CairnTalk

Dempsy and I are in Deep Dog Dodoo

Dempsy's Mom

Crap.  Sometimes that all you can say.  Sometimes there is just no resolving.  You can't turn back the clock.  You just bite the bullet.  These are the thoughts that have been running continuously through my mind.  I mad a bad mistake and Dempsy made an even huger mistake.

This morning was a whirl wind of activity.  It was about 7:45 am and the seed semi pulled in to deliver our soybean seed.  So I hurry, pull on a coat, slip on my boots, stick a stocking cap on my head and I was just ready to shut the entryway door on Elsie and kitty when Dempsy scooted in.  Whatever and I pulled the door shut.  A couple hours later I returned.  Came in the entry and saw a stocking cap shredded on the floor - "No big deal," I said to myself.  Then I glanced over at the kennel and I saw their bed ripped.  Still. Not  big deal.  Then my eyes fell upon Jim's new $80 shoes.  My heart sank.  I gently picked up a shoe and almost wept.  "OK, now let's not panic."  Dempsy is looking up at me, bright eyes, tail wagging, so proud.  "Demps.  What did you do?" ..... Ok.  I can fix this - I always think I can fix everything and make it better.  Duct tape?  Brown shoe polish in the big gouge at the back of the heal and maybe Jim won't notice?  Shoe repair man?  My only sure win out is to run to town and see if I can buy another pair of shoes just like it.  Another $80 for peace?  Dempsy got one shoe good and put a little nick in the other.  Crap.  I am still deliberating on what I should do - should we fess up or fork out? 

I knew better than putting the two dogs together.  Dempsy always looses his marbles when he's with Elsie - goes into that seek, attack, destroy mode.  Personally I think it's the male in him.  Now this is all I can think about.  I put Jim's shoes in the closet. (Where they should have been!!)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I would run into town, buy another pair of shoes for Jim, then bury the "old" ones! The last thing you want is Jim banishing Demps to the chicken coop! Mind you I would have to travel south and have a word with him then.:soap::soap:. A bit like one of our old political leaders here in Alberta who was infamous about making a statement on mad cow disease, "shoot, shovel and shut up".

I didn't know Demps got upset when left alone with Elsie? How come? Does she attack him ? Or?

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Boy...that is a tough one! I agree buy shoes. Then tell story......in the end Jim WILL have shoes to wear....and Demps will have to do double duty in working off the $80 in farm management. ;)

These things do happen....I know you already know that. But to keep peace and Jim in shoes. I would buy the shoes. And some how have a GREAT meal to go along with the story.

• Like 2

I like Shergry's suggestion.  Yeah, $80 is a lot to plunk down for a new pair of shoes but what would be even worse is if *Jim* had to go out and get them.   If you have to fess up it won't be the worst thing in the world.  Jim may throw a fit but it will blow over fast enough.

What the heck happens when Elsie and Demps are left alone together anyway?

I don't know what triggers it, but it's every time Demps and Els are locked in a room together.  I should put a camera in the room  - "The Great Reveal" - who knows maybe Elsie is the true culprit.  I still think its got to do with Dempsy's male ego.  To rub salt in the wound Dempsy and Jim have never been best of friends.  Those two pick at each other constantly.  Dempsy barks at Jim every night when he comes to bed.  Then Jim teases him by pretending he's coming up the steps - Dempsy goes into his frenzy and Jim turns around and goes back to paperwork or TV or whatever.  Then we get to do it all over again when Jim really turns in for the night.  Nightly chaos.  ..... Anyway I think so too.  Hopefully they will have the same shoe in his size or I will  have to order it on-line.  I will have to get it done before we want to go anywhere .... and it's Friday .... have I said Crap yet?

Just went on-line they have one pair in stock, size 10, in town.  Now if I can just get there - 30 miles away and I was just there yesterday. :(  Ugh.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Quick, go get 'em. Fix favorite meal. Fess up. Make light hearted joke about putting stuff away. Wait for thunder and lightning to blow away. Make another vow to keep Demps and Elsie apart when left alone .......little so and so's:lol: I know it's not funny but it does evoke memories for me. Can smile now but not in the moment. :hug:

Haha.  Jim just stopped in for a sandwich.  Dempsy met him at the door.  "There's that little _______ that tries to bite me every night!" Jim proudly announces.  Dempsy just wags his tail and leads the way into the kitchen.  Jim sits down and Dempsy sits by him on the floor - Dempsy glances at me with smiling eyes - I bite my lip - almost like he's antagonizing Jim.  Demps has this clever little - "Gotcha" look.  Careful Demps ... secrets have a way of nipping you in the bud.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh dear. Would he notice if you didn't say anything and just bought another pair and put them in the closet, or would the new ones look too obviously new?

• Like 1

Why fess up! Just buy them, put them up in a high spot and keep quiet. Heck I dinged our 4

runner  about 10 yrs ago. Managed to hide the damage for a few week by parking in a certain spot. DH went on a business trip for a couple of weeks, I quickly got the vehicle in the auto body shop. Bobs your uncle...never told my hubby for about 2 yrs. Why :P:Pcause anxiety when there is no reason to do so. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

The newest new shoes are perfect and are in the closet and the ate up new shoes are in my car yet.  No Jim won't have a clue.  At my leisure, I think I am going to take the chewed up ones to a lady who sews the tarps on our semis rip and see if she can push them back together enough so Jim could wear them as old shoes.  So, for today, the crisis is diverted, everybody is happy and I won't have to confront it until I want too.  I probably should of scolded Dempsy, but I was in shock.  This will be the 3rd pair of Jim's shoes .... now that's over 7 years so that's no so bad ... is it?  Of course there were the leather gloves ... the hats ... pet beds ... oh well

• Like 4

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

i think we have lists here somewhere of all the things that happy cairns have totally destroyed. somebody should add up the total value for the group, would probably equal the national budget of portugal. i'm sure dempsey and ellie are impressed with the way you handled it --like you are already an honorary cairn. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Dempsy's Mom said:

The newest new shoes are perfect and are in the closet and the ate up new shoes are in my car yet.  No Jim won't have a clue.

You should perhaps scuff the bottoms a little. ;)

(I'm really not a devious person! "No, honey, this is most definitely NOT a new handbag! I've had it for ages! You never notice anything I wear!" :D)

• Like 4

Already done Autumn. :PHehe - That new handbag - Making a good story extra good by adding a few sprinkles of fantasy - Fixing a material possession by not really fixing it but rather by replacing - Offering a piece of homemade pie, without confessing that you didn't bake it, the neighbor did .... Adopting a pet and saying that you found him ... saying "The last time I saw your dog, it was heading east" and not saying that he was in a semi and headed for a good home in Iowa ... all makes life so much more enjoyable.  Devious, Dishonest, maybe even a little Ruthless ... but measured with good intent, a big heart and in search of happiness.  That's my feeling and I am sticking to it. :)

• Like 4

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

"Don't 'fess up"... "Hide the damage"..."switch the shoes"... "Adjust the truth"...etc., etc.

No wonder we love our cairn's so much... They have such pure hearts - even if we don't!:D:lol::D

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

My cute little innocent Kyra had me convinced for half a decade that the bad one was her brother, Brodee.  Nope, I finally got wise. I'd go for the camera proof if I were dempseys attorney. :)

• Like 4