CairnTalk

Breeder near NY-not too expensive

prandaj

Hi everyone. I'm new to this board. I have decided a Cairn is the dog for my family and me, and I'm looking for breeders in the lower NY area. I visited a breeder today who was the lovliest person with the most wonderful dogs, but the price of the puppies is well over almost $2000 , and I can't afford it. I have been reading posts on this site and see that the price is usually anywhere from $500-$1000 which is more realistic for us. I'm very sad :( because I love this breed, and think it would be perfect for us, and I loved this breeder, but the price was just too much. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

"If I only had a Cairn."

Hi! Welcome to the forum! Have you used the breeder search on the homepage of this website? Just click on your state and if there's a breeder within 200 miles of you, it will list them.

Also, I would encourage you to check into adopting a rescue cairn. There are several great organizations and there are so many cairns in need of homes. Many of them are 12 months and younger. You will have to fill out an application and go through the approval process, but it's so worth it. The adoption fee is usually around $300.

Here are two links for you:

http://www.cairnrescue.com/

http://www.cairnrescueusa.com/

Good luck with your search. Let us know how it goes!

Thela

Thank you wheezie23. The only problem is that I have 2 children, boys aged 10 and 6. I know the first website will not let us adopt. My 6-year-old is very good with dogs, jn that he doesn't touch them unless he is allowed to, never bothers them, really keeps a respectful distance. We dog-sit my sister's Shih Tzu and he is great with her. But I don't think they will let us adopt with 2 kids in the house.

"If I only had a Cairn."

See if you can meet several breeders. There are lots of quality breeders in your area. You may find that you 'click' with some more than others and things like price and distance become parts of the decision, but not the whole decision. I fell in love with the first Cairns I saw (my wife had one growing up but I'd never met one) but we clicked better with a breeder we met later. Breeders are sometimes frustrating because the best ones (in my opinion) are far more interested in making a good 'family match' than in placing a dog at all. That often makes it seem like they are deliberately making it hard - and perhaps they are! If you think about how smart and persistent these little terriers can be, it's not surprising that many breeders are looking for owners who will be just as smart, and even more persistent :) It sounds like you are going about it the right way and doing your research - good luck!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thank you Bradl for your information and encouraging words. I will keep on trying! Also thank you again Wheezie23, I applied for a rescue dog through the second sight you mentioned, they will give to homes with children.

I have another question though, my sister met a woman with a Cairn and she said she got hers at a kennel. Is a kennel OK, or is it a glorified puppy mill? :confused:

"If I only had a Cairn."

I'm new here and only finding this site after our Cairn passed away last Friday. Now we are searching for another once our morning is over, if it ever will be! Back in March 1990 Tyler was purchased for $375 and after talking to the same breeder today

post-658-1101953175_thumb.jpg

Arf-arf, I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved dog Tyler. I have had Cairns all my life and each and every one is still deep in my heart. They are funny little dogs, and I will never be without one.

Arf-Arf, so sorry to hear of your loss. :( Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post during your mourning. It is greatly appreciated. Yes I would like the name of your breeder. You can't post it here, you have to email me directly.

"If I only had a Cairn."

Archived