CairnTalk

Offline for a while. Getting back

Malcolm's Dad

I've been offline for a few weeks. I stopped in a couple days ago and saw the post about Redmon. That was sad.

I've had some problems. Malcolm and his big brother Oscar the parrot are doing fine. I'm not doing well at all. A few days before Christmas I was robbed. When walking home I was knocked out. My wallet was stolen. There was a gash on the back of my head. The first week or so I spent most of the time in bed passed out most of the time. My neighbors came over to feed Malcolm and Oscar and let Malcolm out in the yard. My neighbor's wife is a retired nurse. She said I had a concussion and should go to the hospital. I don't have health insurance and cannot afford the hospital. They came over a lot to watch me. Malcolm knows something is wrong too. He spends most of the time in bed with me. He brings his tennis ball and rope wanting to play. When he figures I can't play he snuggles next to me. It is comforting to snuggle with him. Malcolm was an occasional snuggler before. He stays with me all the time now.

After a while I started getting up. I can get around and feed Malcolm and let him out so things are improving slowly. Christmas and New Years were ruined. I have headaches and get dizzy sometimes. This is not easy to deal with.

Chicago is really getting bad. In December 4 kids were killed by gangfire in my neighborhood. The day after New Years the owner of a muffler shop was killed by thieves. This is terrible and keeps getting worse.

All I can say is my neighbors are wonderful and so is Malcolm. The people on this forum are wonderful, they help people with problems too. I just read tlwtheq's thread. I'm glad all I have is a cracked skull. She is really having a hard time with pressures. I hope something works out for her.

I was thinking about you the other day and wondering if you were OK.  Terrible news that you were robbed and beaten.  The world isn't getting any nicer.  

I work in a hospital and I know there is some type of fund (I believe it's through the state) for crime victims.  If you like, I can look into it for you.

You must have wonderful neighbors, though, and that's something to be thankful for.  And bless Malcolm for snuggling and taking care of you.  I hope you recover quickly and can be back on your feet.  Prayers coming your way.

Helene

How awful! I'm glad you have kind neighbors who can care for you and Malcom. Please look into getting your concussion treated/tested - they are nothing to fool with, especially if you are still getting headaches and dizzy spells. They must have some sort of victim's aid fund.

I know what you mean about things getting worse -- I live near Philly, and have stopped watching the news, it's so bad. But I feel for you, with the crime in your own neighborhood. Please take care of yourself, and keep us posted.

Hope you feel better fast! please keep us posted.  I know with all the bad its hard to see it, but most people are good, kind and caring.  Prayers for you and yours.

Kristi

One awesome husband plus, 4 kids, 2 fur babies (also known as dogs!) 2 turtles and one cat = one wonderful life!!

What an awful thing to happen.So glad you have kind neighbors to help. Our cairns always know what to do!

We lived in Chicago for ten years many years ago. We thought it tough then - but I think it is getting worse now.  Hope you will continue to improve.

Stay safe.

Malcolm's Dad - what an ordeal! I hope the police have heard your story and are trying to find those responsible.  As a city dweller too, I get really angry when I hear these kinds of stories.

It does sound as though you had a concussion, which is something to watch for a while. I slipped on the ice a few years ago while walking Allie, hit my head, and got hauled into the ER even though I did not lose consciousness.  I did have a concussion and it turned out the accident somehow affected my inner ear to the point where I was always dizzy if I turned my head a certain way. A big problem wen driving! A couple trips to a physical therapist -- and a maneuver which apparently realigns crystals in the inner ear -- brought me back to the straight and narrow.  If you have on-going dizziness, I do suggest you look into this, even if you do not have insurance.

But it is great that Malcolm is there to look over you.  The sympathy these dogs have for us is so amazing.  Good dog, Malcolm.

Keeping you in my prayers-so very sorry for your horrific ordeal. Sometimes its hard to see all the good in the world after going through such a horrible situation. Hope you begin to feel better-dogs always warm you heart, and it sounds like Malcolm is a perfect example.

Helene thanks for the link to that file. It doesn't work on my pc. I have windows 95 and fewer and fewer things work on this pc anymore. I have a friend who is a retired teacher, he told me about the same program and said he would download stuff and bring it over. Kathryn I think you are right, sometimes I get ringing in my right ear so that may be the problem.

I called the police right after this happened. Haven't heard a thing back. The Chicago police are terrible. Our local news stations have had stories about the rising crime problems in this city. Apparently few murders or assaults are ever solved.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I'm feeling a little better. Malcolm is the best little buddy. We watch tv at bedtime. I pet him. He rolls over to get the belly rubbed and falls asleep. I enjoy holding him he feels so good.

Oh, Malcolm's Dad.  I feel very close to you and your Cairn child.  Keep the faith as we are with you always.

God bless,

Tara and the Pack

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Malcolm's Dad - I had ringing in my ear too, so I'll bet that is what you are experiencing. If it continues, do see someone. It was so easy to fix, and I was sorry I waited so long.

And don't get me started on the police! A few years ago, while we were a a concert, someone kicked our back door in. Our alarm went off, and the alarm company called the police. The robber just took the flat screen tv and DVD machine on our kitchen countertop. But they threw Allie under the sink and closed the door, and she was terrified. I am sure she did not try to hurt them - the treat bowl was by the tv, and she was probably jumping up on them begging. But she has been scare of loud noises ever since.

