CairnTalk

My poor baby . . .

CallisMom

My husband and I have a joke that Calli is the dog version of my adhd son. Well - my son - while rummage through the cabinet for something knocked his medication bottle on the floor. Of course it didn't take long for Calli to grab and with a couple quick snaps of the jaw crunch the little plastic bottle. I got it away as quickly as I could and counted the pills! Minus one! :( Calli had just eaten a 20 mg Ritalin LA (time released)! Poor baby! I almost had a heart attack! She's been at the vet for hours - they made her throw up - they got the pill out mostly intact - but wanted to giver some charcoal to be on the safe side so she has been at the vet's. I get to go pick her up now. The vet said she will be back to normal by tomorrow morning! You know, I had that Iapec syrup around here when the kids were little but I can't find it to save my life! I didn't realize that I could also give her 1 Tblspn of hydrogen peroxide to make her throw up as well!

Anyway - it never occurred to have either of the two for my doggy! So if you don't have any in the house - got get some!

Oh, poor Calli!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope she is going to be ok....poor little thing! I always worry about this when I'm taking aspirin and drop one on the floor. I can't count how many times I have had to quickly drop to my knees to "capture" a pill! Thanks for the advice on the HP!

I'm so glad to hear Calli's okay. These Cairns are gonna add years to our lives.

I didn't know that about the peroxide. That's great info.

Well - she bounced back great! The vet said she probably wouldn't eat last night - how wrong was he!!! The picky eater found an appetite she didn't know she had! She was running around last night as if nothing had happened!!

Thankfully I was in the room when the bottle fell or she probably would have eaten everything and we would be none the wiser. It literally took like two - three big crunches to snap that container! (My father is always saying that it was God's joke to have such a little dog with such massive teeth).

Yes - the hydrogen peroxide is now tucked in the back of my mind. 1 tablespoon to induce vomiting. Well - a few grey hairs for mom but Calli is doing just fine!!

These furry little critters sure do cause their fair share of trouble, eh? Whenever I drop something and Madison is about to jump on it before I can, I yell very loudly, "NO". For some reason she will immediately stop. Maybe it's the terror in my voice.

So glad to hear Calli's okay. Did she learn her lesson? :sick:

Glad Calli is ok. It's pretty scarie when the animals get into human medication. I know of the hydrogen peroxide fix. My last Springer Spaniel Chelsea managed to snatch 4 links of Italian sausage off the kitchen sink when I had my back turned and as you well know, pork and dogs don't get along. I called my vet and the first thing he said was "give her a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide". Worked like a charm.

MikeC

Glad Calli is ok.  It's pretty scarie when the animals get into human medication.  I know of the hydrogen peroxide fix.  My last Springer Spaniel Chelsea managed to snatch 4 links of Italian sausage off the kitchen sink when I had my back turned and as you well know, pork and dogs don't get along.  I called my vet and the first thing he said was "give her a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide".  Worked like a charm. 

MikeC

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived