CairnTalk

ears

gnr9933

Hi! I've had my male cairn for about a month, he's 13 weeks old. Have been looking for info on when the ears come up, his are still flopped over and pictures show ears up. Anyone remember when the ears came up on their cairns? Thanks

Articles:
How to Walk a Dog

Welcome to you and pup. My Angus came to me at twelve weeks with one ear up and one ear down. I think their ears come up when ready. Some come very early and some not so much.

We love to hear about pups. Tell us his name and please post a pic when you have a chance.

Robbys ears and the rest of his litter were up at 8 weeks when I got him but when my Dad got MacDuff at 12 weeks old Macs ears were up but his brothers were not .

Varies from dog to dog--eventually those little creases straighten out.  Just take plenty of pictures of your pup while the ears are down--you'll kinda miss the look after awhile.

• 3 months later...

Hi, this is a variation on the issue of ears standing up. Our boy, who is 18 months, got between two dogs scuffling at the dog park and got a pretty bad bite at the base of one ear. He has had sutures, antibiotics, etc., and is on the mend, but I'm worried that the injured ear will be floppy after it heals. This just happened a few days ago and I think he's not holding it up now because it still hurts, plus he's wearing a cone, but he does occasionally prick it up briefly. We did a lot of taping when he was a pup to get his ears standing in the first place and he is such a handsome fellow when they are at attention that I am hoping that the ear will be almost as good as new when it's all well.

Of course we will love him no matter what, and are far more concerned with how he feels than how he looks, but do any of you have experience with this situation and suggestions beyond actual wound care for how we can improve the chances that the ear will stand normally again?

Our Cairn Rocky turned 1 year old this past November. And we remember it was around 16 weeks. We were worried because his ears were flopping backwards. Our vet even said she had never seen this before.  But eventually they stood up the right way.

So sorry to read this. I have no experience in this area, but I'm just writing to express my understanding of your feelings. It's a terrible thing for any of our dogs to be injured, and all I can offer are my sympathies and hope that someone here will have had some experience with a positive outcome to share.

Let us know how things turn out!

FEAR THE CAIRN!

ah, the one flops over and one is erect syndrome. Piper's left ear was about 2 weeks slow in popping up compared with the right one.  musta been  1.5- 2 month old.

steve

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sanford said:

So sorry to read this. I have no experience in this area, but I'm just writing to express my understanding of your feelings. It's a terrible thing for any of our dogs to be injured, and all I can offer are my sympathies and hope that someone here will have had some experience with a positive outcome to share.

Let us know how things turn out!

Thank you Sanford. He is feeling livelier today and goes back to the vet tomorrow for a re-check. Hoping they will be able to take the stitches out later in the week and we can get rid of the cone, which may be discouraging him from putting either ear up. It was a nasty bite, but at least it missed his eye, which would have been so much worse!

• Like 1