CairnTalk

Gracie girl

tomacmen

As a mailman I had some knowledge of Cairn Terriers when my wife decided that she needed to fill the void created by the death of her 9 year old boxer. She was insistant upon getting another boxer but I wanted her to come with me to see an eight week old litter of brindle Cairns.

There were seven or eight pups in an enclosure having a great ol' time being puppies. We weren't there more than a minute before she picked out a confident little girl. I too was smitten and the little dog was insistant on sitting on my lap on the drive home.

She was so tiny the stairs in my home presented barriers she wasn't able to overcome so when she showed up in the garage with me I was totaly surprise. While stepping down from a ladder I stepped on her. I was beside myself in thinking that I had hurt her very badly. I held her in my arms for nearly an hour talking to her, calming her (and myself) and that is when our bond began. I had scared her but not hurt her,,,,,,,but now I was her "person" she was "my" dog.

I took her to the park daily and she never tired of chasing the ball. I never knew that a dog of her stature could be so athletic. Once she learned how to properly take a walk it was great for both of us. She became a big part of my life.

After my wife and I divoced she saved my life when she roused me out of an insulin induced stupor. I thought I would never get over the death of my son last year but Gracie was there and couldn't get close enough in consoling me. I never came home to an empty house and always looked forward to the love she gave to me.

I haven't done well in interpersonal relationships but I feel very fortunate in having learned what love is from my two sons and my dog.

After 14 years with her, Gracie died last week. My heart feels empty and my life has this big empty space. I very much miss my Gracie girl.

• Like 1

I am so very sorry for your loss. You've written a beautiful tribute to Gracie, who was obviously a huge part of your life. I'm sure she adored you every bit as much as you adored her. I hope all your happy memories of her bring you peace in the coming weeks.  Big hugs.

you're talking to the right people here. we understand the whole story from start to finish. i am glad that gracie had a long and wonderful life, obviously full of great love. your big empty space is your biggest gift to gracie, at this point. you have a lot of give, and gracie herself will lead to the ways to fill your empty space. she is still your girl. 

Thanks for sharing the information on Gracie with us--a fitting tribute to a long term Cairn companion.  Hopefully your pain will ease as time works its magic and the sharpness of these days dull.  Stick around, read our posts, and participate with your stories of your Gracie--we are glad to have you here with us, who also appreciate these wonderful little dogs.

Parts of your story could have been my own, so I completely understand how you feel.  Although we love all our dogs like children, I think everyone here could name one special dog like Gracie that affected their lives deeply.  I'm very sorry to hear she has passed and hope her spirit will stay with you forever.

How well we understand your loss and pain. Gracie girl is gone in body but she will never leave you in spirit. Thanks for sharing her/your story.

I don't think their tenacious spirit ever leaves us, once they stake a claim on our souls.  It's a bittersweet haunting for some time, but eventually the sweetness is mostly what remains.

Thank you for sharing Gracie with us.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

What a lovely tribute to your Gracie, it sounds like you had such a wonderful bond.   I lost my chocolate Lab the past October, just shy of 13 years, so I totally understand the deep sadness you are feeling.  I still miss Cocoa but now I can think back of all the great times we had together and smile knowing that he lived a very full life.  Hopefully memories of happy times together with Gracie will comfort you in the days ahead.

Thank you for sharing Gracie with us all.

Gracie wa such a big part of your life, I'm sure you feel lost, but Gracie is right there, saying" I love you Dad".

Just remember the wonderful times you all had together and the typical Cairness  of her life

Thank you all for your kind words and understanding. I so loved my little girl that I didn't think that anyone could feel as I feel but you all understand.

The tears start to flow when I start to talk to an empty house or I think I see her out of the corner of my eye and the realization that she's not there, and never will be again, and slaps me in the face.

We all talk to our dogs and we convince ourselves that they fully understand us,,,, particularly in the way that Cairns are so attentive and tilt their heads as if to say "Come again, I didn't quite understand that last bit. Could you repeat that". We anthropomorphically give them human attributes and understanding. Before my relationship with Gracie I fully believed that that kind of understanding wasn't possible and maybe I'm fooling myself but I don't think thay way any longer. I'm not talking about discussing the news or what the neighbors were doing but she understood the dynamics of our relationship and how she could effect it. She wasn't motivated by food or toys very much. What she wanted was attention and understanding. In short, all she wanted was to be loved and that was easy.

I mentioned before that she saved my life; As an insulin dependant diabetic I always have the threat that I've miscalculated the amount of calories I've eaten and the insulin will drive my blood sugar down to the point of no recovery and death. It's usually not a problem when I'm awake but on this particular day I was exceptionally tired from a hard day at work. I was going to lay down for a short nap before dinner that turned into three hours. When I finally woke I was very confused (blood sugar reading of 27) and I had blood streaming down the side of my neck and head. I got some sugar in me to stop the downward spiral but it took me a while to understand why all the blood. I apparently was having a low blood sugar seizure and Gracie knew I needed help. It wasn't like "Timmy and Lassie" but Gracie scratched at my neck to get me up and, of course, it worked.

Emotionally she saved me many times. I don't know how she always knew but she did. I'd be deep in thought about some worry and all of a sudden there would be a warm tongue on my face trying to cheer me up. She was very good at that.

Again, thank you all for your listening, understanding and very kind words. If we all lived with the basic emotional interactions that our dogs do we would be eons ahead of where we are now but the emphathy all of you have shown me renews my faith in our world.

Tom

• Like 2

One big hug from our sad home to yours.

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

tom, the qualities of gracie that you describe so well are easily recognized by us. we aren't imagining it, they really do have a unique intuition of human feelings and as they mature they can develop bonds with their humans that are almost unbelievable, even for dogs. i'm convinced that gracie will always be close by you. she'll show you what comes next.

I am so sorry for your loss of Gracie. Your story was so touching-what a wonderful way to remember her by sharing her with all of us. Most of us truly understand your pain from the loss of a dear friend. It's true-the bond between your pet and you is priceless. Gracie will be with you forever. Bless you and take care.

Tom, I am so very sorry that your beloved Gracie has passed away.  You wrote such a lovely tribute, painting such a vivid picture of her devotion to you.  What an angel she was!   May she continue to watch over you from above.

Godspeed, precious Gracie.