CairnTalk

Where can we "meet" some Cairns?

MsLeesa

Hullo,

My husband and I had a little mixed terrier rescue dog "Peanut" for 12 years. We think he was part Cairn. (pix attached)

Sadly Peanut has passed away and we're thinking we'd like to adopt a Cairn within the next year or so (we're not quite ready yet).

We'd like to go to some events to "meet" Cairns and see if the breed is right for us. Can anyone please suggest any events where we could do this?

We live in Los Angeles.

Thank you,

Leesa

post-5992-0-64303000-1343353263_thumb.jp

post-5992-0-41821000-1343353301_thumb.jp

I'm sorry that you lost your Peanut. It's never easy saying goodbye to our friends.

Peanut certainly looks part terrier. Maybe some Maltese too?

I don't live in the LA area, but here are some possible ideas in terms of meeting Cairns:

-Go to the AKC events calendar and see if there are any Earthdog events in your area. There are usually a few Cairns at them. And it's a way to see a Cairn in an environment very close to what they were bred for. http://www.akc.org/events/index.cfm?nav_area=events

-Contact the Cairn Terrier Club of Southern California (http://www.cairnterrier.net/) to see if they have any events you could meet some Cairns at.

Best of luck in your search for a dog! If you decide Cairns are the right breed for you, you're in for an adventure. Addie is my first Cairn and is the best dog I've ever had. She definitely won't be my last Cairn.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Peanut was an adorable pup. Sorry for your loss and I hope that you get to meet some cairns - they will steal your heart, just like Peanut did. Good luck in your search.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Finding a show or event is a great idea.

Sometimes breeders will meet with people who are researching the breed, so they can interact with Cairns and learn about them as a breed. You could try a location search on breeder referral to see if anyone listed would be willing to do that. Even if they are not, they may be able to suggest shows in the area which are likely to be well attended by Cairn exhibitors.

Here's a link to the results if you put "los angeles" and "100 miles" into the search box on the breeder referral page of this site: http://members.ctca....os+angeles/100/

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you lost your little Peanut. He looks a lot like my Ziggy - the non-Cairn of the family - who is a Shih Tzu/Silky Terrier mix. I'm sure you'll be able to find some Cairn folks who would be happy to introduce you to the breed, either at shows or elsewhere. They are amazing dogs. Buffy is the first Cairn I've owned and now that she has matured and is past the puppy/adolescent craziness, she's a wonderful companion and our favorite comedian. .

I can see the cairn in Peanut. He looks totally irresistible in the photos and was quite a swimmer! I can see why you fell in love with Peanut and just wanted to say I'm so sorry for your loss.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

MsLeesa, to list a few reasons why my wife and I decided Cairns were the dogs for us: They hardly shed at all, so they're very hypoallergenic. They are tough little dogs that are great with kids. They do not require baths and in fact you don't want to bath them except 2-4 times a year. Attila has not had a bath since before Christmas and still doesn't need one. They do not stink. They actually smell good most of the time. Tessa smells like babypowder! We thought the breeder had bathed her with a good smelling shampoo when we picked her up, and then we had to give her a bath a month later and just the other day I told my wife that Tessa smelled like baby powder and my wife totally agreed and reminded me about the two baths and that she had thought the smell was from the baths but now it's been a long time since her last bath and she has a strong baby powder smell. They are smart dogs. They generally get a long with other dogs and people. The Cairn breed is the dog breed my wife and I chose because of all the research we did and all the benefits I listed above.

I would not doubt at all any breeder would gladly show you their dogs so you can meet some Cairns. Good luck.

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

I think it just matters where we live..

I live in wa, state and not alot goes on around here.

i live 2minutes away from the countrys largest fair though, (Puyallup Fair) so sometimes we have dogshows, but im to lazy to go see.

i know fonzy is #1 anyway, i know it could be fun to watch/see other puppies/cairns, but i would have to go by myself, or I could get fonzy on a lease ..... hahahaha fonzy will lick everyone if I go!!

just depends where u live!!

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

I just want to say that your little Peanut was adorable and I am so very sorry for your loss. My husband and I adopted our Cairn boy, Murphy, from a rescue organization. He has brought more joy and laughter into our home than we could have imagined. I know I may be biased but, in my opinion, Cairns don't disappoint! :) They are splendid little dogs that love life and their humans with the whole of their hearts.