CairnTalk

My oldest son and Kelly playing ball together

Lynn in TN

Some how I managed to flip the video and couldn't flip it back, sorry. I also couldn't turn on a light, so it wouldn't be so dark or Kelly would have stopped rolling the ball. I have been trying for 3 years to get a video of her rolling the ball. I have caught her a few times, when we couldn't play with her, rolling the ball to the wall so it would hit the wall and roll back to her. It's so comforting to know we can be replaced by a wall. haha 

I would love to get that on video.  Normally we are farther apart and she has to roll it harder but they were playing in the bedroom, not as much room in there. 

• Like 9

Idaho Cairns

I love this game--our daughter's Cairn, Zoey will do this for hours if you have enough patience.  She is so skilled with that nosing the ball it is incredible!  Neat video Lynn, I really enjoyed it.

• Like 2

Here you go Lynn. I downloaded the video and brought it in to Final Cut Pro and rotated it for you. Hope you don't mind.

• Like 8

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Thank you remltr! I don't mind at all!  I tried for 2 hours to turn it right and couldn't figure it out. I really appreciate it. Thank you so much for using your time for me. I was in a precarious position so she wouldn't see me and it filmed this way. I am afraid I'm very limited in what I can do on a computer.Anytime I do anything with photos or video it takes me hours (that I really can't spare). :lol:

Idaho, Kelly will do this for hours too, unless the camera, or my phone is out. haha If a ball is out she will play with it. I am amazed at how skilled she is with her nose. Sometimes she rolls it the length of the hall.

Adorable!  Buffy sometimes does this too, although she usually gets too enthusiastic and the ball goes shooting across the floor and under a couch.  I have gotten very good at fetching it, thanks to her training.  :P

• Like 1

Kelly is so sweet playing the nosing game. It is amazing how accurate they are with their noses both for speed and placement.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hheldorfer said:

...the ball goes shooting across the floor and under a couch.  I have gotten very good at fetching it, thanks to her training.  :P

Ruffy used to do the same thing, with the ball constantly going under the couch or bed. ? I would repeatedly have to drop everything and fetch it for him or else he would bark and bark and bark... No rest for the weary in this house until I found a simple remedy...?I got him a larger ball that wouldn't fit under the furniture!??

Edited by sanford
  • Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Adorable!

I'm jealous. :lol: If I lay on the floor to play with my guy, I end up with a furry tuckus backing up under my nose and parking squarely on my hand if I happen to have my hand on the floor. I am not allowed to touch the terrier butt when he is preoccupied with ignoring me, but when he wants to sass me, or get me to scratch him, he's very good at presenting his...ahem, best side. Lol.

Goodness these little dogs pack a big attitude, but they sure are funny characters.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sanford said:

Ruffy used to do the same thing, with the ball constantly going under the couch or bed. ? I would repeatedly have to drop everything and fetch it for him or else he would bark and bark and bark... No rest for the weary in this house until I found a simple remedy...?I got him a larger ball that wouldn't fit under the furniture!??

Now that makes perfect sense but I have a different solution to the problem:  New furniture.:lol:

• Like 2

I love this game, I have been trying to teach Maisie how to do for a while now but she still doesn't quite get it.  My chocolate Lab use to do this and he would play for hours.  Maisie prefers that I throw the ball so she can run and get it, which is fine with me.....it tires her out.:P  

Sanford....I have the same issues with the ball going under the couch or the TV stand and Maisie crying and barking until I drop everything and go after it.  No rest for the weary here either..

• Like 2

What fun! I could watch that for hours!

I'm so jealous of all of you who have Cairns who will play with balls. Addie's only interested in ones that are filled with treats, but in those instances I'm not allowed to join in.

• Like 2

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

18 hours ago, _whits_ said:

I'm so jealous of all you who have Cairns who will play with balls. Addie's only interested in ones that are filled with treats, but in those instances, I'm not allowed to join in. 

Like Addie, Ruffy is also only interested in ones that are filled with treats.

But it's strange that she won't let you join in... It's just the opposite here with treat balls... It started with Carrington. If the treat ball came in my direction, I would tap It lightly with my foot, sending it back to him. For some reason, my foot tap must have been jarring to the ball, because a treat or 2 would invariably tumble out and it didn't take long for Carrington to develop the skill to nose the ball to me, often guiding it from one end of the apartment, through several rooms, around the furniture, to wherever I was, sitting on the couch, standing at the sink, etc.

Fast forward some years, Carrington was gone and Ruffy became the resident treat ball player, nosing the ball to me, just like Carrington did! Is this channeling? Or coincidence? Probably neither - I think these cairns are just so food-driven that it only takes them a few tries to realize the treat benefits/rewards of including uprights in their game!

P.S. My only complaint with treat balls is that they basically seem to have large holes, for large treats. Ruffy would put on too much weight if I used large treats, so I use small ones, (Charlee Bears, Bitz), but too many often spill out at one time, ending the game too soon!

Does anyone else have this problem? :huh:(I've actually come up with a few ways to "retrofit" our treat balls, so they are more cairn-friendly, allowing only one or two small treats to come out at a time, but it's too complicated to go into here).?

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

2 hours ago, sanford said:

Does anyone else have this problem? :huh:(I've actually come up with a few ways to "retrofit" our treat balls, so they are more cairn-friendly, allowing only one or two small treats to come out at a time, but it's too complicated to go into here).?

I have the same problem with a ball given to Angus. The hole is too big for Charlee Bear sized treats. Tried taping over part of it but he tore the tape off! I gave up and just use it as a ball or tug toy as it has a handle.

8 hours ago, sanford said:

Like Addie, Ruffy is also only interested in ones that are filled with treats.

But it's strange that she won't let you join in... It's just the opposite here with treat balls... I

For whatever terrier reason, Addie only allows me to play with her if she is the one who initiates it. I have to play hard to get. And even then, I haven't managed to convince her I'd be a good treat ball buddy. She seems convinced I'm going to steal the ball and the treats for myself. 

I can occasionally initiate chase, but usually she's the one who starts the game. She's a profoundly independent and opinionated little lady. Thank goodness I let her on my bed 3 summers ago, or I never would have discovered she'll let me cuddle her in bed. 

• Like 3

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley