CairnTalk

Cairns not invited!

sanford

Go for it, Sanford!  This is clearly a case of either ignorance or discrimination.  You and Ruffy need to set them straight!:thumbsup:

• Like 4

original, indeed! there is no dispute in the history. cairns were entered in the studbooks last because they WERE the original stock from which these offshoots/upstarts were bred. whoever heard of such ignorance?  these people call themselves scots? better go down and help them out.

• Like 3

Oh, my . . . I clicked on the link and saw that Sam Heughan, the (Be still my beating heart!:wub:) male star of the 'Outlander' series will be the Grand Marshal of the parade.  Checking airline reservations for me and Buffy as we speak.:P

• Like 5

Oh good grief...how ignorant. They should do their homework. For that matter all Scottish terrier breeds should be allowed! Grrrrrrrrrrr. Where can we send an email?

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

So what would those people  think if one had a Cairn/Scottie mix? Huh.....no where I am sure does it say purebred!  I say all Scottish  terriers UNITE?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/b/bushlandterrier.htm

i just sent an email to the parade people. :w00t:

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

yes, and let's get the skyes in there. if they don't want to include our border cousins , dandie dinmonts, bedlingtons, airdales, border terriers and yorkies, well, okay. but cairns and skyes should be at the front of the parade! let the parvenues come up behind.

• Like 5

Just got an email back from the parade people. They  want the black  colour of the Scottie and the white of the Westie ....salt and pepper, like on the whisky bottles, for effect. They also said as long as the other Scottish Terrier breeds are well behaved they are welcome to join the parade! Yippee  ...so for those of you who live in the area with your Cairns...go for it. :party::party:

Here is the email

Hi Lynn - 

Thank you for your email. We are very aware of the many Scottish breeds of dogs. The Scottish & Westie unit is restricted to those two breeds because they have for decades been paired together as a salt & pepper duo (see Black & White Whisky, etc.), looking so fabulous chromatically and delighting to the crowd.

If the owner of another Scottish breed is marching with a group that allows them, then they are welcome to march with that group, provided, of course, that they are well-behaved.

All the best,

National Tartan Day New York Committee

--------- Original Message ---------
Subject: Parade

Date: 3/26/16 4:20 pm
To: info@nyctartanweek.org

I need to make a comment where you are only allowing two Scottish Terrier breeds. The Scottie and the Westie. If you do your home work Cairn Terriers are the foundation breed of all Scotties and Westies. The West Highland terrier in the past was called the white Cairn! To not allow Cairn Terriers in the parade is wrong. Very wrong! My highland Grandad was born in Campbell Town , Scotland and unfortunately is no longer alive but no doubt he would also have a few words to tell you about the Cairn!
Lynn

Sent from my iPad
Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Terrier lover said:

Just got an email back from the parade people...

Thanks Lynn! At least you made some headway where I failed 4 times: a phone call and an email last year and again this year, that the Committee never had the courtesy to respond to. 

The statement: "If the owner of another Scottish breed is marching with a group that allows them, then they are welcome to march with that group" is pure mumbo-jumbo. Westies and Cairns are the only breeds that are printed on the entry form. There is no place to write in Cairns or any other Scottish breed that the Committee claims would be "welcome"... "to march with a group that allows them"... Whatever that means, (which is nothing, except maybe obfuscation).

I guess I am enjoying this little tempest in a teapot too much, (It's a slow news day here in the city), but I can only wonder if James Buchanan & Co. Ltd., the bottlers of Black & White Whiskey, have something to do with this free promotion.

At any rate, I sent another email to the committee, restating your point re Cairns being the "foundation breed, etc."... I closed by saying that instead of being overlooked, Cairns should be afforded a place of honor in the parade!:)

Edited by sanford
  • Like 5

FEAR THE CAIRN!

:evil::evil:If i lived in New York and had a Cairn I would just join the parade!  And wrap a tartan scarf around his neck.  Of course if it was Jock, he would be challenging every male dog, Scottie , Westie and it would be a parade with a bit of excitement . 

• Like 2

I think all the Cairn owners in New York should bring their dogs and block the parade route.  Nobody would be brave enough to take on a large pack of Cairns.  The Cairn screech of death alone would stop the parade in its tracks.:P

• Like 7

Of course I  love my Scottie girl....and would love to be in that parade....with The Jockster with us in spirit. 

• Like 4

"The Scottish & Westie unit is restricted to those two breeds because they have for decades been paired together as a salt & pepper duo...."

as refrigerator magnets, yes. too bad their scottish parade is not about real things scottish but only about what is fabulously chromatic. and it is well-demonstrated that nothing delights crowds like cairns. this outfit is looking suspecious to me. they aren't offering titles as scottish lairds for 49.95 are they?

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, hheldorfer said:

Oh, my . . . I clicked on the link and saw that Sam Heughan, the (Be still my beating heart!:wub:) male star of the 'Outlander' series will be the Grand Marshal of the parade.  Checking airline reservations for me and Buffy as we speak.:P

Even more outrageous considering a CAIRN will be in the show Outlander this year! 

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

3 hours ago, pkcrossley said:

"The Scottish & Westie unit is restricted to those two breeds because they have for decades been paired together as a salt & pepper duo...."

as refrigerator magnets, yes. too bad their scottish parade is not about real things scottish but only about what is fabulously chromatic. and it is well-demonstrated that nothing delights crowds like cairns. this outfit is looking suspecious to me. they aren't offering titles as scottish lairds for 49.95 are they?

I guess they don't realize that Scotties also come in Wheaten and Brindle coloration and are not always black.....

Funny thing is I get the salt and pepper designation all the time when out with my brindle and wheaten colored cairns.....

• Like 4
Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

They should probably allow the American Eskimo and Black Lab in if the criteria is salt and pepper.

• Like 4

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Lola is *outraged* at this slight against her cousins!  And day-um, Lynn, you sure told them! (Could I interest you in a letter-writing campaign against the caterers at Doncaster Racecourse for charging £2.50/$3.55 for a small cup of tea? :D)

But yeah, I think they are being crafty with their wording! Did anyone ask in their email *how* a Cairn can register to walk?

• Like 2

http://www.scottieclubofdc.org/scottish-walk/

Hmm. I wonder if the Scottish Christmas Walk in Arlington, VA is off limits to Cairns, too? Mom and I first heard about the parade when Nikki was young, but we've never gone to see it.  

Maryland has a fun sounding event http://www.midmarylandcelticfestival.com/dog-events/

Edited by Lupinegirl

If I recall correctly (and I could be wrong because Addie and I haven't ever gone), the Scottish Christmas Walk in Alexandria involves various groups who sign up to participate in walking in the parade. Each group who participates gets to decide who walks with their group. I'm not sure what the requirements are for getting qualified as a group which is authorized to walk in the parade. 

The group that organizes the parade is http://www.campagnacenter.org/scottishwalkweekend

I do know that the Potomac Cairn Terrier Club does not participate in the walk, but they don't really seem to do all that much, at least publicly. And - in my experience - they aren't very open to people joining. 

Edited by _whits_

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley