CairnTalk

Can You Keep A Secret?

Dempsy's Mom

I have mentioned to you guys that we have the neighbors dog down here.  He has been here for 6 months now.  He used to roam the countryside - you would see him out in fields, at different neighbors and on the highway.  Well he settled on us.  During the winter people would stop and tell us that our dog was on the highway.  I found this embarrassing and to save face I would tell them "It's not our dog."  But I knew that that didn't matter.  The dog needed help.  So he spent the nights in our heated shop and during the day he would follow us around and for the most part he would stay off the highway.

Why not just call the neighbor?  Because there is bad blood.  I put dead bolts on my doors a couple of years ago because I was nervous about his drinking and temper.  We don't talk and it is better we don't.  Plus they know where their dog is.  They drive by all the time and you have got to notice this 100# dog out in our yard.  They just don't care and I am sure the dog was abused. 

No one has spent anytime with this dog so he knows nothing.  But he is big and loveable.  Now that we are calving he is a menace.  He is going to get killed, I am going to get killed or both.  Anyway about a month ago this man delivered seed corn to us.  He and "Pooch" (that's what we call him) hit it off.  We jokingly told him to take Pooch with him if he wants.  Well about a week later this trucker called and asked us if we were serious. :confused1: Hmmmm.  Why not?  I told him that I didn't want him to take Pooch on a whim.  He really needed to want him and he assured me he did and told me that Pooch would stay on a small farm in West Bend Iowa.  His mom and dad live there and they would love Pooch.  So we told him next time he is through he can stop and pick up Pooch, but it would have to be a secret.

This morning he came.  He drove his semi in the back so no one would see us lifting this 100# dog into the front seat of a semi.  Pooch knew something was up, he's not that stupid.  I packed Pooch a little travel bag with water and snacks.  Tonight Pooch will be at his new home in Iowa.  I realize that this wasn't my dog, but I feel I did the best I could by him.  Soon we will be planting and no one will be around the farm -  so Pooch would once again be on the highway.  I want the best for Pooch.

Anyway I miss him already.  Dempsy, Elsie and Digger tolerated Pooch but were snots to him.  They taunted him by being able to walk in the house and he had to stay out.  Such farts.  I took pics this morning of the dogs together.  I had one with Pooch in the semi, but it wouldn't post. 

If the neighbors found out I gave their dog away they would be on the war path.  Not because they wanted the dog, but just to raise hell.  I am glad and I hope to get a pic when Pooch gets settled.

Edited by Dempsy's Mom
  • Like 6

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

You did the right thing for pooch. He has a new lease on life.

Love your pictures, Digger looks so happy

I hope so.  I should of entitled this, "Can you keep a secret, I know I can't."  But at this point I guess it's no big deal who knows - the only thing I worry about is a rebellion against my dogs.  :nono: 

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

You did well! Don't feel guilty. One of my past dogs, Lucky (Lucky to have a home) belonged to my friend's neighbors. She was not being taken care of at all (locked in garage all the time in Houston's 100 degree heat, no food, no water) and would go to my friend's house all the time, where my friend would put a sweater on her in the winter, feed and water her, etc.

One night she called me and said, "You've got to come over and get this dog. I can't keep her and she is still not being taken care of." So I drove into the subdivision that night, wrapped her up in a blanket and drove her right past their house and out of the subdivision. I felt like a cat burglar.

My friend said that once a long time later, the neighbor's son came and asked her if she had seen their dog, Ebony. She said "no, not in a long time", which was the truth. They eventually got another dog, but at least I saved that one! She lived five more years with us. <sigh> I miss that dog.

• Like 1

hmmm.  He may have been micro chipped.  Won't they be surprised when they find out he's from South Dakota.  Can't get away with anything these days.  :confused:

We don't really have Animal Control.  I reported some people for starving their cattle once.  Had to go through the sheriffs office.  Turned out who I was reporting was related to the sheriff.  :oops: Anyway - nothing happened.  I called the humane society at that time and they too said I need to go through my local authorities.  To this day that man has cattle and it isn't good but I would say it's better.  I keep watch on that herd. 

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

That is a very informative site.  Sounds like owners have lots of rights and lots of chances to abuse a so called companion and the dog has very few rights.

Oh well, it's water under the bridge now.  I could not get involved with any authorities when it came to this neighbor or this dog.  His original home is less than a quarter of a mile.  Straight up the highway.  Pooch has been down here with us almost steady for 6 months.  This dog has roamed for years.  I would guess he was probably 13 or 14 years old and it was pretty obvious to all who went up and down the highway that no one was looking out for his welfare.  It wasn't until he claimed us that I felt chosen to be his guardian angel.  As far as the neighbors will know - he was hit on the highway.  I am sorry if you feel bad about this and if there were children involved and people who cared about Pooch I by all means would of not gone to this measure.  But there are no children - just two very selfish individuals who are to busy with parties and socializing to care about an old dog.  So don't beat me up to bad for caring about the dog.  I struggled with it, but I listened to the little voice in my head.

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

DH, a retired attorney, (you have met him, Lori) has always said that the law doesn't always give you justice.  But Pooch got justice.  Well done.

• Like 2

Good for you Lori! That poor dog has spent years on the edge of survival and deserves a loving home with what time he has left. I do hope you get an update and can share it with us. 

My parents got a dog and sister got a cat in a similar way.

