CairnTalk

Good-bye, Bacchus

tomatosandwich

My lab, Bacchus, died in my arms this morning.  He would have been 15 the 9th of this month.  He had been struggling for the last few months, so it wasn't a huge shock.  My heart still feels it was too soon, though.  I just needed to share with folks that would understand.  

I always dread reading these postings, my heart goes out to you. Take care and hug Divot tightly.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

God bless you and your family and your loving memories of Bacchus.  It always

feels like it's too soon for them to leave us.  At least he had you until his last breath.

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

It is so nice that he rested in your arms.  I am very sorry for you all.  Digger is 14, a lab and she is slowing down too.  She will be a huge loss too.  What will I do without Digger? - I always ask myself.  She is the one who is calm and teaches.  She is the the one who tolerates and welcomes.  She is the one that ask for so little.  She is the one who is most thankful for a pat on the head or a good scratch.  I think it is their ages - so sweet.  Labs are great dogs.  My heart is with you all.  Do you have a picture of Bacchus?  I would love to see him.

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

My beloved pit bull died two years ago this May in my arms.  I honestly felt her spirit slide into my heart and there she remains so strong and loving.....  Hard to believe she is gone, but she fought the good fight and died with dignity on her own time.  She would have loved Pepper - she always was so good with kittens and puppies....

• Like 2

Pepper's Mom

So sorry to hear about Bacchus.  You gave him a beautiful life right to the end and now you will have some wonderful memories that will last forever.  Bless you and your family. 

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and warm thoughts.  Dempsy's mom,  Digger sounds just like Bacchus.  Bacchus is a large part of why Divot has settled into the lovely little companion that he is.  Bacchus was so patient and loving while teaching him the ropes!  He never asked for much at all.  

Here are some pics of him.  I couldn't see through the tears well enough earlier to mess with Photobucket, etc.  Thank you for asking to see him.  In the first pick, he is air born!  You can see the stick splash on the left of the pic that made him literally jump for joy!  The middle pic is when he was probably 10 weeks old.  He was the runt of the litter.  The breeder had 10 pups; Bacchus was sickly.  He was going to let him die.  He let me take him home instead.  By 10 weeks, he was a healthy little fur ball, only 3 bricks high!  The last photo shows the funny lip thing he would do when staring you down for a treat.  

He really was as good as a dog gets.  How did 14 years go by so quickly?

BacchusStrip_zpse49b9f6b.jpg

• Like 6

Great pics!!!  Wonderful memories!!  :hug: To answer how I feel time slips away.  I am so enjoying every moment of their lives and what they experience...and they are experiencing and enjoying life...that time just seems to slip away.  One moment they are being yelled at, played with, fed and then they want to be fed AGAIN, sleeping in the most unusual positions, love getting kisses and REALLY love giving kisses.

My true hope for you is that ALL the memories are just as wonderful as the day you both experienced them!

Great pics - thanks so much for posting. I felt a little tear come because I had a lab once who did the same lip tucked up thing. And who dived into the water with the same eagerness. I'll never forget the fun we had together.

I'm so sorry to hear of Bacchus's passing.  I know, only to well, the hole you feel in your heart.  Take the time to grieve as that is your right as a Mum for all the good years you both shared.  Sending hugs your way .....

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

So sorry for your loss-we are going through a tough time with our golden now. He is almost 13 and has a tumor behind his eye-not doing so well. He is the calm one-the one that told Ivy to control herself and not act like a crazy loon... I too think how hard it will be without him. 

Bacchus is beautiful!  Great pics!  I am so happy that you took him home.  Your love made him healthy and he had a great life because of you. Thanks for showing us Bacchus. :wub:

Edited by Dempsy's Mom

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I'm very sorry to hear about Bacchus' passing. From being the runt of the litter to living for 15 years you gave him love and a good life.

we do indeed understand. that's a very long life for a lab, and we know he spent it happily. good for him, bad for you, till you can get to where you can just rejoice in his long happy life and forget the rest. 

Thank you all.  I don't know how I would have made it through this day without your kind words and memories of your lost furry loves.  I know I'm rarely on here any more, and you all still offered your support.  Thank you.