CairnTalk

Shame on me! I underestimated Ruffy!

sanford

It doesn't matter how stand offish our cairns may seem. When we really need them they come to the rescue. Nursing is one of the things they do best. Good job Ruffy!! Enjoy your dinner.

• Like 4

Yes I truly believe a lot of animals feel empathy when their uprights aren't well. Is it because the pack is in danger... who knows. But I know Rosie, certainly reacts very strongly if I am upset and crying or not well. She licks my face, and carries on till I have stopped or feel better . Jock,  my Cairn however didn't really think much of any tears or discomfort when I wasn't myself. I had a cat years ago, Goofy, who would sit on and chest and purr and wouldn't leave till all was well. I don't think its strictly a Cairn thing,. Perhaps like humans, we all react differently.  In Jocks world it was all about him. Being the alpha dude perhaps he thought to himself, who cares if you croak I will rule!!!!

It will be interesting to see if Ruffy continues to be a roommate! And yes of course a rare steak is a must!

• Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Never underestimate the abilities of a Cairn, Sanford. :)  Ruffy obviously believes the sun rises and sets on you and was concerned about your well-being.  God bless the little guy.

I had a horrible day at work today.  When I got home Buffy and Ziggy greeted me at the door as usual.  I said "Buffy, I'm going to need extra Cairn kisses tonight."  A few minutes later we gathered on the couch for "greetings".  Buffy did not disappoint - she showered me with kisses.  

• Like 6

I'm sorry you've been so ill, Sanford. Those hacking coughs that won't end are awful and exhausting. You said Ruffy's reaction was very different to his usual behavior. But - have you been so ill since you've had him? Maybe he thought - ut oh! - this sounds serious - I better help! :D  I'm glad he was such a comfort to you, and yes, I'm sure a nice steak for all his nursing will be much appreciated!

• Like 2

glad you're feeling better and impressed at ruffy's inner nurse coming out. i agree that all animals are empathetic, domestic animals are more empathetic toward humans, and cairns are especially empathetic. in the normal rough and tumble cairns figure everybody can take care of themselves, but we've seen it many times that if they suspect you need help, they try to provide it. they often use their insight into people for mischievous or plainly selfish ends, but when they want to they can use their insight to show real affection and concern. many dogs will, but cairns have a way of reading people that is uncanny. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Autumn & Lola said:

... have you been so ill since you've had him? Maybe he thought - ut oh! - this sounds serious - I better help! :D  

To answer your question: No. Thankfully I'd never been ill in the 6 years I've had Ruffy, so this was a first.

P.S. Over the last 4 days and nights my cough has finally diminished... And Ruffy is no longer hopping up onto my bed to sleep with me!?

Edited by sanford
  • Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Sorry to hear that you were ill, glad your feeling a lot better now.  I truly believe that Ruffy new that you were sick and wanted to comfort you.  It may have even scared him a little seeing that you've never been sick like that before.

Maisie really hasn't tried to comfort me when I haven't been feeling well, although I haven't really been sick enough to warrant it, although, whenever I sneeze, Maisie will come up to me, no matter where she is, and stare at me.   One night my husband and I were sitting on the sofa watching television, Maisie was on her bed, when somehow DH accidentally hurt one of my fingers (arthritis) which led me to let out a loud yell of pain.  Maisie jumped up and ran over to me standing guard to protect me against my husband.  I'd never seen her do anything like this, she adores her dad.  I was amazed because she's seen me cry over a sad movie and it didn't faze her in the least..

Edited by LindaMC
  • Like 1

I think it depends on the dog's mood and yours, too. Nikki gets nervous when he hears a child cry. With me he either sits next to me, lifting his paw to ask for a scratch, or he goes off to another room and ignores me,   One time I was reading some heartbreaking news on my iPad and just sitting there with tears streaming down my face.   Nikki huffed and stared at me.  I wanted to finish what I was reading so I ignored him.  Next thing I knew, I had a lap full of thirty pound cairn and a paw smacked down on my iPad screen.  He has not done that since but if he thinks I'm paying too much attention to electronics, he paws my leg and demands to go outside.  

However just two days ago, he invited me to pet him.  He was laying near the kitchen table to so I go down on the floor and ma aged to whack the center of the back of my head on the ninety degree wood corner.  Ouch!  I didn't cry but before I could reach out to soothe myself by stroking some fur, Nikki toodled on past me to go eat his kibble. Which he was choosing to eat over the canned food I had offered him earlier... To further add insult to my poor injured head, he sauntered past me on his way back from his bowl, burped, and laid down out of reach.  Thank for the sympathy. Brat. My head hurt constantly for almost two whole days so it was not a minor bump!  But I guess since I laughed about him leaving, he figured I was fine and he got uppity.  He does not like being laughed at unless he does something purposefully to get that reaction. XD 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, sanford said:

P.S. Over the last 4 days and nights my cough has finally diminished... And Ruffy is no longer hopping up onto my bed to sleep with me!?

"Oh, good. He's not going to croak. My work here is done."   :D

• Like 4

19 hours ago, sanford said:

deleted repeat post

Edited by Autumn & Lola

19 hours ago, Lupinegirl said:

I think it depends on the dog's mood and yours, too. Nikki gets nervous when he hears a child cry. With me he either sits next to me, lifting his paw to ask for a scratch, or he goes off to another room and ignores me,   One time I was reading some heartbreaking news on my iPad and just sitting there with tears streaming down my face.   Nikki huffed and stared at me.  I wanted to finish what I was reading so I ignored him.  Next thing I knew, I had a lap full of thirty pound cairn and a paw smacked down on my iPad screen.  He has not done that since but if he thinks I'm paying too much attention to electronics, he paws my leg and demands to go outside.  

However just two days ago, he invited me to pet him.  He was laying near the kitchen table to so I go down on the floor and ma aged to whack the center of the back of my head on the ninety degree wood corner.  Ouch!  I didn't cry but before I could reach out to soothe myself by stroking some fur, Nikki toodled on past me to go eat his kibble. Which he was choosing to eat over the canned food I had offered him earlier... To further add insult to my poor injured head, he sauntered past me on his way back from his bowl, burped, and laid down out of reach.  Thank for the sympathy. Brat. My head hurt constantly for almost two whole days so it was not a minor bump!  But I guess since I laughed about him leaving, he figured I was fine and he got uppity.  He does not like being laughed at unless he does something purposefully to get that reaction. XD 

Ouch!  I could feel that myself. Hope your head is better.  Nikki - that little stinker!

• Like 2

I think you need to start volunteering at a local elementary school so you can catch all their germs and get extra cuddles from Ruffy! Sorry you were sick, and sorry Ruffy feels his nursing duties are over. 

Addie doesn't deal particularly well if I'm sick. When she was a puppy I had a terrible migraine unlike any I'd had before and by day three of darkness, she'd had enough and barked at me while tearing my blanket off my head. I think she was worried she wouldn't be properly cared for (even though my parents kindly took over; apparently if it's not mom it's not adequate care). Ever since, she'll give me extra cuddles for about 12-24 hrs before she decides I'm no longer allowed to be sick and she'll bark until I get off my butt. 

• Like 4

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley