CairnTalk

Can You Keep A Secret?

Dempsy's Mom

I have little patience for bad-tempered alcoholics. I don't give a whit about the old "owner's" feelings if he is miserable, violent and drunk. Even if they subscribed to some kind of rural "old philosophy", surely they know you don't let a dog wander on the highway! My 66 year old ex grew up in the backwoods of West Virginia where the family's dogs would run free during the day. Still, he knows never to let Molly off leash or out of the fenced, locked yard.  People have (or should have) far more sense than that now. I think Lori did the best thing that could have been done in this situation. Let the old owners wonder (which I doubt they will, as they didn't seem worried whether or not the dog was safe or fed or sheltered before).

I am also the kind of person who would accept a dog under these conditions, and have. Although Lola wasn't taken from anyone, she was passed around to several owners and we were told she was a "pain in the a$$ and a little b*tch". When I saw her, I knew she was neither of those things. She was just a dog who needed discipline, patience, love and stability.  The corn dude just wanted to save this poor old dog from a bad outcome, so he could live his remaining years in a loving home. I don't see anything strange about that.

Edited by Autumn & Lola
  • Like 2

I don't know enough to have a real opinion in this case. Apparently the dog had not been home in six months. If the owners had not fed him in that long a time, and the neighbors were feeding him, for six months, that is a different thing from the dog running free and spending a lot of time with the nice people and funny dogs up the street but going home and being mostly fed at home. If the owners did not even do that much for him, then that is a different case.

Maybe I have this opinion because I have a cat who runs free. But he is home with us every day, comes in at night, and has all this meals, grooming, etc, at home, and of course his vet care. But a few of my neighbors have complained to me about it, and once one of them kept him trapped on her porch for a couple weeks and only released him when I put up lost kitty posters. Another one "felt sorry for him" and tried to pick him up, got scratched, and it cost me a few hundred dollars. For him to be on rabies watch. I do live in a leash law area, but I don't agree with them for cats. My dogs however I would never let out of my sight.

Anyhow, I just know what it is like to be on the receiving end of the "negligent owner" thing, but I am not negligent - I just believe that cats should have freedom. My neighbors have gotten over it by now, too.

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz, Mr Bean.  And a whole bunch of cats.

I'm late to this one, but good on you! If the neighbors were concerned you'd have heard before now.

Years ago I lived in the country and the neighbor behind me kept their dog chained outside 24/7 no matter the weather, with a camper shell thrown out there as, I guess, a makeshift dog house. The poor dog barked so incessantly it was hoarse, and more often than not it had no water. So I called Animal Control. Long story short, a few days later I looked out my back window and saw an officer there checking out the dog, so I went out to speak to him with my Cardi Corgi with me on a leash. They say no good deed goes unpunished! I was rudely asked if I had a license for 'that dog' and was then fined for not having one, and nothing happened with the abused animal he came out to investigate. Nada, zero, zip. That was in Maryland, can't speak for anywhere else.

Sometimes you just have to do what you know is right in your heart. I'm certain Pooch is happy that you did!

I'm late to this one as well.   I haven't read the entire thread.

Lori, you carried through where I couldn't about 25 years ago.  I'm not going to tell

the whole story, but this poor, beautiful Cocker Spaniel spent all of her days chained in the back yard.

She got no medical treatment and was fed crap.  She was terribly neglected.

My (then) husband and I went to "liberate" her when the "owners" were away.  One of my supervisors at IBM was anxious to

adopt her.  He would have been a God-send for Miss Jackie.

I chickened  out...Jackie didn't trust me when I approached her.

Lori, you got to do a good thing!

I'm not always radical, but I applaud you and your efforts to help non-humans. :)

Tara

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

This family is not good with animals of any kind - believe me - I know them very well.  The man has no compassion.  The story around the community, on his last dog about 15 years ago now, was that he held it down with a pitchfork and sterilized him.  Some would say it's gossip, but I believe it.  He is a nasty macho good looking person - his wife isn't so bad, but I really don't know her as well.  If I did have doubt - I have none now.

This man that delivers seed has been here before.  He was not just driving through the country picking up dogs.   He is a genuine person and would not of even thought twice about the dog if it weren't for the fact that we jokingly said "take him."  He and pooch really hit it off and we told him that chances are he will get hit on the highway.  So I am sure that is what he was thinking about.  So the blame rest with me.  I am the one who made the decision for Pooch.  Well both of us, after a lot of discussion, felt that Pooch would be so much better off with this gentleman than where he was at.  Pooch was not this pretty - I groomed him and he was not being fed and the winter was brutal cold and there was no one to give him shelter.  Sure we could of kept him and we probably would have, but like I said we won't be around for most of the summer days.  Anyway, I am beginning to regret sharing my story with you guys.  I am sorry that I have upset some of you.  I was so nervous about it at the time that I wanted input, but after time has passed I really feel I did the right thing.  You have to of been a witness to Pooches life to understand.    My heart is ok.  My conscience is free.  Sometimes you just need to let fate take over.   I would like to let this rest now.  Thank you all for your comments.   I have taken each one in consideration and to heart.

