CairnTalk

RascalsDAD

I was looking for a puppy cairn at one of the rescue web sites and filled out all 3 mile form,and then at the end it told me i had to donate 300 dollars.

Now i know i'm new to all this adoption stuff,but if the lil guy needs a home i'm all for it but to tell me i have to "donate" well thats another thing.

I know there are costs to take care of them ,but the "donation" is as much as i payed for our Rascal which came with akc papers and shots and all that.

So it seems they would work something out,i dont have the answer to this but somehow there's gotta be a better way. B)

Welcome to the forum. I can tell you that I understand your confusion about the adoption fee. I hope that I can shed some light on why they require an adoption fee. Most of the rescue groups (including the one I work with) are completely reliant on donations, charity, fundraising, and the generosity of local vets to cover the cost of caring for these rescued creatures. Many of them come into the rescue programs sick, injured, abused, and scared. They require medical treatment. Unless a dog is deemed too ill or injured to be saved, they are given the medical treatment they need. They come to their adoptive families spayed or neutered, heartworm negative and on preventative medicine, housebroken, crate trained, leash trained, socialized and well adjusted. All of this takes time and money. Volunteers and Foster families get no compensation for their time and care. Yes, you could spend the same amount or more and get a pure bred puppy with papers. But you wouldn't have the satisfaction of knowing that you have saved a dog's life. I can tell you that a rescued dog is eternally grateful to their new families. The love you will receive from them will far outweigh the value of your registration papers. Good luck with your search!

Thela

Archived