My parents' dog from right after they first got married was a terrier named Fred. My dad was a veterinarian for farmers on the Vermont-Quebec border. He was at a dairy farm one day and this crotchety old farmer tells my dad that his dog is driving him nuts and can he please put it down. So my dad makes up this story that he has to take to dog back to his clinic to euthanize it. My dad brought the pup to his clinic, gave her a bath, spayed her, and plopped her on my mom's lap (they lived in the apartment above the veterinary clinic). My mom fell head over heels in love. A few months later my dad brought Fred on his rounds, the farmer saw the dog and had an absolute meltdown that my dad didn't kill the dog. Demanded it back so he could kill it himself. My dad drove off and never went back. Fred spent the rest of her life happy with my parents. 

My sister was a veterinary technician. An man came in one day with his mangled cat; said it got caught in the fan belt of his car and wasn't worth trying to save. He didn't even want to be with it when it was put down. So my sister and her boss brought the cat into the clinic, amputated its leg and Tres the Three Legged Wonder Cat lived with my sister and her husband for the rest of his life. 

The system is not built to protect abused animals. I saw it all the time at my dad's veterinary hospital watching selfish stupid owners put down their dogs, refuse treatment (even when they had plenty of money to do it) and refuse to give their dogs to rescues or shelters just cause it wasn't worth it to them. I'm glad there are people like you out there willing to take a risk to save a life. Pooch finally found some luck in his life. For all his terrible owners know it got hit by a car or finally ran off for good. 

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Thank you for doing this Lori! Microchipped...I rather doubt that. That would mean his owners cared and obviously they didn't.

Years ago when I lived in BC I drove past an acreage where this poor dog was chained 24/7 to a stake. He was in bad shape and same thing by law was pretty much useless. I worked part time at a vet and myself and one of the techs sneaked onto the property and we had to use bolt cutters to get the chain off the dog neck. We were terrified that the owner would come out of his house! The chain had grown into the poor dogs neck and it was a mess. We took him back to the clinic and the vet decided the dog was beyond help and put him down. It was very sad, but at least he wasn't suffering anymore. So hats off to you again Lori. That old boy deserved to live out his life being cared for.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Regardless of the legal thing you were brave enough to do the moral thing. Good for you and especially for Pooch. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Joe called this morning. (the man that took pooch)  I was happy to hear from him.  He said that Pooch rode well.  They got home around 8:00 last night.  He was happy with the Poocher and he introduced him to his old Blue Healer.  He said there was no great reaction - they sniffed each other, but no growling - so that was good.  He is going to send a pic sometime. 

It is amazing how even though you may not of invited a dog into your life, your heart takes over.  :wub:  I am happily relieved and I thank you all for making this decision more comfortable for me. 

• Like 5

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

The micro-chip comments here have me confused. The new owner doesn't care if the dog's microchipped or not; he has the dog and isn't going to look its # up to find its owner. Or are you all saying if he wants his information put on the microchip, he couldn't do that? Can't a dog be microchipped again with the new owner's info? I'm just asking. Thanks.

I also have a question about microchips - When I adopted Digger from the humane society - they told me she was micro chipped.  I didn't ask at the time - but did her previous owners microchip her or did the humane society microchip?  So if I wanted to find out if Dempsy or Elsie is micro chipped, would I just go into the vets and they can tell? 

So if you adopt a pet that is already micro chipped do they update the information before you take the dog home? 

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Dempsey's Mom, did they give you the microchip number and password? If so, you just go to the website and put the number and password in. Then you can change the name of the animal and contact info from now on. I still need to go back in because the name "Button" didn't stick. My renewal is up soon and they keep calling her "Button" on the emails.

I would have to dig back in my papers to see if they gave me the info on Digger .  I bet they did and I was simply anxious to get Digger home and settled that I shrugged it off. I don't know.  I never knew that you could just go in and change the information or check on it yourself.  Good to know.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Good for you Lori!! I would have done the same thing - this dog needed a GOOD home and not a short life killed on the road.  You have earned a star in heaven.

Pepper's Mom

I guess if you let your dog run free, you run the risk of something like this happening.

But if the people come and ask about it, I think you should tell them what you did.  They may not seem to care, but they may care in their own way, even if you disagree with their way of doing things.

You can lie and say you thought it was a stray dog.  Or you can tell the truth because you believe you did the right thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz, Mr Bean.  And a whole bunch of cats.

Wonderful,kind thing. You are to be commended for your actions. It really upsets me when animals are treated as if they are disposable. Think you were very brave  to do this.

I just remember that people have not always had the same philosophy as they do now about dogs and cats, especially in rural areas.  When I was growing up, long ago now, our dogs and cats basically went where they wanted to go, when they wanted.  There was a kind of respect for them and their freedom that went with that.

These days pets are highly protected and doted over.  The loss of freedom is understandable but also in a way lamentable.

SO if there is someone living in the country who still adopts the old philosophy, it may not be because they don't care about the animal, but rather because that is just the way they do things, and perhaps a reason they chose to live in a rural area.

I can imagine them being very sad when they don't see their dog in a while, and not knowing what happened to them might always haunt them.

That's why it might be good to be brave just one more time and tell them where the dog is.

• Like 1

Taffy, Reuben, Annie, Moondoggie, Lexie, Walter, Joey, Tonto, Earl, Beebo, Fuzz, Mr Bean.  And a whole bunch of cats.