CairnTalk

Rubyslippers75

Rubyslippers75

What an adorable, confident looking pup! Fasten your seatbelt... I'm betting that Teddy is planning for many adventures, (and possibly some mischief?) ahead!

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thank you, all- Looking forward to trading stories, seeing more photos and hearing about your Cairn-kids, too!

Teddy is definitely adventurous, full of mischief &Cairn-like challenges, very affectionate, sweet and may be willing to share his favorite tennis ball! His name, "Ready Teddy" says it all!

Teddy is very happy to be with you!  Wow he is a cutie.  Can't wait to hear all about his wily ways.   Welcome!

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

You are a handsome boy Teddy! Welcome to the best cairn site ever. :)

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Teddy came from a breeder at 9 month old. He lived with 8 other Cairns (heaven!) and had limited socialization with a variety of people, situations and other breed dogs. As you all can imagine, this presented a number of challenges that we are still working through.

In the interim, we moved twice so Teddy needed to make those adjustments, too, and he did. He has a wonderful temperament and is very sweet, but needed training to teach him acceptable responses to things he did not understand, like the fact running children and people are not prey to be jumped upon, and growling at people he doesn't know scares some people. We were very fortunate to come across a fabulous trainer who actually had a Cairn and understood their personality. She worked with Teddy for several weeks and they became fast friends. She worked with him to be more accepting of people, runners, children, and larger dogs - he actually has some large breed friends! 

Today he is so much better adjusted and loves most people. We continuously train him for a few minutes a day, at her recommendation, to stay alpha to him. It works! He is terrific outside of our home, on the street, at the Vet, at the groomer, but still "goes after" an occasional visitor who comes into our house-We can't figure out what triggers that response-Anyone have thoughts about that, please share! He's a work in progress!

Yes, this is a wonderful site, even though Teddy is my second Cairn, I learn something with each post I read. As a matter of fact, someone on this board recommended a groomer in Madison, NJ who hand strips-I cannot find the original thread to the post, but I wanted to say thanks for the link! I took Teddy yesterday to this groomer and he stripped him, including his head- he looks terrific. I will post a stripped photo of him later. I also purchased the various recommended grooming tools to keep his coat up and I'm going to try to roll it so he stays in coat longer.

Thank you all for your comments-I look forward to sharing/hearing about your dogs!

Welcome to you and your Teddy from my family and my Teddy, and Olie and Sweet Pea of course!

Looks like we have coat color in common.   Never did learn stripping or found anyone who could do it,

but I'm game for new stuff.  Great picture.

• Like 1

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg