CairnTalk

Everyone needs to buy this now for your Cairn!

Newman

Okay I can't believe I havn't made a topic or told anyone, but there is this special flashlight that we have that is "Mechanical" where you wind it up instead of using a battery.

Picture:

96029350-260x260-0-0_Bass+Pro+Shops+Nebo+Wind+Up+Flashlight+Bass+Pro+Sh.jpg

Okay on the other side there is this "Crank" handle that you wind with your wirst. Once you start winding it, it makes a little crank noise, your cairn will absolutely flip s***!! And go bezerk! He will hear it a mile away (no lie) and start running towards you like crazy. Then you turn it on and flash the light on the floor and your cairn will bark like he's about to kill the light that's moving on the floor. It's so cool and I recommend everyone here buy one of these flash lights. Your dog will have an absolute blast!

If fonzy is in the kitchen and I Walk about with this in my hand, he will instantly know what I have and start the "attack" / "hunt" mode to chase the light. This is the way better than those stupid "lasers" because you can hurt your dogs eyes if pointed in them on accident, and they don't have the "cranking" sound like these winding flashlights do.

I need to get a video of fonzy going absolutely ape shiat crazy if he hears me starting winding up the flashlight!!!

okay so yeah i seriously think everyone should go buy 1 from wal mart or wherever, it's so epic. (I Think it's called "Nebo handheld flashlight") if you want to find one google :)

enjoy!

EDIT:

Another awesome trick is when you're making a smoothie using a blender or using a food processor to chop up onions or whatnot, bring it into your room and put it the on floor and turn it on and your cairn will go absolutely crazy mad, start barking at it like he's going to rip off the blenders head, it's just epic!! (Ofcourse keep your hand on the blender) so he wont knock it over lol), so epic!!

Well he actually wont touch the blender the cairn is smart enough to stay away from it because they know, but just incase :D

Edited by Newman

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

This is actually not such a good idea. Cairns - like any dogs - can become obsessed with certain sights and sounds which can lead to behavioral problems. I would recommend that you not tease Fonzy with any of these items.

We had a light-crazed dog once. She would obsess over every sparkle, the sweep of light as the refrigerator door opened and closed, the flash of a watch crystal on the wall, etc. It was exhausting for her and us. No laser toys or flashlight play for our guys.

Although I do sort of collect flashlights. And have a special fondness for crank-generated devices, including two crank lanterns. Come the apocalypse when the batteries run out, a crank flashlight will be golden :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

If Fonzy continues to look for the light after you turn it off - - do not continue this game. Attila became obsessed with the laser pointer and after doing it a few times with him he almost became permanently obsessed with lights, thanks to the helpful folks on this site we stopped and Attila slowly recovered back to his normal self. I'll never use laser pointers or lights with any dog. See the following videos I made during that time:

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

We had a light-crazed dog once. She would obsess over every sparkle, the sweep of light as the refrigerator door opened and closed, the flash of a watch crystal on the wall, etc. It was exhausting for her and us. No laser toys or flashlight play for our guys.

Although I do sort of collect flashlights. And have a special fondness for crank-generated devices, including two crank lanterns. Come the apocalypse when the batteries run out, a crank flashlight will be golden :P

LOL Yeah no kidding, crank flashlights are awesome!

Well we have some good news, I forgot to tell you all, I only play with it for like 5seconds just to get him into hunting mode, or do for it like 5 seconds infront of 1 of my friends, I do it about 2-3 times a month, nothing more, less than 5 seconds each :P

Once I start cranking the wheel though, he goes absolutely crazy!, I don't see any behavior problems and I've been doing this 2-3 times a month for about 2years so far.

The smoothie maker is absolutely awesome, bring the smoothie maker into your room, fill it up with like 20 things of ice, turn that baby on and the sound of crushing ice will make your cairn just go insane and bark like he's about to kill the smoothie maker, it's so awesome! LOL :D (I do this like 20 times a year)

I am just trying to prove a point that cairns are very smart and underrated. Once I grab the flashlight from above the refrigerator, fonzy already knows what to do.... (He knows it's hunting time) Same for if I start making a smoothie out in the living room, he starts jumping and knows it's time to attack the smoothie :)

Another reason you guys must know about me, I would actually love to watch fonzy go hunt a rabbit/squirrel or virmin out in the cairns in real life. I would even brush his damn teeth after before he got home just because I love him so much.

It's sad that most people don't take advantage of having fun with their dogs today, time goes by way to fast, fonzy is not going to live forever... we need to share and have as much as we can.

Unfortunately I would just love for one day to see my baby fonzy go sick em at a virmin or rat or squirrel / rabbit or whatever may be outside in the backyard. I would love it to watch him just hunt them now, but that's just me. I just love how these cairns were bred/built, it's so awesome.

Have you guys ever heard of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphoria ?

This is how I feel when I see my dog hunt or bark at things, It's so awesome, I don't know how to explain it.

One example I gave last year, my dog was attacking bees on the tree... My dog fonzy grabbed a pee out of the tree and put it in his mouth and shook his head ( death shake ) to kill. I was in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euphoria and just feeling so good!!! But then my mom was like "Don't let him kill that bee!!!" Which was just stupid... let the damn cairn do what a CAIRN DOES!! SICK EM FOREVER!! <3333333333333333333

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!