CairnTalk

Addie's Getting A Dental

_whits_

Tomorrow morning I drop Addie (age 4) off for her first dental, and her first time under anesthesia since her spay (at age 6 months). Her vet has been very conservative, and only now decided that the tartar on Addie's teeth warranted the procedure. I have a wellness plan as part of her insurance that will cover the entire procedure. 

I know it's the right thing to do, and I know having good dental health will go a long way towards maintaining Addie's general health, but I'm still a bit worried. I lost my childhood JRT (the phenomenal Freckles) when she never recovered from anesthesia after a dental. She was 12, and her kidneys weren't in great health, so I know the risks are far different now. And I know having this dental will go a long way towards preventing the periodontal disease that left my childhood Maltese with very few teeth by the time she was 8. But it doesn't keep this worried mom from being a worried mom. 

I'm trying to focus on giving Addie loads of cuddles and love tonight, and then putting my mind towards brushing her teeth every day to keep her teeth healthy leading up to her next dental. But it doesn't make the procedure any less daunting for me. I drop her off at 7:30 tomorrow morning and hope to get her how by 5:30 tomorrow night. 

Thanks for letting me vent. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I totally get your worry. When Jock used to go in for dental work I was in a real state. But if you have good vet who has done blood work and has checked out Addie's heart etc, no doubt , being young, will fly thru with flying colours.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

It's a wonderful thing you're doing for Addie...taking care of her teeth.  Whether (or not) daily brushing is being done, our pups are just like us in that they need a thorough brushing now and then.  I'm all too familiar with the worries of putting my (our) babies under anesthesia.  I liked Brad's statement, i.e., "We do what we must."  Keep us posted. 

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

I know how hard it is *not* to worry when one of our babies has to have anesthesia, but I'm sure Addie will come through it just fine.  With her charms he'll have the vet tech hand-feeding her liver treats and fanning her by the end of the day.  Good luck and please keep us posted!

• Like 1

A good friend of mine - now gone and I so miss her - used to say "worry comes with love."

Hope you get the call that Addie is okay very soon...

• Like 2

Your worries are 100% understandable. Be sure to let the vet know about your past experience with Freckles, so he/she will understand the reason for your concern and take appropriate precautions in monitoring Addie during the procedure.

Oops! Ijust looked at the time of your post, so I guess the procedure is over. Let us know how Addie did!

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Addie is home and in my arms. 

She had the procedure from 12-12:45. Mild tartar, no extractions. She's slowly waking up from the anesthesia. 

We had a snow storm this morning and now it's turning into an ice storm, so her hospital decided to close early and had me come get her at 2:15. They sent me home with some cool before and after pictures and the owner's personal cell number.

She's very groggy, but is cuddled up in my arms on the couch as I try to stop her from making decisions. She's pretty wobbly on her feet and half asleep but thinks she can still scare off the neighborhood birds and jump on and off the furniture. I'm acting as both her personal couch and a restraint. 

I'm so glad it's over but so glad I have the means to do this for her. I will keep you updated as she becomes more coherent.

Thanks for all the well wishes and kind words. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

image.jpeg

• Like 1

There you go..all is well. Always a huge relief! Don't be surprised if you get some strange behaviour from her. Jock always acted weird and walked around looking anxious, however that stopped when the anesthetic wore off. I also used to put him in his pen with a pillow in a dark room. He seemed to appreciate that. I am sure the clinic has told you but make sure not to give anything to drink or eat while she is still zoned out. Hugs to you and Addie. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

B) 

Edited by Terrier lover

If you asked me when I was 15 how I would be spending a holiday weekend afternoon at age 30, it probably would not have included my absolutely delighted cheer when Addie stood up and steadily but slowly schlepped across the room, climbed into one of her beds, and licked her lips. I literally said "Fine motor skills! Yeahhhhhh!" And I wouldn't change it for the world.

Addie was sent home today a few hours earlier than the veterinarian would have preferred but the storm necessitated getting dogs home and staff off the roads before the ice came in. Her regular vet (she didn't have surgery openings) and the clinic owner who did her dental sent me home with great instructions and my dad the veterinarian (in another state) called me regularly to make sure her recovery was going as expected. Thankfully my work at my dad's vet clinic familiarized me with the extreme grogginess and what to look out for in terms of complications.

Addie ate two tiny meals of rice and turkey over the course of tonight, and perked up every time she heard the cutlery hit her bowl. She's been a trooper getting carried out to potty in the 4 inches of ice at our apartment complex. Her last potty at 11:15 even resulted in her going back to her pulling ways. 

She's sound asleep on my bed and still can't quite figure out what the heck happened to her today, but I feel so much better knowing she's about to turn 5 with a squeaky white full set of teeth, a clean bill of health, and comprehensive insurance.

It's the greatest honor of my life, shepherding this 20lb ball of fluff, attitude, and love through her time on earth. I hate the worry that comes with it, but we do indeed do what we must and worry does come with love. 

Thank you all for your kind words and support, today and for the past 4.5 years. 

• Like 5

Can anyone recommend a good allergy-friendly chew treat that might help break down tartar? I've been giving Addie either Science Diet T/D (3-5 large breed pieces of kibble) or CET Hextra Chews (1 stick) every night for the past few years to help limit tartar build up. They've worked great, but Addie has some possible food allergies so we're embarking on a limited ingredient diet for a couple months to see if that alleviates her red eyes and feet licking. However, all dental chews I've found seem to have either chicken, beef or grain. 

