CairnTalk

breeder gifts and thank yous

Corn Niblet

Hi everyone,  I am trying to come up with some unique ideas for ways to say " thank you" to my breeder. I have been sending updates and pictures . (e-mail and snail mail) But he has been so helpful with me pestering him with questions on just about everything. I know a gift is not expected, and the right time for that may have past but maybe not.  Rocky is 6 months old now and I finally feel like I have some breathing time now.  Somehow a card doesn't seem like enough. I can't even imagine how hard it is to raise puppies and then to let them go.   Anyone have a good idea?  Thanks, Rocky's Mom

Cookies … a popular treat for any species :P 

Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, but my sense (and our limited experience) is that if you commit to and follow through with sending an annual card with a photo and brief note letting him know that Rocky is still in the world and loved you will be giving him a gift of great value and something that he will treasure and look forward to. That includes, eventually, the most difficult one of all to send and receive :cry: 

• Like 3

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Idaho Cairns

I would suggest that you offer the breeder your unreserved recommendation (if that is the case) for any further litters from this breeding pair.  I would think that any breeder would be very pleased to have former customers ready to discuss their experience with the breeder and the dogs they produce.
Gifts are always dodgy for folks you don't know well.

• Like 3

Speaking as a breeder myself long ago, I remember how the best gifts we ever received was pictures and stories about the pups we sent to people. Unfortunately these were all too rare.

Just keep sending videos and photos and stories. That's the best!

It is what I do for Angus's breeder. She is always so pleased hear and see how he has grown from the twelve week old pup she allowed me to bring home to a grownup who will turn five in Sept. There have been plenty of stories and I'm sure there will be plenty more as we go along together.

• Like 3

Great ideas so far,  I too like the cookie idea but I have a feeling he may be diabetic, just a guess. Maybe something Scottish?

• Like 1

A nice single malt?:P

I think the pictures and letters/emails would be wonderful.  If I was a breeder it would make me happy to know that one of my pups has found a wonderful home, not to mention the fact that I'd get to watch the pup grow up through pictures and stories.

A doggie welcome mat.  They have such cute ones anymore.  Gift card?  But all in all I agree just seeing Rocky grow up in thank you enough.  I would like to see Rocky too. 

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Dempsy's  mom, I love the door mat idea.  I did see one in the store the other day and thought it might make a good gift.  I have tried to get a picture of Rocky up for everyone to see but haven't been able to yet.  He is a red wheat color. His dad was a black brindle and his mom was cream.

• Like 2