CairnTalk

when do cairns calm and settle down if they actually do?

alvintran1998

I know what Brad meant. My babies are 10, 10, and almost 12. It takes next to nothing to get them primed for

play. (That Daddy Beas' is tricky!)

Prior, I've seen 2 Cairns to the end of life...and they do slow down ... eventually. But every moment is worth it.

I'll have Cairns in my life forever. :wub:

• Like 3

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Yup to all above. My very overgeneralized sense of it is something like this:

0-4 weeks: Aw Cute

4 weeks - 9 months: Clown-Shark-Insane-Cute

9 months - 1 year: Flashes of Hope

1 - 3 years: Teen Rebellion

3 - 5 years: Adult Pretender

5- 8 years: Citizen and Friend

8- 12 years: Steadfast Companion

12 - 14 years: Cherished Elder

14+: Slow Fade, Wistful Ruin, Graceful Decline, Sudden Collapse (depending on circumstances)

Far by the best post i've ever seen on the internet!

The teen rebellion had me in tears! That is great brad! I can so picture my dog becoming a "Adult Pretender" in the future!! Awesome post +1 like!

• Like 2

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

• 3 months later...

Im now revisiting the old posts, and most if not all of your input are definitely true with Yoda. He has just turned 2 on Dec 1, and we've noticed just a tiny decrease of energy in him, but he is far from being a lapdop. Still full of energy, and that obsession with balls. So now my question is, how much do YOU exercise your Cairn to get him to at least stay at your foot indoors? We usually do a 45 mins walk in the morning, and some park time during te weekend, but as you may know, Seattle has one of the wettest climates, so it's hard to find a sunny day.

Gotta learn to go out when the sun is not shining!

Spoken by one born in rainy England.

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 1

Agree with Hills--humans have GorTex and Cairns have a double coat that naturally evolves from a harsher, wetter climate than Seattle. I know it can be a mess dealing with wet Cairns but that is why we humans also have "old towels" that never leave the laundry room. Our Cairns certainly like wet weather so long as they don't have to face any really hard winds with the rain.

As a postscript to the above, nothing is more useful for our girls when they get that hyper "we gotta get outta here!" housebound attitude than the local dog park--rain or shine, mud or dry, the dog park is simply the best way to exercise the dogs that we have found. It allows us to stand around with poop bags (full or otherwise) engaging in idle conversation with other dog owners comparing the relative merits of one dog or another, hear dog stories, while the dogs run their little hearts out chasing other dogs all over the place. Not only are these community parks great for socialization purposes but they are invaluable as a place where our Cairns can exhaust themselves trying to keep up with other dogs.

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 1

Agree with Idaho. Wish there was a dog park near here. Angus loved it when we visited one at Thanksgiving.

He goes to doggie day care one morning a week. It has helped him learn how to get along with other dogs. He loves it and runs right in.

Can add that exercising their brains tires cairns also. In the winter I teach Angus tricks - rollover, lie like a baby.etc. He won't shake hands, which I read was the easiest trick to teach a dog - maybe cairns go direct to graduate school! Also I make him sit and wait till I hide hide toys or treats then have him 'go find'.

He's a good little retriever and will bring the ball back lots of times for me to throw it again.

For Christmas I'm going to buy him one of those puzzles where they have to move the pieces around to get the treat.

• 7 years later...

A definite yes to all of the above, but my experience has been a little different when it comes to the question of whether or not Cairns are lap dogs. My Gunner is about a year-and-a-half now, and he is definitely a lap dog. I will be laying on the couch reading, watching TV, etc, and he will jump on up and plopped himself on my stomach. I am definitely experiencing the teenage rebellion years because whether or not he decides to listen to me is completely up to him despite knowing exactly what I want him to do. They are very smart dogs, but they definitely think they run the show.

• Like 1

Hi Minnesota Cairn from another MInnesotan with 2 cairns! We live in Minneapolis near where 94 crosses the river -- where are you?

Anyway, I have posted this photo before, but our two cairns are both lap dogs -- and couch dogs, and bed dogs, etc. etc. With all the ice and snow the past few days they have spent their time moving from my lap to my husband's, but not much further.  20181215_013807.thumb.jpg.9b391a13d86a319007da1a68fe42f12f.jpg 

• Like 2