CairnTalk

Susan DeWitt

bradl

The Cairn world lost another luminary this morning with the passing of Sue DeWitt, Happicairn. It was only this summer when Sue lost Jack. Sue was pre-eminent in Cairn rescue as well as behind some notable Cairns, among them the winner of the 2002 National Specialty. I believe she was among the founders of the Housatonic club.

I'm not having any luck turning up a decent photo of Sue, she seemed to have a knack for ducking my camera.

I don't have the standing to speak of her many accomplishments so I can only speak to the ways we intersected personally.

For one our beloved Haggis was sired by their Pinetop Paperchase. I've probably told this story before... after twenty or so years in Oregon I was on a business trip to Waltham, Mass and noticed there was a dog show at the Eastern States Expo center in Springfield (I grew up in a suburb of Springfield). I did not know a soul in dogs other than the breeder of our Barley and Haggis, although I knew that "Chase" and the DeWitts were from Connecticut. While waiting for the Cairn ring time to start, I wandered around the vendors, as one does, and was admiring a print of a Cairn scene and a voice behind me says, "I have the original of that." I turned around and said, "Then you must be Susan DeWitt!" That surprised her! It was practically the only fact I knew ... Barbara our breeder had told us that Sue owned the original of a very popular print. My one and only bit of trivia and I got to put it to use. She and Jack were as welcoming and gracious as could be, inviting me to their home to see Chase. I couldn't go as I was having dinner with my uncle, so the next day they brought Chase to the show, so I could meet him. He was an elderly Cairn by that time, but still in great shape ... much like Haggis would someday be.

I always enjoyed seeing Susan at the national specialty and catching up and giving her reports on her Chase boy out west. From my limited perspective, with Jack, Susan and Haggis all gone, it's like a chapter has ended. It was a book I'll cherish.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Condolences to you, Brad. Sue and Jack sound like very special people who loved Cairns. They will be missed by all who knew and loved them.

Edited by BetsyNoodle

Sorry to hear about this. Thanks for sharing your story (again), as I had not heard it before as I am sure others havn't either.

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

great story. i know the eastern states expo grounds well from horse events. waltham isn't close (except in comparison to oregon of course). you went a long way out of your way to meet your destiny!

Condolences Brad. Losing people is hard. So glad they were in your life and brought your special cairns to you!

Edited by Hillscreek

Nice story - glad you shared your loss with us - very sorry. I am sure it does seem like the end of a good book .... that you never want to end.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

The family welcomes Susan’s friends to a memorial gathering to be held at 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, January 6, at the Leo P. Gallagher & Son Funeral Home, 2900 Summer Street, Stamford, Ct.

Interment will be private.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

So sorry to hear of this loss. It does seem that 2012 has been a year for loss as everyone I know has lost someone dear to them this year. God Bless you Brad!