CairnTalk

Halloween baby

Dempsy's Mom

On top of harvest we are calving.  I have 16 new babies and this one was from last night.  He was the nicest little bull, but now he is the nicest little steer.  Dempsy and Elsie checked my work out to make sure it was done correctly.

post-4719-0-87418300-1446397311_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Calving in the fall? I thought that was a spring thing ? Are the pups interested in the prairie oysters...:)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Dingy old bulls forgot what they were supposed to be doing.  Men.  We band our babies instead of cut them.  So it takes a while for them to dry up and fall off. This little guy was so sweet - he just sat there - no rope - no nothing.  Mom didn't even come over and investigate what we were up to. ? I am finding out that the moms are meaner in the fall.  They must know that that means nursing in the winter.  Yikes. 

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

We band our babies instead of cut them.  So it takes a while for them to dry up and fall off. 

:blush: Wow! Too much info for this city slicker's delicate ears!  :shy:

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

We band our babies instead of cut them.  So it takes a while for them to dry up and fall off. 

There are some things you just don't want to know . . . 

It's a long, long way from Manhattan to South Dakota, Sanford. :P

• Like 2

No, no, Sanford.....it's not the *ears* they do... :D

• Like 3

Love you guys! Demps, Els and I are heading out the door to check on cows.  They love their morning routines.  Elsie will be with me again today in the grain cart - because my combine is in the shop.  Nice days ahead - we should wrap it up this week and then Dempsy will have us again. Thanks for the laughs.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

One of the reasons I love this place is it provides a view into totally different realities (other than my own).

Love to you and yours, Lori.  T.

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Well ... that baby is fine and out running with the bunch.  Then the other day I was in decorating mode - which takes me over once in awhile.  I have to stop myself - told Demps and Els that we have a lot of other more important things to do.  So we all jumped in the gator and went out to check the cows that are left to calve - 4 of them.  One, Two, Three - "Where is the 4th you guys?!"  Demps and Elsie help me look and then we found her over by this pile of posts.  The calf was sticking out of her and his tongue was dry.  "Crap guys.  I think we lost this one."  So we tried to get her up to the barn but she was mad and wouldn't go - plus she was sore and hurting.  I called Jim and told him we need a pickup.  He came out with the pickup and we nudged her up to the barn.  She wanted to take Jim so Dempsy, Elsie and I drove her in the barn with the gator.  Put her in the head gate - put chains around his front legs and hooked that to the puller and began to pull him out.  I cranked and cranked.  Dempsy and Elsie were in the gator with their front legs perched up on the back seat so they could see.  They didn't say a word - just looked concerned.  Finally the big old calf fell to the ground. "Holy cow he's a big one!"  Jim and I bent over the baby.  "Is he dead?"  and then there was a flicker of the eye lid.  "He's alive!"  We hoisted him up on the calf puller and let him drain a bit.  We took our hands and went down his body with long stroked from his stomach to chest.  Soon he started panting breathes. It was a success.  Mom is in a much better mood now.  Baby has a little work to do on his ankles.  He was so big that his ankles curled a bit so he has to get them stretched out.  Elsie and I go out and bottle him.  He is the sweetest.  Elsie licks him and gives him kisses on the nose.  Dempsy just looks at him from a distance and is happy he is alive.  He is so big that I can't lift him - so this morning we will rig up a hammock for him so he can work on his ankles better.  Mom just stares at him in disbelief. :)

• Like 5

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

"He's alive!" 

Hey Lori... It may just be part of your daily routine, but it was awesome to read how you saved the life of this cow and her sweet calf!

Hats off to you and Jim! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

<<Put her in the head gate - put chains around his front legs and hooked that to the puller and began to pull him out.>>

Wow, the world's biggest forceps!

Holy moly, what a story!  Congrats to the four nurses!  Well done! :)

• Like 1

Farm life is really amazing. Ditto what Sanford said...you saved the life of this cow and her calf. Farm Manager Dempsy and Nurse Elsie were there to help.

• Like 3

I sometimes watch the television show called Dr Pol and I always think of you Lori and the tough job of dealing with big and angry livestock . I can't imagine what those momma cows go through sometimes to have a calf on the ground..yikes!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Ya know the crops are ok - but it doesn't give the satisfaction of dealing with livestock.  I wish I could of taken a picture of Demps and Els in the back of the gator with their front legs hanging over the seat and their eats perked up just watching with amazement. They were so cute.  When the baby was out and Jim and I were peering over him and we saw his eyelid flicker - Jim immediately got down on his knees and covered the calves mouth while blowing air into his nostrils.  Then we hung him up and let him drain a bit.  Happy to tell you this giant baby is doing real good.

I remember one time we had a calf fall in a water tank.  It was cold out.  Jim laid with the calf out in the barn.  Stuck him in warm water, tried to warm him and rub him, but he was frozen inside and he didn't make it.  But seeing Jim lay with that calf in the straw throughout the night - well that is what makes me love him.  People that love animals are so very special.

Happy animals = Happy people:)

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 6

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Lori, I don't think there's a single one of us who wouldn't love to spend a day in your shoes.  (Of course, one day is probably all any of us desk-bound city slickers could take!)

Seriously you do more  living in one day than most of us do in a year.

• Like 2

Lori, I don't think there's a single one of us who wouldn't love to spend a day in your shoes.  (Of course, one day is probably all any of us desk-bound city slickers could take!)

Seriously you do more  living in one day than most of us do in a year.

Maybe boots would be better. Kind of sloppy on the farm. :)

• Like 2

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2015, 14:16:22, Dempsy's Mom said:

People that love animals are so very special.

A million times *this*.

On 10/11/2015, 13:04:18, Hillscreek said:

Mud boots are on sale at our farm store right now!

Oooh, what colors do they have? ;)