CairnTalk

Buffy meets her new niece

hheldorfer

What a sweet little baby. Buffy must sense she is a baby. Maybe she thinks Keaton is a puppy and was gentle with her. Happy things went well and looking forward to good times ahead.

• Like 1

Tell the new daddy that human spit has pretty much the same amount of bacteria as Buffy's spit. Nothing like a little immune system strengthening.

From my personal experience, there's no better friend for a baby than a terrier. 

I can't wait to see this friendship prosper!

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 2

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Idaho Cairns

Everyone of our Grandchildren--five girls and six boys have been raised with Cairn spit--lots of Cairn spit and everyone of them are healthy/happy kids.  Grandma and Grandpa kiss kids a lot and their dogs follow suit.
Matter of fact, I think Cairn spit ought to be marketed as some kind of "organic" kid cure!

• Like 3

Great pic! A little baptism by Cairn will ensure her place in Heaven. :)  How did Uncle Ziggy do?

• Like 1

Come on Keaton let's go chase some squirrels. come on, come on, they're getting away.

Cute picture and Sassy is jealous. She wants a niece too.

• Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

9 hours ago, Idaho Cairns said:

Matter of fact, I think Cairn spit ought to be marketed as some kind of "organic" kid cure!

I agree!  Mom is all for letting Keaton get dog kisses but dad is Mr. Hand Sanitizer.  Uses the stuff constantly.  Anyway, we think he'll loosen up once Keaton can begin to interact more with the world around her.

47 minutes ago, Autumn & Lola said:

Great pic! A little baptism by Cairn will ensure her place in Heaven. :)  How did Uncle Ziggy do?

Ziggy was also very curious, particularly when the baby made a sound.  We think he must have had experience with babies/children in his first few years (before we adopted him) because he loves kids and seeks them out whenever we go for walks.  He may be familiar with babies and that's why he wasn't quite so ultra-attentive.  Plus, while Buffy was distracted he took the opportunity to steal a rawhide chip she had left on the floor.:D

• Like 3

Kelly is ultra attentive. She has now been around 3 babies. She is extremely careful around them and fusses at the dogs that get to hyper around such babies. All 3 of the babies she has been introduced to she sniffed gentle so much so that the 3 sets of parents were at ease setting their babies in car seat or bouncy seat in the floor beside her. With all three, after the sniffing she sat beside them and guarded them. 

The third baby is my nephew so I will get to see what she is like with a toddler. This little nephew is a real blessing, as my sister was told by doctors that she wouldn't be able to have children. We found out in August of last year that at age 37 she was pregnant with her first child. She developed deadly high blood pressure in December last year and they had to take the baby by c-section on the 28th , he was 10 weeks early and had to stay in PICU until February 2. He is a healthy and happy little boy.

I am so happy for you and Keaton is so beautiful.

• Like 1

From 1985/1986: proof terriers make the best baby friends and that terrier spit has no lasting harmful effects on babies. Unless you count my lifelong obsession with terriers as harmful. 

image.jpeg

• Like 8

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

21 minutes ago, Autumn & Lola said:

Is that you, Whitney? Awww!

1985/86? :o  Sheesh, I had just started college. :lol:

Yes, that's me. Yes, I'm a baby, in the picture and on the forum. :blush:

That's Leftover, the JRT mix who was the daughter of pure-bred JRT Freckles, who somehow got loose in the neighborhood and met a boyfriend just before she was going to be spayed. They're why I will always love terriers and what drove me to get one when I could adopt a pup on my own. 

Cairns are easier on my mom's allergies and I wanted her to be able to enjoy the granddog. 

image.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Autumn & Lola said:

Is that you, Whitney? Awww!

1985/86? :o  Sheesh, I had just started college. :lol:

Pfft!  I was already on my first marriage.  :lol:

• Like 2

Awe Whitney you were so cute. 85/86 was my freshman year in high school. 

Idaho that is an awesome example and such a great picture of Bonnie and Avah. 

I'm excited to see what Kelly lets my nephew get buy with. My youngest was 8 when we got her. So not really a good example. When she has been around babies though she is so much more gentle. My Mother-in-law's Pomeranian was not gentle with babies at all. Had it not been for Kelly guarding my Sister-in-laws grand baby the pom would have jump right on the baby. Kelly stayed right with the baby the whole time. She has been around 3 babies and has done that with each one. She would have been a great Momma herself. I sometime wish I didn't have her spayed.

11 hours ago, hheldorfer said:

Plus, while Buffy was distracted he took the opportunity to steal a rawhide chip she had left on the floor.:D

Good for Ziggy. Buffy has stolen enough of his treats its about time he got some of them back.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have Buffy and Ziggy had any more cuddle time with their niece?

3 hours ago, _whits_ said:

Have Buffy and Ziggy had any more cuddle time with their niece?

Not yet but they will be seeing her at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Unfortunately Keaton's mom and dad live in an apartment in Chicago and Buffy and Ziggy wouldn't be able to visit them there, so we have to wait for them to come to us.  

One interesting thing has developed, however:  Buffy has never been a fan of children - they move too fast and make too much noise.  Ever since Buffy met Keaton she has been remarkably more tolerant of the little ones and even wags her tail when we see a toddler or baby on our walks.  Strange, isn't it?

• Like 3

I had the same experience with Gus. He never showed much interest in little children or babies. We had two grandbabies here in 2014, so he had frequent contact.  Now that they are toddlers, he appreciates them as a source of frequent food droppings! When we are out walking, he wags his tail and wants to say hi - I'm glad to let children pat him while he sniffs around for crumbs.

• Like 2