CairnTalk

when do cairns calm and settle down if they actually do?

alvintran1998

Yoda's an almost 2 year old sweet and lovely Cairn who loves chasing balls and playing outside. But theres a down side to him that kind of annoys us is that he's VERY active inside when we just want to relax on the couch, and we want him to be a lap dog. But we have to glue our eyes on him at all time since he always get himself into trouble and can never sit still. I want to know when Cairn terriers start to settle down and decrease their natural high energy? We love his high energy when he's outside, but when he's in the house, its really annoying sometimes. Please help

Idaho Cairns

I can't "help" you except to say "Exercise patience", your dog is still young and most Cairns settle down after the second year or so. He will still nag you to toss a ball for him and unless you teach him that "No ball" means, "No I am not going to throw a ball for you!" then he will, as most Cairns will, persist in annoying you until he gets what he wants. Give in and you are doomed. You must choose the time to play and limit it if you want to enjoy your evenings.

Cairns don't, I think, understand the difference between outside play and inside play except they can run faster in one than the other--I suspect that is the extent of their ability to discern differences so if they play hard outside, it will come in with them.

Getting your dog to obey you is important--you need to be able to stop him from annoying you and/or "getting in trouble" when you aren't paying attention. Work on "No!"--a great general command that means, among other things, "I don't like what you are doing and you must stop it!"

Very few Cairns are true lap dogs--some will come for loving some of the time but they seem to prefer choosing the time, the amount, and the frequency. Not that they aren't affectionate in their way, they are and it varies from dog to dog but they will never be slavering simps that will walk thru hot coals for a pet like some breeds. Once in awhile they will sigh and relax while you stroke them but not for very long--they come, get their compliments and ear scritching and then shake it off, and go to do something they had in mind before you bothered them with your needs. If you really wear them out ( I recommend dog parks so other peoples' dogs can do the wearing out), then they may lay down beside you on the couch and stay there as long as you don't bother them with too many attempted strokes--they won't hesitate to jump down and lay down across the room if you irritate them with your affection.

Wish I could assure you that your Cairn could be a little Golden Retriever, in your face, tongue out, and on it's back letting you scratch its belly for nine tenths of it's mortal existence but it would be a lie. Cairns have an agenda of their own and exercise an independent streak that may or may not include a human being except for the necessities-- to open the door to the yard, refresh the water bowl, or fill the food dish.

Despite all that, they are wonderful dogs that will rarely let you down, will always entertain, are cocksure "on steroids", and will be the best companion dog you'll ever have so long as you let them be Cairns.

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 2

Someone once wrote on this forum, "A tired Cairn is a good Cairn" and I have found it to be very true, both with my Cairn, Molly (who now lives with my ex-husband) and my Westie. These little guys and gals need to be worn out by evening. I like Idaho's suggestion about the dog park, as they play the hardest when they are with other dogs. (Unfortunately we can't do this with our Westie, Lola, as she hates other dogs). I know that with Molly, she chilled out in the evenings, and slept best when she spent a few hours romping and playing with other dogs. With Lola, she chills out in the evenings and sleeps best when she's had a full day outside running around, doing her "doggie work", chasing bugs and birds and exploring all the sights and sounds.

Molly is now 4, and Lola 3. My ex tells me that Molly has calmed down a bit in the past year

We still have the occasional "zoomies" around the house, which makes us laugh, and some nights Lola is quite restless. We try to keep her busy with a variety of toys. Often throwing her toys up and down the stairs a few times, and having her chase them, can wear her out for a while on a rainy day or evening. Sometimes we dump her toy box in the middle of the room and she "rediscovers" those that were at the bottom of the box. These little terriers are *smart*, and interactive toys are helpful. Molly has one where there are little stuffed squirrels in a stuffed house and she has to get each one out. We'd sometimes put a little treat behind the squirrels that she has to dig out. Some people freeze peanut butter in a Kong toy for them to work on for a while (make sure this is in the kitchen, or other place that is easy to clean as it can get a bit messy. Same for Bully sticks, but be careful with those. Some Cairns (like Molly) will happily chew on them for 1/2 hour. Others I've read about, will try to inhale them quickly. Both Molly and Lola like ice. They bat it around and chase it, then sit in a corner and lick it on a hot day. Keep changing it up to keep your dog's interest and make sure Yoda's worn out by the evening. I think in the next year he *may* chill out a little bit compared to his first two years. Good luck. :)

I agree with Idaho...if your cairn is still hyper inside, then you're not playing with him enough "outside".

My dog, (Fonzy) get's a hard run outside and we play for 10-20minutes non-stop ball throwing. When he get's inside he drinks water and relaxes. Fonzy is 2 as well. You just need to play with your dog more and he/she will be less active inside. (Very hard to say that...)

Cairns will never be a laptop, they are way to full of energy. Only time they can be a lapdog is if they're sleeping! LOL

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

Wear that dog out, and when you think he's wore down, do it again.

And I totally agree with everyone above.

With that being said, Murphy just turned 4 in May, and I have to say, there has been a big change in him since then. He is more mature, and he is calming down quite a bit. He still plays hard and is still my little clown, but that change has been so noticeable.

if your question is when do cairns gear down and let other qualities in (like attentiveness and sociability and thoughtfulness), i think most of the experiences here suggest it is about age 3. some seem to go to 4 in high gear, some start to mellow out after second birthday. i would assume you are most of the way there but still have a ways to go, so the coping strategies everybody have suggested are important.

two days ago on the street i saw a women walking a lovely black-brindle, long-haired cairn girl. i remarked on the dog and said i had too cairns and she stared at me and said, "bless you. how did you do it?" she had the usual stories of the trials of a cairn puppy, and the common lament, "i had only had labs! we didn't know what we had got into!" but her girl was now six, a good citizen and a good friend.

Gotta agree with above. Cairns are not lap dogs. Angus is a cuddly young thing but only on his terms and rarely for any extended time.

In the evening when I want to watch TV he thinks it's time to play because I'm not doing all the other stuff I do all day (which includes him most of the time). So I play with him for a short while and then I tell him 'that's all' and ignore him. After a bit he settles. He turns one year old next week and I do not expect him ever to be a lap dog but that in a year or two or three he will be calmer. That's just the way these dogs are.

Have patience.

Yup to all above. My very overgeneralized sense of it is something like this:

0-4 weeks: Aw Cute
4 weeks - 9 months: Clown-Shark-Insane-Cute
9 months - 1 year: Flashes of Hope
1 - 3 years: Teen Rebellion
3 - 5 years: Adult Pretender
5- 8 years: Citizen and Friend
8- 12 years: Steadfast Companion
12 - 14 years: Cherished Elder
14+: Slow Fade, Wistful Ruin, Graceful Decline, Sudden Collapse (depending on circumstances)

• Like 5

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Pegi just turned 3, and has calmed down somewhat. But she does get 2 walks per day. Her nightime walk is w/another neighborhood dog, and they always visit a golden who has a fenced in yard. Nothing like 20 minutes of chasing around 2 big dogs to tire her out!!!

Linda & Pegi

Tanner started to calm down after his second birthday. Although, I wouldn't classify him as a lap dog. As previously said, when he wants cuddled, he comes to me for it and when he's done, he leaves. A key part in the calming down process is simply making sure your pup is getting enough exercise. A tried cairn is, indeed, a much happier, calm, cuddly cairn. :)

Becky & Tanner

Ok.. Made me tear up also. I don't want Jock to move past steadfast companion. He really is the best pal I have , no one is as loyal, sweet ( and grumpy) as he is. Sorry DH!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I love my cairn, Yoda, to death. We took him to the dog park today for him to fetch some balls with his canine friends, but he doesn't seem to like other pals get into his face or get near his ball. Does your cairn do this too? He snaps and barks back when they get into his space, and doesnt play or join the pack of other dogs. =[ sigh. I just love for him to socialize at the park and hang with other dogs and not be isolated. Does anybody know how to stop this issue?

I will always stand in line to do this again. I have only had Tessie 5 months but I can not remember how it was with out her. She is amazing. I don't see calm in the future but thats OK I am reveling in the moment, inculding todays terrier frenzy

• Like 1

Brad as soon as I read the line ... Slow Fade, Wistful Ruin, Graceful Decline, Sudden collapse, I couldn't hold my composer because I can see these little dogs being that way, I can't bare to see Kelly that way and then lose her. Just the thought rips my heart out. she is my constant companion and ready to go with me when no one else wants too. The whole thing is beautiful and well written, You know I was laughing at the Jaws part. I'm actually surprised that Kelly doesn't think that is her name, as we called her that for at least 3 months. haha I am in line to go through it all again as soon as I find one, and a Cairn will be in my life for the rest of my life. I find them to be such a joy. I also find this forum to be a complete joy and so helpful, and I appreciate your wisdom and every one else's wisdom. Thank you for it all.

• Like 1

Geez, Brad.

Packy calmed down nicely by 2 years old. He's a couch potato now at 8 and will happily sit with you for a nice long scratch, but get him outside and he's ready to go. You could tell Kirby had matured by 1 1/2 yrs. but at 4 yrs old now, he's still running around like a maniac. When asked to "work" with his training collar on though, he's great.

The suggestion to wear them out, then wear them out again, is appropriate!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

0-4 weeks: Aw Cute

4 weeks - 9 months: Clown-Shark-Insane-Cute

9 months - 1 year: Flashes of Hope

1 - 3 years: Teen Rebellion

Teen rebellion is where we are now - just given up on flashes of hope that this wouldn't happen with Angus.......! He had learned everything so nicely. Now he wants to do it whatever it might be his way. :devil:

He rolls his eyes, sticks his butt in the air and makes his small growly ruff ruff that says make me ......... it's all a game with him and it is hard for me to stay serious sometimes.

He is smart but I am trying to be smarter. I now think ahead and try to avoid a direct confrontation. I praise him whenever I can.

He still comes for snuggles beside me on the sofa.

He wants to go everywhere with me and do anything. So involved and eager. What a fun guy.

He is sometimes trying and irritating, especially when I have to get going with something, or when I want to take a break. I know he'll be this way for a while but I still enjoy him because that last sad goodbye will come one day as it has for other dear dog companions I've had the privilege to know.

Relish every day you have with your bouncy independent little guys.

Edited by Hillscreek

He is smart but I am trying to be smarter. I now think ahead and try to avoid a direct confrontation when I can, because that's no fun.

:thumbsup:

Relish every day you have with your bouncy independent little guys.

Exactly! Sorry if I bummed anyone out. I really meant "it gets better" and "enjoy it while you can."

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

We shouldn't focus on what always is going to be the fate of our little companions if dwelling on it sullies in any way the pure joy of sharing a life with one. That is foolish because the pain, tho sharp, does not and should not diminish the pleasure of owning a Cairn.

With dogs you know going in that you will outlive them--make the best of the time between, it is all good.

• Like 1

OK, penance = picture! I don't know the exact ages (roughly between 12 and 2), but here are three generations of some local Cairns, all dolled up.

zoe-mary-padme-jimmy.jpg

Zoe, Mary, Padme, and Jimmy. Photo © by Alicia Dickerson Smith, Four Legged Photo.

• Like 5

Ok that makes me want another even worse. They are adorable!

This topics consensus seems to be that most Cairns don't become lap dogs until later in life. Should I be worried that at 1 1/2 years Kelly is already a lap dog? Kelly will come to us wanting to set on our laps and she will stay there for an hour or more most days (so long as we aren't moving around a lot) She will play as long as we will play, too. I haven't seen even a slight hint of teenage rebellion. She is more like most are describing their dogs to be from ages 5 to 8 years. For those of you that have raised several from pups have you ever had one that seemed really mature at a really young age? Thanks in advance!

Should I be worried that at 1 1/2 years Kelly is already a lap dog? Kelly will come to us wanting to set on our laps and she will stay there for an hour or more most days (so long as we aren't moving around a lot)

I wouldn't worry. My Loki has always been a lap dog, from the day we got him at 10 months old, to a little over 5 years old today. On weekends, my routine is to make a cup of tea and sit down with a book after our morning walk and Loki is on my lap as soon as my seat hits the chair. He'd stay there for hours if I could last that long, yet he is still game for six plus mile walks, chasing balls, playing tug, digging in the yard, and chasing squirrels and cats.

• Like 1

Who rescued whom?

Lynn, I think you should thank your "lucky stars", not worry. Some pups are just more mature than others--Bonnie's sister is much more steady, "mature", than Bon-- always has been and she is a year younger.

I understand that male Cairns are more affectionate than females of the breed but I have no experience with male Cairns.

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 1