Can't help you with the chews but just wanted to say I'm happy Addie has recovered so well.  She should be back to full Cairn mode within a day or two.  Give her a belly rub from me and Buffy.:)

• Like 1

Perhaps make some your self? Lots of simple good recipes if you google or go to your local library.  it's been my experience with food allergies, that staying away from grains and any kind of poultry seemed to really help Jock and now Rosie.  Feeding Rosie grass fed bison has been a total turn around in the look of her coat (now very shiny and no dandruff) and very little issues in itching.

You are such a great mum Whits, Addie couldn't ask for better care. 

• Like 2

Haven't found any chews to help clean dog's teeth. Seems to me they are all like us eating cookies and like with us they tend to stick to teeth not "floss" them. I have a lot of arthritis so daily tooth brushing difficult. The thing that works for Angus is a bone. I get beef rib bones from a local processing plant. I give him one  every few months and watch him. Take away the nub in case he swallows it. A fresh bone is relatively "soft" and "flexible". He scrapes and scrapes at the bits and pieces on it. He gradually breaks it down.Takes about an hour. His teeth seem to be in great shape. His vet takes a look when we go fro checkups. The canines are the only ones I have to work at a bit. I did discover that giving frozen or defrosted bones not so good. They tend to be brittle and he can break larger pieces off.

Another possibility is to feed raw if you have a butcher available which we do out here. Local grown organic meat is available at the farmers market and from a local health food store. I have not done this because I am concerned I would not get the nutritional balance right. And with the frozen or freeze dried it's not the same texture as fresh. 

Angus is a big chewer and he chews nylabones too and I think they may help a little bit.

With other dogs I've had I had dental checks like you with Addie. Hate do do it because hate to put them under. 

That said dogs' teeth are like peoples - vary with each individual. Some have problems no matter how well looked after some are fine.  It's not easy figuring what to do.

Addie is very lucky to have such a caring Mom:)

• Like 3

Basically agree with Hillscreek and Terrier Lover re chews, etc. Wouldn't your Dad, the vet be able to advise you? I think most of us would give our right arm to have a vet in the family!?

That aside, beef knuckle bones, etc. are considered to be effective, but some vets have told me that a they have been known to cause a cracked or shattered tooth. Like many things, this is a judgement call and there may be no definitive right or wrong answer and some dogs genetically have stronger teeth than others. There are liquid water additives sold in pet supply shops that claim to prevent or diminish plaque buildup. Nylabone makes one of these and I'd be interested to know what your Dad, the vet has to say about them! All else aside, brushing works best, if your dog allows it.

P.S. An easier alternative to fresh meat from the butcher might be "fresh frozen" found in the freezer chests in pet stores. These come with appropriate added vitamins, nutrients, etc., so you don't have to do any guesswork. Primal is one brand, and it comes in a variety of fish, rabbit, venison, etc. in addition to standard beef, poultry.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

4 hours ago, sanford said:

Wouldn't your Dad, the vet be able to advise you? I think most of us would give our right arm to have a vet in the family!?

There are liquid water additives sold in pet supply shops that claim to prevent or diminish plaque buildup. Nylabone makes one of these and I'd be interested to know what your Dad, the vet has to say about them! All else aside, brushing works best, if your dog allows it.

My dad and Addie's Virginia vet recommend regular brushing with CET toothpaste, and suggest supplementing with Science Diet T/D large breed kibble (as a treat, not as a diet as it is high in fat) and/or CET Hextra Chews.  The treats don't do much on their own but they are an improvement over any non-dental treat and there are studies showing it does incrementally contribute to improved dental health. Brushing is best, but adding dental-focused treats to brushing has been show to decrease tartar even more.

My dad specializes in geriatric care and will freely admit that he respects but lacks the specialty knowledge when it comes to dermatology. Addie's regular vet has suggested I see a dermatologist if her limited diet recommendations don't improve things. As such, neither have a grain, beef, poultry-free dental chew recommendation, which is why I thought I'd ask the lovely people at Cairn Talk, as I know many of you have personal experience with allergy issues. 

Her teeth look fabulous and her breath smells like puppy breath again! It's so nice! I can't get enough kisses . . . well I can't even when her breath stinks since Addie is Miss Give Me Space. 

She must have teeth made of titanium though, because even the dental couldn't remove the little silver mark down one of her canines that she got after she tore her crate door open with her mouth last year. The fact that that incident didn't crack any of her teeth but did leave a permanent mark makes me think her teeth are stronger than most. I have to be thankful for her genes (which is unexpected, considering the lack of nutrition her mother received at the industrial puppy farm she was rescued from while pregnant with Addie).

She has a small rash on her IV site that broke out yesterday, but it appears to be healing quite fast with an antibiotic cream and a bandage I have to keep reapplying as she tears it off every time I take my eyes off of her. 

The next challenge is regular toothbrushing. I have to get better at that. 

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 3

Addie's teeth do look nice.  So glad everything went well.  We had our annuals last week.  All is well except Dempsy has a bad tooth.  I made an appointment to have his teeth cleaned and that one tooth extracted for mid-March as we are traveling to New Orleans next week.  So Demps and Els will have to be kennels a week - then it takes them about a week to adjust back to normal - spring planting will be right around the corner - so my best bet is mid-March.  I too worry about my little Demps.  Blood work is done. 

It cost me about $300 for the annuals and now about $400 for the dental.  Plus they found a cracked tooth on Elsie.  :huh:<_<:(

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Dentals add up. We're having all four this week.  Stella and Echo tomorrow and the boys on Wednesday.  Stella has lost some teeth already in past years so we're hoping she doesn't lose many (or any) this year. 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club