CairnTalk

Urban earth dog?

hheldorfer

In the past few weeks Buffy has made a great discovery: There are critters hiding in the storm sewer drains. One day on our morning walk, she and Ziggy started ruffing and whining and pulled me over to one of the drains on the curb. They were both very excited, sniffing and pawing at the drain. Then I heard something go "plop" into the water, which excited them further. Since then, they insist on examining every storm drain on our walks and have located others with occupants.

I talked to a neighbor who told me there were raccoons hiding in the storm drains and he's seen a mother coon with babies going in and out. I guess they're going anywhere they can to escape the heat and dryness and the storm drains are a safe option.

Buffy has suggested we open a few entrances to the drains and have an urban earth dog trial but I don't think it's a good idea to take on a mother raccoon.

No I don't think so :) plop....not a rat I hope! Alberta is rat free so the thought of something horrid like a rat makes my hair stand on end. I have seen sewer rats the size of Jock in Europe ...Jock and I would never leave the house!

Tell Buffy to just look but not touch...if that is possible for any Cairn!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Pegi has always stopped at every storm drain on our walks. We have seen chipmunks go in and out many times. Once Pegi sees a critter (cat, squirrel, chipmunk) at any given spot, she has to stop every time we go by to see if it's still there......they have amazing memories.

Linda & Pegi

Raccoons are bad news & can be aggressive with dogs. I have a friend whose Whippet was very seriously injured by raccoons. I have also heard of a Cairn who was eviscerated and killed by raccoons. By all means keep Buffy away.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Pegi has always stopped at every storm drain on our walks. We have seen chipmunks go in and out many times. Once Pegi sees a critter (cat, squirrel, chipmunk) at any given spot, she has to stop every time we go by to see if it's still there......they have amazing memories.

It's positively wonderous what the Cairn memory latches onto...and doesn't give up!

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Do you want Dempsy and I to come set a live trap? We are getting to be excellent trappers. Now we are trapping baby coons - they are so cute - but so distructive.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Buffy would love you and Dempsy to come for a visit. Buffy could show Demps all her favorite sniff spots and show him how city dogs live. Then we could come to South Dakota and Demps can introduce Buffy to country life. Sort of a doggie foreign exchange program.

Buffy would love you and Dempsy to come for a visit. Buffy could show Demps all her favorite sniff spots and show him how city dogs live. Then we could come to South Dakota and Demps can introduce Buffy to country life. Sort of a doggie foreign exchange program.

Laughing at this idea.. I've got a city cairn as well, and whenever we take her to the country, she is amazed at the chipmunk holes in the ground and that birds come in other colors than dusty gray (pigeons!) :)

In the city, raccoons and opossums, (as well as rats) live in the drain sewer system. Mostly this happens in the suburban parts. You can often see at dusk, when driving, 1-3 raccoons sticking their heads out I a drain sewer checking to see if it's dark enough yet for them to come out.

(null)

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)