CairnTalk

Trimming Paws

Guest posting as: Milopup

Sorry for a strange question, but what is the best way to trim the hair on the cairn paws and in between their lil' toes? I just can't seem to get the hair trimmed, as my pup just won't stay still. :(

Guest posting as: Darcys mom

I have a pair of blunt nose sizzors that I bought at Pet Supplies when Darcy was a puppy fully intending to be able to get between her little toes and just kinda round off her feet. Well, she had other ideas. She will not let me do her feet or under her tail. She gets real snarly when I try to hold her if I have the sizzors in my hand, so I'm gonna get a grooming table with a noose and if that doesn't work I probably will get a muzzle for her so she can't nip at me. If anyone has any ideas about how to trim a Cairn's toes I would really love to hear them as well.

Sandy

Grooming often is one way to get them to accept it. It's a circle - if you don't do, you can't do it. If you can't do it, you won't do it. Once again it's down to who's the boss. We have used a muzzle in intractable cases so don't feel like you're the only one. However, a table and noose help a lot, and so can a grooming partner - or both. Feet are particularly easy with a table. Another method is to simply have someone hold the dog - in whatever position works for them and you. Unless you're showing, foot trimming is not precision work so it need not take more than a few seconds per foot - as long as the foot is not moving!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest posting as: Darcys mom

Thanks Brad, I was feeling kinda bad about maybe muzzeling her, my husband thinks its the cruelest thing to do but he's not the one having to groom. I can barely get him to hold her for me to groom around her eyes. He's constantly saying "Watch those scizzors, you're gonna poke her eye out. He just makes me so nervous, I'd rather just do it when he's not around, hence the grooming table and noose. I hope I can manage it by myself.

My pup is such a wiggler, and he won't even let me brush him (even with a rubber Zoom Groom) without scolding me (with cute little growly whines). Will try to trim the toes and see what happens. :P

Archived