• Like 9

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Oh my goodness! Don't be sorry, either for sharing or for what you did!!! Poor Pooch deserved better, you knew it, and when you had a hand in helping him get it you were happy. Thank you for sharing!

• Like 7

You have no need to explain your actions. They come from a pure heart and a loving conscience . Big hug from me, Rosie and I am sure Jocks spirit.

• Like 6

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Sorry if I made you feel bad, Dempsy's mom.  It was a difficult situation with no easy solutions.  Letting it rest now.

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz, Mr Bean.  And a whole bunch of cats.

No worries. We are all true dog lovers here. We all have the best intent. Just wish more were like us. :)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Hi. I'm late on this one too. Haven't been online for a while not feeling well lately. I know you want to let this rest but I have to put my two cents in. I've rescued dogs before. Found dogs roaming around my house, took them in, called around, and found homes for them. I called local shelters to see if the dogs were reported missing. No tags on the dogs and no missing reports. If you call animal control in Chicago they will pick up the dog and if not adopted then the dog is euthanized. It's rare these dogs are claimed by the owners and few are adopted. I wanted to find homes myself knowing the dog would not be put down.

So my reason for posting tonight, I've been heartbroken the past few weeks. A lady in the neighborhood has a Lhasa Apso. I saw her out a couple weeks ago with another dog that looks a lot like Elsie. Small with wiry hair and short legs and a face similar to a Cairn. She saw this dog wandering for a few days in the really cold weather. She took the dog in so it wouldn't freeze or starve. Problem is the Lhasa doesn't get along with this dog. She was trying to find a home for the stray and asked if I would like to have it. Sadly I had to say no. Malcolm is too vicious. Malcolm would just try to attack this dog like he tries to attack every other dog he sees. The arthritis in my back is getting worse so there is no way I could keep the two apart I just can't physically do it. I felt so bad for the little Elsie lookalike. The lady has been out walking the stray. I'm glad she won't give up until the dog has a new home. I'd really like to take this dog in, would be nice to have an Elsie in my house. Unfortunately can't do it and it makes me sad.

Today I had to go downtown. Took the bus much cheaper than parking. Bus is $4.50 roundtrip. Parking is $40. While waiting at the bus stop a Black Lab came around. Friendly dog. Had that "I need a friend" look in its eyes. It was coming up to people and wagging its tail. Some people yelled at the dog to go away. Others let the dog come up and sniff. If I pet the dog and made friends it would try to get on the bus with me, it would not want to be left alone after finding someone who would be nice to it. So I stood there ignoring the dog feeling terrible. No tags on the dog either. I thought about the dog all the way downtown and all the way back. There was a time I would take a dog like this in, try to find the owner, if not find it a new home. Can't do it anymore, makes me feel bad.

When I got home I picked up Malcolm, held him and hugged him. He objected. I said too bad mister. You are going to get hugged whether you like it or not.

Then I got online to see what the other Cairns are up to and look for fresh pictures of Elsie and Dempsy. I can't get the Elsie lookalike off my mind. Read this thread and have to say it made me feel a little better. You weren't thinking about laws that govern ownership, you weren't thinking about authorities that sometimes help and sometimes not. You were thinking about helping an animal that was in a bad situation. You probably saw that "I need a friend" look in its eyes. That was your concern and nothing else. That is the way it should be. It felt good to read you found the dog a better home.

Ok time to stop and let the subject rest. I'm getting off topic anyway. Wanted to let you know you made me feel better reading how you helped this dog after seeing two dogs I couldn't help.

• Like 3

Awesome post, Malcolm's Dad. :)  We all help when and where we can.  You did when you could, and others do when they can. That is all we can hope for. :)

• Like 3

Sorry for your heavy heart Malcolm's Dad.  People that have a love for animals are special people and you are definitely one of the special ones.  The people that cringe from a dog wanting a scratch always worry me a bit.  Thanks for sharing your story. :hug:

Just touching on Pooch real quick.  It's hard to convey the whole story sometimes. But I do know how these people feel that used to have Pooch.  I do know that Pooch went to a better home. I do know that abuse is a way of life for "the neighbors".  I know about their drinking and the quick tempers. How could I know this?  I have witnessed it.  I have felt it.  The neighbors up the road are family.  The relationship between us is as dysfunctional as you can get. I have memories that would curl your toes in horror. So rest easy - all you who wonder.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I applaud what you did, that poor dog was in danger of being hit by a car running on the highway like that and if the owners really cared about Pooch, they would have watched out for him.  I also doubt that he was micro-chipped, not if they didn't even care enough to look for him.  Just my two cents.

He's up there in years and giving him to someone who cares will make the rest of his life a lot better. 

• Like 3

Got a call on Easter.  They are all happy with Pooch and Pooch is happy with them.  He sent a pic of Pooch getting a good scratch but it's on Jim's phone and catching up with him this time of year is nearly impossible.  All is well.

• Like 5

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Great news, Lori! I'm so happy Pooch is settled in with his new family. Are they calling him Pooch? 

• Like 1

I don't wonder about your actions at all, Lori.  From reading all of your wonderful posts about your dogs over the years, I think I know your heart.

You were courageous and stepped in where many individuals would not -- and, in doing so, you opened the door to a wonderful life for Pooch.  

God bless you! 

• Like 2