CairnTalk

How Soon To Get From the Breeder

Kate

I have put a deposit on a puppy. The breeder says she will be ready to go at 8 weeks. Do you think that is too young? I'm so anxious I don't want to wait more, however, after reading these threads, it seems like 12 weeks is more appropriate. What do you think? Also, what shall I do about the breeder that is expecting me to pick her up at 8 weeks?

Years ago I got my first Cairn at 8 weeks. This time around we got Scully at 10 weeks, mainly because my mom was in the hospital with open heart surgery and she held her for us. Around here (Philadelphia) everyone seems to let the pups go at 8 weeks, but I think the 12 is better. I guess the best thing you can do is just ask the breeder if she would keep him/her with her littermates a little longer.

I believe that I got my dog at 8 weeks, (it was almost 7 years ago.) Maybe you could see if the breeder would meet you half way and keep the pup until 10 weeks? Just a thought...

Marsha

I got Elliott from an exceptional breeder and he was 8 weeks. Have had no problems at all with him....healthy, happy, adjusted well to our household, vet checked...A+.

I think it's all up to individual breeders. Some want to keep their pups a bit longer.

We picked up Finch, from the breeder, at 8 weeks. She came from a very good breeder also. Finch was well fed, and was in tip top shape. She didn't have any problem adjusting at all. It doesn't hurt to ask if you would feel more comfortable at 10 weeks.

Got our pup at 8 weeks and it was a tough go for us in the beginning. He was just so little. Cried in his crate --- and pooped in it every single night, in spite of my husband staying up late to give him one last "out" before he went to bed.

Our other Cairns were older when we got them, and I found the adjustment (and esp. the housebreaking) to be much easier with a slightly older pup.

If I had it to do again, I'd ask the breeder to hold the dog for at least another 2 weeks, and better, 4.

I will say that our little guy was so darn CUTE at 8 weeks. :) Believe it or not, the "breeder" we got him from had sold and delivered all his brothers and sisters at 6 weeks old as "Christmas" puppies. :confused: I can't even imagine what that must have been like for the owners who got those little ones.

We got Duffy from a terrific breeder when he was 10 weeks. She said that was the age that they were comfortable with at letting pups go to their new homes. Like Kay's little guy, Duffy is a very happy, well adjusted Cairn.

MikeC

Archived