CairnTalk

What's that Lassie? Timmy fell down the well?

Autumn & Lola

No, Autumn fell down a manhole.  Well, part of me, anyway.

Last week we had our grass dug up and paving and stones put down. The men had the manhole cover off, not sure why, and I guess it wasn't put back on properly. Today Lola and I were outside, doing some gardening. (I was re-potting plants; she was supervising.) I went for the hose and the ground opened up beneath me and down I went! One leg was completely down the hole, and the other twisted above ground. I started screaming and Lola was barking her head off. I shoo'd her away because I thought she'd fall down the hole as well. I didn't even realize I was in the manhole in the beginning. I thought it was a sinkhole in our backyard. :D Luckily, between my screaming and Lola's barking, the neighbors came running. Nick took a while longer, and then yelled at me for making such a racket. Ah well. At least my Lola has shown me lots of sympathy and hasn't left my side. :)

I've just been thinking that I'm so glad it was I who fell. I don't know if she would have been heavy enough for the cover to shift, but I shudder to think what would have happened had Lola fallen down there!

It's a good thing you aren't allowed to work without a supervisor! Hope you are not hurt and  :qualify: to Lola for looking out for you.

Ow... That makes me shudder just thinking of how much that twisted leg is going to hurt. Sorry you fell. Glad you got out of there and that you still have your sense of humor about it. Good job, Lola. Glad she's safe too.

Makes your heart jump when the ground goes out from underneath you.  Sounds like it would of hurt - hope you're ok. Lola was concerned.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

my golly what adventures you have. how did come out of it without a broken leg? and unfortunately you are right --better you should land in the whole than lola. have you considered indoor gardening?

Oof. I hope you're okay. Glad little Lola was there to look out for you. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Hi all. Thank you for your kind words. I am fine, aside from feeling like I was run over by a bus. LOL Actually I am feeling better than I thought I would. The worst was getting out of bed, but now that I got all my parts moving, I'm a bit better. 

What's most important is Lola is enjoying her new yard. I have some more pots to fill and Lola needs a bath desperately, but after that I will take photos of her in her new yard and post them here. If we have another nice sunny day this week I will do her photo shoot. :)

• Like 1

Wow, Autumn, you are so lucky that your bones are intact! I am going to bet that some bruises are going to show up though. Ouch.

Your story reminds me of an incident when I was a teen, living in California. My family was living in an apartment until our house was ready, and one night the fire alarm went off.  One of our neighbors was running up and down the halls banging on doors to make sure everyone was up and out, and her husband was right behind her growling " Quiet, Ginnie! You'll wake up all the neighbors!"  Some guys...Nick included!

Hope you feel better and Nurse Lola keeps you in good spirits.

Yikes! Glad you are ok. Speaking from experience the real discomfort shows up after a few days then it gets better. Lola will help you recover.

Thanks you guys!  Kathryn - OMG that is so funny! 

I do feel a lot better this morning. *shake it off* *shake it off*  800mg of ibuprofen and a good night's sleep really helped. :)

I think nurse Lola should have a nurses hat on in your avatar! :) glad you are ok.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie