CairnTalk

Dempsy Irish?

Dempsy's Mom

Today Dempsy asked me if he was Irish?  Hmmm.  OK - well, cairns originated from Scotland so does that make them Irish?  I was a little hazy on my answer to him, but in the end I said "Yes, Demps.  You are Irish."  or at least your name is.

I am having calves like crazy today - 4 so far - everybody wants to be Irish!  One nasty mom, who is really sucking up my time.  I have just enough time to throw Dempsy's question out there to you guys.  Now I need to go out and make sure everybody is happy in the barn.  I will check back for any feedback.

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

right. i believe irish are the original breed of everything. redmon had an irish name too. on a more technical note, the west of scotland was settled by irish, and who knows but that they brought their dogs along. evidently only glen of imaal stayed behind. there was more room after the emigration, so glens could grow bigger. ha, not really. i think the early dogs of ireland and scotland were big things. hounds and setters and so on. the smallish terriers were probably a continental import (you know, like cairnolfini), something related to ancestors of the schnauzers and minpins. seventeenth century, these mop-haired, big teeth and feet, little terrier things started showing up in ireland and western scotland. 

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 1

Ever-so-slightly off topic. When I lived in Belfast, Northern Ireland I saw a 100+ year old stuffed Irish Wolfhound in a museum. I thought it was a mythical - or at least ancient no longer in existence - breed. Especially since it was nearly 5' tall on all fours.

And then I saw a real live one in San Diego. They're HUGE.

Some Irish emigrated to Scotland, Scots forcibly settled Northern Ireland, I'd say Dempsy probably has a wee bit of Irish somewhere (as do most American uprights).

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

No doubt my Scottish grandad Is rolling over in his grave Dempsey! You can pretend

To be Irish only for one day, but there is true highland blood running in those Cairn veins . Rosie is not celebrating St Patrick's ..she refuses. She says that no self respecting Scot can pretend to be either English, Irish or welsh. :)

• Like 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

No doubt my Scottish grandad Is rolling over in his grave Dempsey! You can pretend

To be Irish only for one day, but there is true highland blood running in those Cairn veins . Rosie is not celebrating St Patrick's ..she refuses. She says that no self respecting Scot can pretend to be either English, Irish or welsh. :)

Ditto Angus!

Whits - I love the wolfhound.  Their body amazes me.  To bad the have such a short life span. 

Ok, Irish for a day. Dempsy must of had a nightmare last night - he came over and crawled in bed with us in the middle of the night.  He slept great after that. <_<

• Like 3

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori