CairnTalk

Another Reason to Envy Living Down on the Farm

tlwtheq

Was just reading a financial magazine online.  It turns out South Dakota is the least

expensive state in the U.S. in which to live.  So Lori, you might have the company of lots

of us when it comes to retirement time.  :)   There's a lot to like about living down

on the farm!

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Was just reading a financial magazine online.  It turns out South Dakota is the least

expensive state in the U.S. in which to live.  So Lori, you might have the company of lots

of us when it comes to retirement time.  :)   There's a lot to like about living down

on the farm!

I bet that article failed to mention tornadoes and 3 ft of snow along with 40 below wind chills. Just trying to help you out Lori.  :lol: 

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

That's what keep the riffraff out.  You gotta have a tough skin and roll with the punches.  Sioux Falls always pushes for more, more, more but with more you get many and many comes with problems.  I would like us to keep it simple ... but I guess that's pretty simple minded.  Simple me. :confused:

... or maybe it's selfish me. :devil:

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Same in Alberta. Winters are long and hard at times but we don't have many many bugs and diseases that other parts of the country have. Although the thought of not having 6-7 months of snow is appealing.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Cheap is good but I'm not as hardy as Lori.  Chicago winters are bad enough!  (But Buffy said to tell you we'd love to visit.) :)

I'm going to have the best of both worlds!  My husband I and just bought 10 acres of raw land here on the Nature Coast of Florida (about 8 miles as the crow flies to the ocean).  No snow, no frost, teeny tiny tornadoes, and well out of the hurricane flood evacuation zone.

Murphy is looking forward to following in Dempsy's paw steps and becoming the Farm Manager one day.

• Like 2

Another place for us to visit!  Are you all going to build on the property?

We'd love REAL farmers to come visit!  We will build a home in a couple of years.  

(ps:  we started a blog to chronicle the blood, sweat and tears... it's under my profile if you want to check it out)

Now that I know that hens go with roosters and that chickens are both hens and roosters; and what the terms cow, heifer, bull and steer mean, I think I could handle this farming thing.  I wonder what color nail polish goes with hay? :)

I am actually in great awe of farmers. I could never do that type of work. I'm simply not tough enough! Hell, I ran away from some chickens in Alabama because I thought they were going to bite me and I was too scared to pet a friend's horse. Weak, uncoordinated and afraid to get hurt does not a good farmer make!

• Like 1

Another place for us to visit!  Are you all going to build on the property?

We'd love REAL farmers to come visit!  We will build a home in a couple of years.  

(ps:  we started a blog to chronicle the blood, sweat and tears... it's under my profile if you want to check it out)

I read a good deal of your blog.  Oy!  You two have been BUSY!

• Like 1

I'm leaning toward a little warmer climate with less snow!  Lately the winters here in Massachusetts have been rough, I can do with all the snow, wouldn't bother me in the least.