CairnTalk

Addie's 5th Birthday

_whits_

On 29 April 2016, Addie turned 5 years old. Celebrations started yesterday, but we're having a birthday weekend extravaganza here in Northern Virginia. 

I tend to go over-the-top with Addie's birthdays, more for me than for her.

The day Addie was born back in 2011 was actually one of the most difficult days of my life. I had moved to the UK a few years prior for school and planned on building my future there. I had just finished my course of study, I'd been offered full-time work, and I was planning for a lifetime across the Pond. Unfortunately, in 2010 the Conservative Party ran on a platform of decreasing immigrants to the UK, and upon winning the election, they announced a series of numerical immigration targets.  Due to various difficult-to-change laws with Commonwealth and EU states, the only easy immigrants to send out of the country to meet the target of many thousands upon thousands of fewer immigrants were students and recent graduates from non-EU/non-Commonwealth countries. By 2011, the proposed legal changes took place just as I was preparing the paperwork for my Post-Study Work Visa, which meant in a matter of weeks the future I had planned was eliminated. I had to move back to the States, and fast. With no job and no housing organized in the USA, my parents kindly offered to take me in until I could find work. As I packed up my life and said goodbye to the future I wanted and prepared to go back to my childhood bedroom and a very uncertain job market, I was inconsolable. One night in April 2011 I was on the phone with my mom and in-between sobs I let out a wail, "If I had a dog this would be so much easier to bear." My lovely mother quickly said (and entirely to calm me down, with no real intention of following through), "when you get back here, you can get a dog and it can live with us until you find your own place." I seized the only consolation I could find, and took total advantage of my mother's kindness. 

Little did I know that the very week I was packing up my life was the week Addie was starting hers. On 29 April, Addie and her two brothers were born to a criminally underweight (she weighed 6 pounds after she gave birth) Cairn named Lori, who had been rescued the previous week from an industrial breeding facility in Missouri. Lori, Addie's dad Orin, 4 other adult Cairns, and 6 puppies (who had been saved from drowning the day of rescue) were brought to various foster homes across the U.S. Addie's little rag-tag rescue group of 15 Cairns all found forever homes by July of that year. Five years later, I have no doubt that Addie is the one who rescued me. 

This year on Addie's actual birthday, she opened her presents from me and my parents. My parents were so kind to give us both a home, they fell in love with their little granddog, and they spoil her rotten. They sent her a new bed and a cosy blanket, and a really pretty card. I bought Addie a doggie cot, so she has a comfortable and elevated spot to "watch television" from, which is what I call it when she sits by the windows for hours, searching for prey and guarding the apartment. 

Today, I took Addie to three pet stores. One local stores to buy her food and treats from, and then it took two additional chain stores to locate one with some rodents for her to stare at (one PetSmart had only empty cages!). She enjoyed contemplating the culinary delights of gerbils, guinea pigs, and hamsters. 

Tomorrow, we're heading on a dog-friendly nature walk in a local park. 

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2095-1.JPG

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 7

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2104.JPG

• Like 9

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

such adorable pictures of Addie! her grandparents and mum really spoiled her :) looks like she has a good view of the squirrels now from that bed! happy birthday Addie!!

Edited by Dustysmom
  • Like 1

Hi Whits,

I'm generally a lurker but I keep meaning to ask if your dad is a vet in Aurora Colorado.  If that's the case, I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of Addie at the front counter at Mission Viejo.  Dr. Bruce is our cairn's vet - in fact, this is the third cairn that your dad has taken care of for us.  He's doing a fantastic  job - our first cairn lived to be 18 and our second to 17.   Bing is just a puppy by those standards........she's only 10.

happy birthday Addie!

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Addie!  You have a lovely bed to keep a watch out of the window from!  Enjoy the rest of your birthday treats!

Licks from Ivy!

• Like 1

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

That was a lovely birthday tribute to Addie.  How wonderful that you found her and that each of you has enriched the other's life beyond measure.  Enjoy your birthday extravaganza, Addie!

• Like 1

You are as beautiful as ever Addie. Brit's loss. Addie's gain! BFF Angus

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing this moving story of you and the start of a wonderful relationship with this great little Cairn. I totally get that without having these wonderful animals in our lives, life would be so much less complete. Happy birthday Addie. :cake: :wub:

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

What a story! I'm glad you had a happy ending after all, and most definitely Addie did.  :)  A very happy birthday to you, Addie! :cake:

• Like 1

Cute photos! Happy birthday, Addie! Oban thinks you got a great new cot and wants one just like it - in front of the window, of course.

• Like 1

Happy birthday, neighbor! 

Thank you for sharing your story. It's a pretty incredible one. That's a lovely painting, too.

• Like 1

Happy Belated Addie!  You had a wonderful birthday!! :wub:  You sure are a pretty gal!  Love the first pic where you are all snuggled in.

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Wow - how beautiful is Addie????  Pepper says happy birthday to Addie!

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom