CairnTalk

What would you consider too rough playing

kayharley

Madison weighs in at around 16lbs. Elliott is about 4lbs. I hear no yelping when they "wrestle" but I find myself getting so nervous and anxious that Maddy is too hard with him. It's not only the sounds they make :shock: but can this roughhousing play turn my puppy into an aggressive demon?

I've never had 2 young dogs together before so the play between my 11 year old and Madison was pretty mellow compared to this. Any tug of war is prohibited because Elliott is just too small to be whipped around but it's the other biting, dominating behavior that has me being a mother hen!

It's funny, as soon as I raise my voice and tell Madison to stop, she does but then Elliott will instigate and it's Wrestle Mania again.

I dream of sitting on the floor with my 3 Cairns nestled around my lap all cuddly and cozy.....then I wake up!! :lol:

I had the same concerns over my two. Scout was just 2 when we brought Finch home. They do roughhouse alot and make all those terrible sounds. I stayed out of most of it and now they have a close and loving relationship. I still can't figure out which one is Alpha, since they seem to pass it back and forth! They didn't play tug of war when Finch was little, but now they do. It's the funniest thing to see. Scout and Finch will both have a stuffed toy in their mouth. Scout will walk backwards, dragging Finch forward. Finch puts her back legs straight out and they "walk" across the room like this...so funny to see!

Cooper and Yoda play like Scout and Finch often. Yoda, being the younger, usually gives up and goes and finds his rope and brings that into his bed to lie down with. When we first got Cooper, we were in Oregon at our daughters. They have Sadie, who is a pit bull and the absolute nicest dog I have ever met. Sadie and Cooper would play like there was no tomorrow and I think this is what helped Cooper to learn how he should play w/Yoda. They do play w/their mouths, but they don't chomp down or close their mouths or bite each other. I imagine if I ever see blood, that is when it's gone too far!

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

I have a 22 pound boy and a 10 pound girl and they are 4 months apart in age, so I get where you are coming from with your concerns.It was definitely nerve racking getting used to their play, but I researched dogs play and that is just what they do. it looks intimidating but to them its a happy day to have a pal! Mine will fight over toys here and there and if they don't work in out quickly I intervine. What I have found to work best is getting them out for a walk and tiring them out , then letting them play, they seem to play better with less energy (they still have energy, but you know what I mean) Its easier to get them to settle down when I need them to as well

My motto is as long as the tail is wagging they are having fun. As soon as the tail or ears change...someone is up to no good! :devil:

They are probably working out who is alpha as well, it seems to be a constant thing at my house. Everyday it changes! Some day they will be calm, does anyone know when that happens?? :)

Guest posting as: Stacey
Madison weighs in at around 16lbs. Elliott is about 4lbs. I hear no yelping when they "wrestle" but  I find myself getting so nervous and anxious that Maddy is too hard with him. It's not only the sounds they make :shock: but can this roughhousing play turn my puppy into an aggressive demon?

I've never had 2 young dogs together before so the play between my 11 year old and Madison was pretty mellow compared to this. Any tug of war is prohibited because Elliott is just too small to be whipped around but it's the other biting, dominating behavior that has me being a mother hen!

It's funny, as soon as I raise my voice and tell Madison to stop, she does but then Elliott will instigate and it's Wrestle Mania again.

I dream of sitting on the floor with my 3 Cairns nestled around my lap all cuddly and cozy.....then I wake up!! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 7 years later...

Hello,

My name is Lauren and I am knew to this forum. After I read your questions and concerns from this post I signed up immediately as I am in need of helpful feedback and advice.

I have two Cairns (whom I adore!!!), Razzle Dazzle Rose is 1.5 years old and Honeysuckcle is 9 weeks old (our new addition). I to find myself very nervous when they play - it is so rough. I let them play during the day on and off for 10-20 minutes each time, always after they have been outside. There is a lot of exchange of subservience, one will lie on their back and groan and sneeze and then later the other will. They run around and play chase. My concern is that Honeysuckle is so young and small I don't want her to develop aggressive tendencies. Razzle doesn't bite her, but it looks like she has an open mouth a lot of the time she is playing. Honey stands up for herself and never whimpers from being hurt. I see her put two paws up to Razzle inviting play. In my heart I want to believe they are having a good time...

Also, I have read that it is not necessarily a good think to interrupt dog play when it is friendly play. They are working things out for themselves in dog-language. I am just having a hard time telling at times. Watching for tail wags is a good idea!

Thank you for any help you can give!

Lauren

Welcome! I believe dogs should generally be allowed to play as roughly as they want as long nobody is being hurt. Cairns are very tough little dogs and, in my experience, love what we consider to be "rough" play. You have to remember that dogs have their own rules when it comes to play behavior and what looks very rough to us can be, in fact, perfectly normal and an absolute riot for them. If Honey isn't whimpering, yelping, or otherwise showing signs that she is being hurt when playing with Razzle, I'd let them be. Just keep your eyes and ears open for any signs of real aggression - bared teeth, snarling, etc.. That's when I'd step in, put the aggressor down on her side with a firm "NO!" and hold her until she settled down. Other than that, let them work things out for themselves. From your description, though, it sounds like your two furkids are just having the time of their lives together.

We'd love to see pics of Razzle and Honey. Hint . . .hint.

In my experience the dogs self regulate the roughness of the play. I have a 30lb. female and a 13lb female and they get extremely rough with each other and if it gets out of hand, you know it the minute it happens because fur literally flies and the snarls get real. Otherwise I let them have at it--there is always the test of dominance going on with my dogs and they go at each other about twice a day--not necessarily always this rough but close. I look on it as play/exercise for them. It sure has made little Bonnie Belle into a confident, assertive, little Cairn. Big sister has taught her that life is too short to hang back and watch. So far in three years of this kind of stuff there has been no injury or blood spilt.

Great little video Colorado. Bonnie maybe doesn't have the size, but what a little speed demon. And speaking of demon - wow, that pic with Stella and Echo sends shivers. Great shot of intimidation.

And yes, they do have their own language even if their not both cairns. Digger tells Demps when she's not in the mood and Demps respects it and yet when they play they are both making noises and having a great time and seem to know when it's time to quit.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Jagger (1.5 years) only has a pound or two on Eddie (10.5 months) so physically they're pretty evenly matched. But the way these two go at it had me very concerned in the beginning. Jagger has always been a very vocal dog while playing...lots of whining, belly growling and some high pitched barks. We've tried to get her to tone it down but I think it's just her way of communicating so I feel like it's somewhat hopeless. They are very rough - one will grab the others leg and literally drag them across the floor. But one minute they're noisy, rolling around with limbs in each other's mouths and the next they're lying side by side licking each other's faces and ears. We've heard the occasional 'real' yelp and then the other backs off for a second or two. If things get really out of hand where I fear furniture will be broke or the noise level is too much a loud 'Settle!' calms them for a few seconds, and then they often go back at it but at a lower level.

I've had family and friends fear that they're about to kill each other but I've learned it's just their style of play. It's not my favourite but my DH often reminds me "Isn't this why we wanted a second?" Hard to argue with that when you realize how much fun Jagger and Eddie are having.

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

Packy & Kirby have always played pretty roughly and they can sometimes sound like they're killing each other. Packy is a very vocal wrestler and we usually have to explain to people at the dog park that he's not being mean, he's just noisy. You can always tell when the play gets too rough though, because the sounds change. I usually stay out of it and they figure it out on their own very quickly. That doesn't happen very frequently though, and it's pretty funny to watch them wrestle, tug and chase like the wild hooligans they are.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I think the key is supervision. Cairns do tend to make aweful noises when they play, but you will be able to detect if the noise gets agressive. On the occasions I have heard a difference in tone, all I have to do is yell something since I am boss, they do stop. I have watched Spring when she is loose with bigger dogs and if she is worried or scared, she will come and stay close to me. If she is playing, she is comfortable.

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

Chuck, your video could have been made in our living room with Buffy and Ziggy. Little Bonnie sure has some moves, doesn't she? And Sammi, with all her brawn, still can't get the better of her. A perfect example of typical Cairns at play.

This is payback for Sammi for all the grief she gave her grownup sister Toots when she was young. Bonnie doesn't like to give it up and being a lightweight, has decided to dazzle with her footwork. Sammi's job seems to be that of trying to find ways to intercept the little missle when it flies by. Interestingly when I was in the Navy I was a missle tech and worked on our ship's guided missles--you guessed it--Terrier SAM's!

I am so glad to hear that most of your cairns are as "hard charging" as mine. Bear is 1 year and loves other dogs. He always initiates play and seems to seek out bigger dogs. He really loves our neighbor's black lab puppy (about 7 months) named Storm. When Bear met Storm he was a lot smaller and Bear would easily dominate. Now Storm is 65 lbs. and Bear is 16 lbs. I am very nervous when they play because it is very rough and I think Bear could get hurt (Storm is not at all aggressive but just so much bigger). My husband does not want them to play anymore but I know Bear misses playdates with his best bud. :(

Archived