CairnTalk

Double Stick Tape

Roux's Mom

As mentioned in another thread, Roux runs under my bed any chance she gets, has shredded the liner to bits and is doing a good job on the wood frame. I've tried everything to deter her, including foot stomping and screaming fits (which she loves). I bought mouse traps but they're stronger than I thought and I don't want to hurt her so I 86'd them. I've used bitter sprays, squirt guns, begging, pleading and negotiating - I could work for the UN after living with a Cairn! Yesterday I had the brilliant idea to try double stick tape, which I've used in the past with cats, and stuck it to the carpet all around the perimeter just under the bed.

Well, this morning, the moment I opened the door to Roux's crate, she ran directly under the bed. I ordered her "out!", which she promptly ignored ... or so I thought. When I finally lifted the dust skirt to see what she was up to, poor baby was so tangled up in double sided tape she couldn't move! I spent the next half-hour slowly snipping it loose ffrom her hair, which she actually held still for. What a nightmare. But the minute she was free she acted like nothing had happened and was like, "C'mon Mom, time for our run in the park!".

Oohhh they are sooo naughty! I doubt if it will deter her. It's just one more fun day filled with more adventures to keep her up right from getting bored. :)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thanks to similar behavior from Addie, my bed frame went to the landfill and now my mattress sits on the box spring which sits directly on the floor. It has saved me hours of under the bed battles.

• Like 2

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Roux certainly is determined!  I cannot imagine what she looked like with sticky tape all over her. :D

Do you have anything you can store under the bed to block her access? Luggage, tubs of off-season clothes or spare blankets, etc.?  We have very limited storage so our under the bed space is crammed full of luggage and tubs.

It was indoor/outdoor carpet tape, which actually was pretty serious when Roux got wrapped up in it. She got groomed alright! I swear I am continually trying to do my best with this dog and seem to screw it up whatever I do ... I felt so bad for her! I literally had to scissor her out of it and she has the patchy coat to prove it

I would put the box spring on the floor if I hadn't just redone my room and spent a lot of $$$ on it. Box springs on the floor won't work.

I'm thinking cinder blocks.

I never thought of using tape to groom with. I'm from the South and Love my DUCK TAPE! I wonder how that would work stripping my girls? :P

Kelly liked to sleep under our bed a lot when she was a pup, and she never bothered anything. That is until she was 9 months old. It was winter and we had an electric blanket on the bed. We kept it plugged up, and only turned it on to warm the bed, right before bed time. Well I decided to clean under the bed and found both cords completely chewed into. they were still plugged up too.

How it didn't kill her and burn the place down I have no idea. It had been warm that week so we didn't use it. It could have been laying like that for several days. 

Good Luck with Roux. 

Poor Roux.  She was thankful that you helped her out of that "sticky" situation.  :P

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I had a similar problem with Maisie and our couch, the underneath portion hangs down to the floor in some places and looks terrible.  It was her safe place to get away from Tess after she was done terrorizing her.   Fortunately now that she is a lot bigger, she can no longer get under the couch, although the damage has already been done.

Yes, these Cairns can be very naughty at times....:) 

I am so glad I am not the only one whose dog has torn the liner up!! I keep picking up bits of it everywhere! The line is black so it shows up terribly on beige carpet. I don't even look under the bed as I'm afraid of what I will find under there! I know there are lots of socks and (cover your ears Brad) panties under there because my supply is dwindling. She has lots of nice, soft places to lay down, but on laundry day, she always plops herself in the middle of a laundry pile, stealing some items, no doubt when we're not looking.

Roux likes that black liner on the bottom of two chairs in the living room as well. I don't know what it is about that stuff.

Mom42, don't look under the bed! It's a new OMG!!! every time I do ...

Kelly liked that black liner under our furniture too, when she was a puppy. I used black such tape to fix it. haha

Kelly heard a mouse in the wall and dug a hole in the sheet rock trying to get it. We couldn't bring ourselves to stop her. We wanted to do the same thing. She was so cute and so focused on what she was doing. We watched and laughed about it. 

Then there was the time she tried to dig and eat through the entertainment center because her ball went under it and she couldn't reach it. lol  We couldn't help but laugh at her determination.  I can't make up my mind if she was cuter as a puppy or now.

Edited by Lynn in TN

I've been lucky with Malcolm. No furniture has been touched. Maybe its because he always has a bone or a toy or a rug or a sock to chew and rip apart. A few times I found things stolen from the laundry that are torn.

Yup - Oban just got my favorite purple Smartwool socks last week - took them right off the stack of clean clothes. 

Skylar just rips out carpet and chews the couch from underneath it. I'm trying the bitter spray. Definitely hope it works. I usually just cover up areas where she is tempted to cause damage. We have started using more puppy gates around the house just to barricade her out of places she can cause damage. Maybe you can do that at the entrance of your bedroom. She can go in when you are around to keep an eye on her. It would be a shame to have to replace all the work and money you've put into your room.

Funny enough they all sound so similar in that what we say doesn't get in the way of all the "fun" they are having.

• Like 1

Nope, just a challenge to get around. Like you said, part of their "fun". Some days I think it's cuter than others!

• Like 1

Baby gates everywhere clothes boots etc put up high x-pen a must. Leash to hand always . But dear Angus he grew up. Baby gates and x-pen gone. BUT laundry boots and anythig soft still high up just in case!

He trained me to be neater than I ever was before.

Love him so.

• Like 1

Baby gate on the guest room door, my bedroom door SHUT. Oriental carpet UP, laundry, shoes, tchotchkes out of harm's way ... yes my decor has become much more Zen. LOL!!! Roux thinks bitter sprays and hot sauce are delicious, displays relentless, repetitive OCD focus on anything she knows is off limits, and has leaned the word "come" means take off in the other direction, hopefully provoking one of those fun chases!

And then she asks to come sit with me, hops up on my lap, and just gazes at me adoringly with the longest eyelashes I've ever seen ... and of course I'm done.

Hang in there Skylar! And get out and walk. I've found a tired Cairn is a good Cairn

• Like 2

Some years ago, I found a product that I think was called Scat Mats. It was a flat, plastic mat that came in several sizes and had hard, raised bumps on it, used for keeping pets out of off-limit places. The bumps were so sharp and painful to the touch, that I was afraid Ruffy would injure his paws so I ended up returning the mat without ever using it.

Today, there seems to be electronic versions on the market, which are supposed to deliver a low-voltage jolt (which I personally might have some qualms about). If you google Scat Mats, you'll find them at Pet Suppliers, Amazon, etc.

I can't vouch for these, but wanted to pass the info along.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Yup - Oban just got my favorite purple Smartwool socks last week - took them right off the stack of clean clothes. 

That's where I'd have to draw the line, Kathryn.  *Nobody* gets my Smartwool socks!  They are too precious to share!

• Like 2