CairnTalk

Raw Bones

Nena

I want to start Nena on raw bones and need info on which to give her, I am sure some of  you can help me get started. She is 7 and never had bones, I do give her bully sticks not regularly.

I can buy the bones from high end pet shop. I also have a collie and would like to give him bones too.

So I guess they would each need different size bones?

Any information would be appreciated.

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

I suggest to begin with to only feed marrow bones. As crazy as it seems I always microwave them for less than a minute, this softens the marrow, which I dig out . Marrow is very rich and can cause issues . I cut off any fat rinse the bone and give it to the dog. Don't ever give cooked bones as they splinter . Don't ever leave your dog alone with a bone and check the bone to make sure Nena isn't breaking pieces off. Overly careful I know but years ago Jock landed up in emerg with an impacted colon full of bone chips. It was very scary and a miracle that it didn't rip his colon. Hence the only feeding of marrow bones. They are way more difficult to break. Have you tried the deer antlers? They are great but you also have to keep an eye first off to see how things go .

I know lots of people feed bones and have no issues. Some dogs just can't manage bones and land up having diahrea or worse, medical issues.

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I do not give Holly bones now as she has diarrhea afterwards. She used to get a rib bone which she enjoyed enormously but I did not like having to wash bedding afterwards.......

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I fed Keira her first raw bone last friday. I got the oxtail bones . Trimmed most of the meat from them. They are neck bones and are somewhat small. My vet probably would have not approved,but the shine of her teeth and happiness made up for this. Had no problems with her  poops either and by this time, feel as if there was a problem,it would have already been noticed

I think about giving Angus a bone now and then but I've known dogs with severe impaction needing surgery, and with broken teeth. So the poor guy has to make do with nylabones.

Think oxtail bones might be from the tail of the animal not neck as per the name. Just as delicious probably. No doubt Elsie and Demps know all about this!

Oxtail soup (for humans) is very tasty and nutritious.

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 1

thanks for the information, I do know not to use cooked bones. I was just concerned about breaking a tooth and having stomach issues.

I know she would love it and our big dog too!

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

We had a nylabone Galileo that was briefly chewed, forgotten for literally 10 years, and then suddenly it was dragged out of the toy pile by another dog and was The Best Thing Ever until it got so small we had to take it away. There's just no telling. 

We've definitely had slab fractures from our preferred knuckle bones (beef, buffalo), even though they are softer than weight-bearing marrow bones. That would not necessarily stop me from feeding them (bones are pretty much nirvana for dogs), but neither would I be surprised if you do lose a tooth or two to the practice. As with everything, dogs differ, mileage varies, etc.

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Idaho Cairns

How can you even ask?  Cairns love raw bones and will worry them for as long as you let them push them around and gnaw.  They will work them for hours assumint that you can stand the sound of the things being pushed all around the deck, the gnawing, and the protective growls that accompany the ancient rhythm of canine feeding frenzy.  I think it does as much for their egos as their nutrition--it brings out the wild side but be warned, the hair around their muzzles get pretty gooey and nasty and that has to be dealt with.  Oh the shame of it all, dogs gone wild only to accompanied by a fantasy ruining human with a wet wash cloth.
Here is Bonnie working at the knuckle of a wild beast that she no doubt reasons was brought down with her relentless skill as a fierce hunter--even if the "beast" was obtained by Dad at the local custom meat place.
Believe me raw bones bring out the best of the Cairn.

DSCN0040.JPG

• Like 3

Please do not cook or microwave marrow bones, they are supposed to be given frozen.  When they are cooked, they become softer and there's danger of them splintering off when your pups chewing them.  Otherwise, marrow bones are great for dogs, they are loaded with calcium which helps prevent loose stools.  Not to mention how much the pups love them!

• Like 1