CairnTalk

Outlander

tlwtheq

Anyone gotten a glimpse of this new STARZ series called "Outlander"?  So far they've had

two episodes.  After the time travel, where the veteran nurse is transported from "post World War II", the basic plot is set in 1743, somewhere near the isle of Skye.  Waiting to see some Cairns running around...haven't yet.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

There was a show last week with Ben Stiller on the Isle of Skye.

http://www.nbc.com/running-wild-with-bear-grylls/episode-guide/season-running-wild-with-bear-grylls/ben-stiller/102

I didn't pay much attention to the people, was watching all the scenery instead. Didn't see any Cairns darn it. Or maybe I missed them. Malcolm has a way of taking my attention off of the tv.

I watched the first episode when it previewed a couple of weeks ago, then spent the next weekend reading the entire first book in what is apparently a still continuing series, and I've just watched the second episode. 

There are a handful of mentions of dogs in the book Outlander, although at least once it's a pack of dogs attacking a preacher!

About halfway-ish through the book, there are four dogs that belong to the character Jamie, though they're described as a rat terrier, two shepherds and a "huge black and tan monster" (I grabbed my book for reference). 

No specific Cairn mentions, but maybe we'll get lucky and the show will take the liberty to introduce a Cairn or two. Those 1740 castles must have needed some help fighting the rats. That being said, now that I check, the rat terrier is described as "a small brownish rat-terrier" so for all I know it could mean a Cairn, since the name wasn't in usage in the 1740s and we can't expect a 1940s English nurse to know all the names of Scottish terrier breeds. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Jock was sure he was a huge tan and black monster....so you never know. Perhaps a Cairnish monster will show up in the future. :)

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I love love love LOVE the books!  I don't watch pay television, but will definitely watch this when it comes on Neflix or Prime.  

yes, there was the black and tan monster...

• 8 months later...

Outlander has cast the part of Bouton, a dog who accompanies a nun in a French hospital for the poor, for Season 2. It looks like he/she might be a Cairn. Definitely terrier!

post-5434-0-94247400-1431150293_thumb.jp

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 2

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Bouton looks like a tough little guy/girl.  We're Outlander fans too.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for Bouton.

• Like 1

Have to say that, when visiting Scotland in 2012, we saw only one cairn the whole time. And we were in the west, on Mull and Skye and in the highlands. We saw lots of labs...

i always wonder about that.  I mean, about whether there's a Cairn on every Corner in Scotland.  As an example.

my Shadow, who crossed the bridge in 2002, had Irish parents.  Really?

So Saturday night's the last chance we have in this season to see a Cairn.  I don't think it'll

happen...the producers made it all about the romantic relationship between the 20th century time traveler and

the 18th century Scotsman.  The beases get second consideration. :mad:

Edited by tlwtheq

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

I knew nothing about the TV series, so when I saw this post heading, "Outlander", I was curious to see what it had to say about cairns, only to discover that it was about a lack of cairns!  :confused:

Disappointing, to be sure!!! The joke is on me! :lol:

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I knew nothing about the TV series, so when I saw this post heading, "Outlander", I was curious to see what it had to say about cairns, only to discover that it was about a lack of cairns!  :confused:

Disappointing, to be sure!!! The joke is on me! :lol:

But there WILL be a Cairn next season! And he plays a fairly large role in the book, so there's that to look forward to. 

There have been some gorgeous non-Cairns and of course the beautiful horses. 

post-5434-0-86612500-1432604976_thumb.jp

post-5434-0-98150600-1432604985_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Have bought a Amazon Fire Stick and so am trying out Amazon Prime on months trial so have started watching Outlander!  Only seen two episodes of Series one  of it so far but am hooked!  

Notice can also watch Mr Robot on Prime too.  Can see me spending too much time in front of TV in next few weeks!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

6 hours ago, josie&holly said:

Have bought a Amazon Fire Stick and so am trying out Amazon Prime on months trial so have started watching Outlander!  Only seen two episodes of Series one  of it so far but am hooked!  

Notice can also watch Mr Robot on Prime too.  Can see me spending too much time in front of TV in next few weeks!

Those are our two favorite shows!  Can't wait for the new seasons to begin!

Enjoying Outlander up to episode 8, but have just noticed there is more than Season 1!  So how many seasons are there?

Does she remain  two centuries back for ever?  Do not want spoilers though!

Josie and Holly -- there is a complete second season you have missed!  I think there are a total of 16 shows now.  The second season ended earlier this year.  Hope they have a 3rd, but have not heard anything to date.

Thanks, as half way through first season which is in 16 episodes, will certainly find myself watching the second one as think that is also streamed  on Prime!  

Season 1 was released in two blocks of 8 episodes, so 16 episodes total. The first block aired on Starz starting Aug 2014 and the second block aired starting in March of April of this year (it was a long and painful hiatus I'd prefer not to remember). 

Season 2 is filming now and is set to premier on Starz in March or April of 2016. The first trailer was released this month. 

The show has just been nominated for 3 major Golden Globes (best drama, best actress, best supporting actor), so hopefully that keeps it around for a while yet. That, and it's based on a series of books that is still being written (last I checked there were at 8 books, but I stopped reading at book 4 as I found the writing of the show to be far more compelling and less rambling than the books from 4 onwards). Each season of the show is meant to match a book in the series (no idea how they're going to do that with book 5, which I gave up on because it's around 1,000 pages but only covering 2 days; sooooooo tedious). 

In season two, I'm most looking forward to (no spoilers) the introduction of Bouton the dog, who will be portrayed by a Cairn Terrier! 

• Like 1

My viewing has been spoiled as the subtitles disappeared in episode 9, so have contacted Amazon as I tried all the things that were on Help page for streaming videos.  So Amazon are passing it to the Technical Dept!

I need the subtitles as being hard of hearing so hoping they sort it out.  Does not just affect this video but tried others too!

It is very irritating.  Thanks for telling me about the Seasons though.

Ok girls let's be honest ...yes the dogs are cute....but the main character....well does anything else have to be said!

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

1 minute ago, Terrier lover said:

Ok girls let's be honest ...yes the dogs are cute....but the main character....well does anything else have to be said!

Amen, sister!  ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The main character is rather gorgeous!  And managed to sort out subtitles so have now finished the first season of 16!  Though have to admit their were some scenes that I did not like to watch!  But now want to see Season 2 and cannot find it on Amazon Prime as yet!

Edited by josie&holly
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bouton makes his first appearance in Outlander tonight! I saw the episode early and he does an excellent job representing Cairn-kind.

The Behind the Scenes bit about this episode says that he's actually a rescue dog named Scamp. 

As for Jamie, I'm ready for him to get a hair cut. 

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 1