CairnTalk

Swimming with dolphins

remltr

Several years ago, we visited the Dolphin Research Center in the Florida Keys.  They allow you to bring dogs in so Packy and Kirby got to watch the dolphin show.  Kirby got bored after about 20 minutes but DH had to hold Packy up for the full 45 minute show; he was fascinated.  You know Packy and fish!  You can swim with the dolphins there and they will even let dogs swim with the dolphins.  Packy begged and begged but as much as we love and indulge our dogs, we weren't going to pay $200 to have him swim with dolphins.  

• Like 5
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I have visions of Packy trying to drag a dolphin back to shore!:P

• Like 6

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

4 hours ago, kjwarnold said:

Several years ago, we visited the Dolphin Research Center in the Florida Keys.  They allow you to bring dogs in so Packy and Kirby got to watch the dolphin show.  Kirby got bored after about 20 minutes but DH had to hold Packy up for the full 45 minute show; he was fascinated.  You know Packy and fish!  You can swim with the dolphins there and they will even let dogs swim with the dolphins.  Packy begged and begged but as much as we love and indulge our dogs, we weren't going to pay $200 to have him swim with dolphins.  

Aww, that's a real shame but $200 is a bit steep!!

Great photo, remltr.  Thanks for sharing.

I can only imagine how uncontrollably fascinated Packy was, watching the dolphins.:P

Oh I would love to swim with the dolphins, and Kelly. I would be afraid to take Prissy swimming with them. She barks at all animals and I would be afraid she would drown.

That is a great photo, Thank you for sharing.

Haha - Packy would probably ride the dolphins.  Then he'd become famous and we would all have to pay to get in on his great adventures.  Sorry Packy didn't get his dream wish, but he is still famous in our little world!

Who'd a thought a picture like that could be posted and sure enough there is a story that goes right along with it.  Great pic - great story. 

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Idaho Cairns

As usual, Bonnie, in her klutzy way, is able to show us about how well a Cairn could do swimming with Dolphins, here is a graphic example of her swimming with Dogphins a couple of summers back.  As you can see there is a bit of a down side to this romantic Cairn type of adventure!

• Like 2

I was ready to dive into the picture to save her..yikes. What a sweetie!

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Idaho Cairns
46 minutes ago, Terrier lover said:

I was ready to dive into the picture to save her..yikes. What a sweetie!

I understand--you'll notice that little juke in the video as I moved over to the steps of the pool to get to her--fortunately she righted herself with that first nose up bob.  That old "take a lickin' and keep on tickin" Cairn attitude is always there.

• Like 5

I did notice dads little panic attack. :P  We all had that same little panic when poor little Bonnie got dunked.  Whew!  What a trooper!

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I was having a panic attack that whole video. Only time I was calm was when she got out of the water. It looked like she was trying SO HARD just to keep her head above water. Clearly she wanted to be there, but I'm a worrier. Good on you for being so brave and unflappable Bonnie!

• Like 4

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Addie hates hates hates water. I once convinced her to get in a public pool when it let dogs in the last day before it was drained for the season. Coaxed her in til she was up to her armpits, big dogs came flying by and splashed her and she was all, "that is IT mom! I have humoured you and now we are getting OUT."

also tried to cool her down on a exceptionally hot day by taking her to a shallow river up in the Colorado mountains. She sniffed it, touched one foot in it, and backed up. I gently lifted her and placed her in approximately 3 inches of water. She jumped like she'd been stung by a bee, ran out of the water like a greyhound racing, and wouldn't look at me or let me touch her the rest of the day. 

Clearly she isn't descended from the otter hunting Cairns. 

• Like 6

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Such a trooper - Bonnie looks so calm as she is swimming along....I found a tiny bumper for Pepper to retrieve that she can get her mouth around, however, she is not much of a retriever at this point.  When she swims (salt water) she snaps at the water the whole time...but does go in if I am on the other end of the leash.  We swim too close to the train tracks to let her loose!

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

Talk about panic. I almost threw my laptop trying to get to Bonnie, and spit my drink of coffee all over the place as well. Whew that was an awesome save little Bonnie. You took that well.

I have no idea what Kelly would do, or Prissy either. Kelly loves to be out in the rain, Prissy does not. Both will run hide if I mention a bath.

• Like 4

"Hey, Bonnie, Packy here.  I think you did a great job swimming and recovering from the big dogs!  But if I had been there, I could have rescued you.  I would have been your knight in shining fur and you could have been the damsel in distress!  

I practice rescuing my mom and pulling her to shore all the time.  I told her to find that video but she was busy, so here's one of me jumping in to save my dad."

http://youtu.be/pJUDb4eYoN8

• Like 9

Idaho Cairns

Put that rescue video up in another format Packy--when I try to watch it the label reads "Sorry, private video!".  I want to see that rescue!

• Like 1

Oops, sorry!  I changed the setting.  Mom didn't tell me I had to do that manually!

Edited by kjwarnold
  • Like 2

Idaho Cairns

Love it--great leap of faith there for Packy.  I wish we had access to good clean lake water here--unfortunately, this time of the year the reservoirs are all drawn down by the irrigation needs and we have nothing but mud for yards and yards.   But our girls got to swim in those great N.W. Arkansas lakes a couple of years back and loved every minute of the experience.

"Okay, Bonnie.  I made Mom do another video of me saving her life today so you can feel assured that I would be there if you needed me.  Same goes for all you other guys out there.  I take my lifesaving job seriously!  And since I might not always be around, I taught Kirby how to tow people in today, too.  He's not as strong as me but he did it.  I'm proud of the little guy!"

• Like 8