed with low fat cheese and baby carrots...:)  A good sign.  It was so strange seeing her race around the house all day Saturday and part of Sunday trying to find a place where she'd be comfortable, I've never seen anything like that before, with any of my dogs.  She must have been so itchy or felt like her skin was on fire.  It was very warm to the touch.

Hopefully this is all behind her and it won't happen again, even if I have to put a bubble around her.....:P 

• Like 8