CairnTalk

Peeing in crate

Rate this topic

2ksforu

Hi everyone. I am a new member here. My family and I just recently adopted a cairn from my sister-in-law. She didn't really have the time that Mozart required and we were looking to adopt a pet similar to him anyways. So we have had him for almost a week. Well I learned tonight that he has been urinating in his crate after I place him in there for bedtime or when we go off. Mind you, he isn't in his crate very much at all. I am home with him during the day and when we go places its usually for a maximum of 2 hours. We kept the blanket that he has had from day one to minimize the separation anxiety. I have washed it once since we brought him home. Well tonight I go to place him in his crate for bedtime and I noticed the smell of urine. So I grabbed the blanket (which is on top of a pillow) and the smell was horrible and damp. So I took it out to wash it. Well I closed the crate and he whined for a little bit but eventually stopped. I went back downstairs to grab something and noticed there was fresh urine on his pillow. So he peed on his pillow after I placed him in his crate. UGH! I took him out right before putting him in his crate for the night and he went potty. What can I do to break this habit, because he's obviously doing it all the time and I just haven't noticed. We just purchased the pillow yesterday and I didn't wash it before hand. Should I have washed it? I got his crate from my in law and honestly feel its way too big for him but it's what she had used and therefore I just acquired it with him. And too, I think she would put a pee pad down at one end of the crate for during the day when she was gone to work and he was in there for several hours. I have got to break this. I mean could it be for pure attention, habit, or what? Any advice is needed and appreciated! I am also signing him up for training classes. He's a pretty calm and well behaved dog for only 8 months with no previous training at all. He rarely barks, only plays with his toys, sits and stays when you tell him too. But this peeing in his crate has got to go! :-)

First, welcome to the forum!

Step one - make the crate smaller by putting a board or some other divider in there so he only has room to turn around on the spot and lay down. When they have more room than that they can get the idea that they have room for a bathroom area. Only make the area bigger when he grows or is better at not making accidents. Next I would only put a simple blanket in there for him to lay on so you can easily tell if he peed. And if he continues to pee in there don't even put the blanket in there. Also make sure you clean up any traces of pee using an enzyme spray of some sort that's safe for pets to remove all traces of urine smell. Also cover the crate-that will make it more den like and more comfortable and safe feeling.

It will get better. He could be nervous in his new environment. Tessa our little one who is now 7 months still has issues with accidents in her crate, she even lays down in her pee! Ugh!

Good luck!

I like the name Mozart!

(null)

Edited by DemiSheep
  • Like 1

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

Thanks DemiSheep! I will go out and grab some spray tomorrow and also try your recommendations. And he obviously will lay in his pee also..gross, gross, gross! My fingers are crossed

When Tessa lays or sits in her own pee, we clean her as best we can with a handful of baby wipes - the pee just gets soaked in her hair...

(null)

Edited by DemiSheep

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

I agree with DemiSheep. The smaller the crate the better. we used the size she would need as an adult, but made it smaller with a board while she was a pup. He could still do it for a while since he has been using it for a bathroom for some time. He is most likely doing it out of habit. If he doesn't stop after a couple of weeks I would not use it all. If he doesn't chew up your stuff it may help not to use it since he has been trained to potty in it. These are smart little dogs and he will get it eventually.

Good luck and keep us posted we always like to know how it goes.

• 5 months later...

I would invest in a new crate/kennel.  Make certain that it is only big enough for your new dog to stand, turn around & stretch.  If it's too large, he will definitely urinate in it.  Also, you will need to walk him frequently during his first month of adjustment to his new home and family.  10-12 times per day is NOT unusual and a middle of the night walk can help, too.  It DOES get better.  These are smart dogs who want to please you.