Here is the kicker: When we got home and found everything - a door kicked in, items gone,the dog under the sink - we called the cops. They came. We asked why they had not heard from the alarm company. They checked...and a report had been filed. A squad drove by, didn't see anything from the street, and assumed it was a false alarm. if they had even shined a flashlight from the sidewalks, less than 10 feet away, they would have seen the open and shattered door. I t even get an apology...

We didn't lose much. We were lucky. But if I had been bleeding from a gun or knife wound on my kitchen floor, I would have died.

and I am truly glad you are okay too...and mad they don't even follow up after personal injury.

Glad Malcolm in there.

Such pain!   We all have seen or heard of it!  I've had the same reaction from police, here in Maryland,

when critical things occurred...but it wasn't "sensational" so they took a report and left.

One particular incident I remember is having the better part of my keyboard equipment

robbed from my van.  ( I was a full-time musician for many years.)  It was in between 4 AM

and 6 AM when I discovered it.  I had to scramble to put together what I could use for the

upcoming gig.  That was 35 years ago; I've never forgotten the feeling of panic.

Bless everyone...especially those wronged and without satisfaction.   No..."satisfaction" is

the wrong word.  The right word is "peace", as in knowing you were terribly wronged and

making peace with it.   In some cases, I'm not sure I'm there yet.

However, I highly recommend it for all my beautiful friends here on the forum.

Take care and come back often, Malcolm's Dad and Kathryn.

Shalom,

Rachel B'at Sarah V'Avaraham

Max and Nelly

I wish I had an answer for you, it is tough going when you can't even feel safe in your own neighborhood.  Maybe the answer is to simply leave the City--I have a feeling that for the foreseeable future, our major cities are simply going to be unlivable for any reasonable person.  I hate to admit that but it sure doesn't look good.

I am glad you have your Malcom to soothe you, these dogs are good therapy when we are sick or hurt.  Try to rest, recuperate, and plan on getting the heck out of there!

Wow Kathryn, glad Allie was ok after that episode. On the news Chicagoans are expressing their dissatisfaction with the police. Probably won't change anything but at least people are starting to speak out.

Tara hope things are going better for you too.

I concur with what everyone has said to encourage and support you. The part of your story that gets to me is that you can't get medical care because of no insurance. In Canada this would not happen.

• Like 1

Agreed.  I hope Obamacare is going to fix some of that.  Oh yuck...why do I even dignify the term

(invented by the opponents)? It's what we're trying to do in the US to get people covered even if they can't make the exorbitant

health care premiums.  (Mine were elevated 54% by SAIC/Kaiser Permanente this year.)

We need to take care of all and make that work!

I want the best for all who are injured or in need...especially my family, here on Cairn Talk ("Talk" seems rather shallow

compared to who we are, doesn't it?)

TLW

Max and Nelly

Maybe the answer is to simply leave the City...

That's what my grandparent's did, 30-some years ago. Lived their whole lives in Philly, never had a car. They were mugged walking back from the train station after work, a few blocks from home. They only lost a few dollars, but the keys to the house were in the purse. They were terrified that the muggers would come back and rob the house -- I think they boarded up the door that night. They sold their house for a pittance and moved to the suburbs. Now, today, Philadelphia is considering closing more than 30 schools -- where has that population gone?

Time to move to Canada! Our health care isn't perfect by any means , but no Canadian is turned away from health care. The homeless, the poor, low income families all get the same care. Hopefully we will get to keep it that way. :)

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Hi Idaho. Sorry to reply so late. You sound exactly like my brother. He said the same thing, time to get out of there. An invitation to his house is open. His kids are grown and starting homes of there own so the house is pretty empty. He has two terrier mixes a boy and girl. The girl terrier mix runs his house. He said a fiesty little Cairn and a screaching parrot would liven the place up lol. If he only knew how much a fiesty little Cairn livens things up and he may find out.

Edited by Malcolm's Dad
  • Like 1

This sounds like an excellent idea.  It has to be better than gunfire at night and being beaten and robbed.  Has Malcolm ever met his cousins?

Hope you can make this work and move to a safer situation - at least for a while till you are completely recovered.

Wishing you well.

Thanks for your well wishes everyone. I'm doing much better. I still get a headache after being out in the cold weather for a while but the ear is ok now and no more dizziness.

Malcolm has never met his cousins I don't dare take him over there. Malcolm still has problems with being extremely aggressive with other dogs and people. However Missy the girl terrier mix is the boss and she might be able to teach Malcolm some manners. Missy doesn't let me in the house at first. She gets put upstairs with a gate blocking the stairs. After a while she calms down. Then after seeing me pet Bear the boy terrier mix she decides she needs some attention too. I'd swear these dogs have some Cairn in them they have a Cairn attitude. We will have to work things out. It might take a while but I'm sure we can work it out.

Thanks. I may have spoken too soon. The last few days I haven't had ringing in the ears or dizziness. This morning I woke up to a clogged ear. Can only half hear in it. Hopefully the ear is going through a natural process of healing itself. If not I definitely need to see a doctor.

Malcolm wanted to play today no more snuggles. He said you are fine now so get on the floor and play with me lol. He is a joy when he does want to snuggle so maybe he will get back to it.