CairnTalk

Name Change

Malcolm's Dad

I've changed the screen name from IGotAHome to Malcolm's Dad.

I used IGotAHome for 2 reasons.

1. To emphasize adoption. I have nothing against breeders. Without them we would not have the purebreds we enjoy so much. My family has always taken dogs off the street or adopted them from a shelter. When I go to a shelter my heart breaks. There are so many dogs I want to take them all. Of course that is not possible. God Bless the rescue organizations like cairnrescueleague. Without them a lot of dogs would no longer be with us.

2. To remind myself I made a commitment when I adopted this dog. I knew Malcolm was a problem dog when I adopted him. Not that Cairns are problem dogs, it is just Malcolm. I still haven't been able to break the extreme (and I mean extreme) aggressiveness of this dog. I think many Cairn owners have said one time or another their dog is going back to the shelter or back to the breeder or give them to the first person that walks by. That won't happen we love them too much but they can be frustrating at times. Malcolm has his forever home, that will never change.

Malcolm has changed though. As many on this forum have said the dog you see at 1 year old is not the dog you will see at 3 or 4 years old. Malcolm listens to me a lot more than he did. He wants to be by my side. Not a lap dog more of a lay by my foot dog.

So its time for a fresh start. Time for a new name.

BTW my name is Scott. My friends kid me, they say there is Scott with his little Scottie. We know a Cairn is not a Scottie but most people don't.

When I first starting using chat rooms long ago people cautioned never give out personal information over the web. Identity theft was not much of a problem back then like it is now. Good advice then and certainly now. Giving a first name doesn't seem like that much of a problem and it's easier to type. Besides, just having my first name won't enable a thief to steal the billions and billions in my secret Swiss bank accounts (I wish lol). Use Scott if it is easier for you.

I'm going back to bed now. Its 3am and some idiot is blowing off fireworks. I couldn't sleep so I got online and finally figured out how to change the screen name.

Night.

Good morning Scott! You had alot on your mind a 3 a.m. :) Did Malcolm have problems with the fireworks too? I am glad that you have Malcolm and love him dearly - he is lucky to have you and a forever home.

I always think that too - Dempsy and his forever home - and it is. But life is crazy and I try to make sure I don't get to judgemental when people have to surrender or change their living arrangements. It is pretty easy to judge people when you haven't been in their shoes. I too has always adopted - it's a privilege to help those little rascals.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

We don't need your name Scott because we will forever see you walking under the 'L' passing the Geico gecko as you go! :lol:

Go Cubs!

It's wonderful that you have taken Malcom in and cared for him when many people would not have done.

I like the change. Tell Malcolm that he should change his screen name to "Scott's Cairn".

(You know he's been online, right??) :P

• Like 4

Thanks everyone. Yep, Malcolm was barking at the fireworks and there is no way I can sleep through that.

Dempsy's Mom I didn't mean to be judgmental. In my neighborhood there is at least one house on every block with a "For Sale Bank Owned" sign on the boarded up houses. All those people did was try to provide for their families and through no fault of their own they lost their home. I used to keep birds, had four cages full. I lost my job and had to give them away. I may be a grown man, still I cried my eyes out when I had to give my little canary away. I managed to keep my parrot because my brother took him in until I got settled again.

I read Jeff and Oscar's post. My heart is very heavy for her. Life can be cruel and if we don't help each other it can be worse. I understand how you feel. My comment about commitment was directed at myself and no one else. Poor timing on the posts. Please don't take it as a criticism of another.

What I am very judgemental about are the pitbull owners. I saw a man with a pitbull in the park. This poor dog had a 10 lb barbell weight around its neck. That dog was being trained to fight. Made my blood boil. I went home and reported it to the police. We don't need another dog fighting ring in the neighborhood.

• Like 1

I know exactly what you mean, Scott. Some days it's easy for me to be overwhelmed by the amount of cruelty and stupidity in this world, especially when it comes to animals. It can put me into a real funk and make me red-faced, blood-boiling furious. And then there are folks like Jeff and Oscar's mom - and you with your birds - who provide loving, wonderful homes for their pets only to be faced with surrendering them due to unforeseen circumstances.

Thanks for calling the police about the pitbull. You may have saved a life or two by making that call.

Malcolm is surely one lucky dog to be welcomed into your family Scott. God bless you for rescuing him.

So glad Malcom has you for his forever home! Having had a Scottie (i adore them also) you can see similarities in personality and some physical traites.... well certainly not in that long snoot but in the eyes and expressions. Love them both, Scotties and Cairns :)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

BTW my name is Scott. Giving a first name doesn't seem like that much of a problem and it's easier to type. Besides, just having my first name won't enable a thief to steal the billions and billions in my secret Swiss bank accounts

Dang, I was just gonna ask your Mother's maiden name and SS#. Just kidding, just kidding!!! :lol:

You are a great Cairn Dad!!!!

Great story, glad to hear Malcolm found a patient and tolerant forever home. Also glad to hear you are comfortable enough to share your "real" name! I never even thought when I joined this forum a number of years ago that making my screen name my actual first name might be risky!

I thought long and hard about rescuing an adult dog when we decided to get Finn and in the end it just didn't work for me personally, but I admire those who can bring a dog with "baggage" into their home. I think there are two great methods of bringing a dog into your home and which you choose has to be a personal decision. They are: 1) rescue and 2) find a responsible breeder who strives to better the breed. Before Finn, the three dogs I had in my life were a rescue, a puppy from a Mennonite farm (not a puppy mill, as we lived in nearby and went to the farm but not a top notch breeder) and a backyard bred puppy. I'm really impressed with Finn's breeding and it is apparent that his outstanding temperament is a consequence of that excellent breeding and care given in early months. I cannot stress enough how wonderful my experience was in finding Finn by using the CTCA breeder listings. I contacted 3 breeders in my area and they were all amazing people producing wonderful cairns.

for what it's worth --we've thought of you as malcolm's dad for a long time. and i know whatever other horrid thoughts go through malcolm's mind, he thinks of himself as scott's cairn.

Thanks again for everyone's comments. I appreciate it.

hheldorfer I think they do get online and compare notes with each other. They seem to learn each other's tricks. We have this forum to counter them. They still win.

This computer drives me nuts. It took a while to post a new photo of Malcolm. Its an old pic, all I have at the moment.

If I use Internet Explorer the buttons show. They don't click nothing happens. I try Netscape Navigator. The buttons don't show. I found that if I put the cursor where the button should be it clicks and works. Talk about flying blind.

I met a Scottie last week on the north side. He was a portly little guy. He tried to roll over for a belly rub but couldn't quite make it lol. He got some scratches. He liked that too.

Edited by Malcolm's Dad

:offtopic:

Scott, download Google Chrome and forget about Netscape, it has become obsolete in recent years. Chrome is fast and intuitive to switch to. You have to keep Internet explorer around because every now and then you'll come across a webpage that doesn't support chrome yet.

• Like 1

I had the same problem when trying to change my avatar pic here. I tried using Chrome and IE, neither worked. Ended up that Brad had to change it for me. Then, the next time I wanted to change it I did it from work (with IE) and had no problem. I like using Chrome but I've run into a few things that just don't work with it.