CairnTalk

Anyone dream of their cairns?

Newman

I always dream of my cairn terrier, fonzy.. like 2-3times a week I Get dreams of me and him going outside and playing with the bone, or going for a walk.

Sometimes I get nightmare dreams where he accidentally got off the leash and started running toward a bigger dog...

Most of my dreams are good ones and that we are out playing and he keeps licking every new person that walks by on the sidewalk, lol!! Anyone else dream about them? And If so, why?

Scariest dream I had was I was walking with fonzy and all of a sudden a huge pit bull dog started running towards us, and I scooped fonzy up real quick and fonzy was going nuts in my arm barking/screaming/biting.... and I remember jumping ontop of a car and then I woke up all sweaty/etc.

Problem is, I don't really trust other owners with there dogs anymore... because I always hear news stories about death by pitbulls/etc because the owner let them loose...

But yeah, anyone else got any dreams? Or am I just the weird one here :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

The scary dreams our making me bring a knife with me if I go walking or some type of Maze, so I can defend myself if a dog starts attacking fonzy or something you know? So many owners these days don't have the responsibility to keep there dogs on a leash anymore. And if fonzy ever get's attacked by a pitbull I will personally probably do what it takes to get the pitbull off of him. Im over 225lb's and I will most likely have to do something bad to that dog, but I have every right to. In court, I would just say that dog attacked my dog and I was defending myself and my dog, if the pitbull died :P... I love fonzy and will never let anyone hurt him. I would do whatever it takes to defend my dog. (Talking mostly like a worst case scenario)

Edited by Newman

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!

I've only had one dream about one of my dogs. It was about my Mandy (Toy Poodle/Norfolk mix). Shortly after she died, I dreamt she was lying on a blanket. I picked her up and turned her over and she had angel's wings on her back. I am not "into" angels or anything, which made this dream very surprising to me. It was very comforting to me, though. I remember smiling when I woke up.

• Like 2

I'm one of those that don't remember my dreams. But every now and then I see Angus flit away as I wake up to the real Angus.

scary dreams can sometimes give us useful information or advice. i think the lesson you took away, newman, of being vigilant and keeping fonzy on a leash will ultimately turn out to be very good advice. the knife is probably going overboard, and could get you into more trouble than anybody else. and mace just blows back into your own eyes and makes you helpless. fonzy will be quite safe with you beside him, and with his leash you can always pick him up and get him out of trouble. the best weapon is to steer clear of situations you think could lead to something bad.

and molly, that is a beautiful dream. you love your dogs very much.

Edited by pkcrossley

scary dreams can sometimes give us useful information or advice. i think the lesson you took away, newman, of being vigilant and keeping fonzy on a leash will ultimately turn out to be very good advice. the knife is probably going overboard, and could get you into more trouble than anybody else. and mace just blows back into your own eyes and makes you helpless. fonzy will be quite safe with you beside him, and with his leash you can always pick him up and get him out of trouble. the best weapon is to steer clear of situations you think could lead to something bad.

and molly, that is a beautiful dream. you love your dogs very much.

Well I started to the bring knife with me because of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

More then 90% of these are from pitbulls... If they can kill people, they will kill my cairn and I need to protect him. I can't protect fonzy without a knife if a pitbull runs loose from his owner and is charging towards me and my dog, the knife will save my life... But I do see your point, im just taking about a small little pocket knife, not like some sword :P

@

Autumn&Molly, nice story, loved it.

9yNb8di.jpg

mace just blows back into your own eyes and makes you helpless.

That is true about Mace. It has a short range and it also is too slow, taking several seconds until it's out of the can and reaches the dog, by which time the dog has completed the attack. Law enforcement has advised using Wasp & Hornet Spray. :cop: (It's legal!). It blasts approx. 20 ft. so you don't have to be dangerously close to the dog. The spray is powerful and can immobilize a pit bull, or so I'm told!

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I have also purchased dog mace online. We have a nasty shepard in the neighborhood that came after Pegi when she was a pup. The following spring the dog came after her again, and I was able to pick her up and hold her over my head. Course, the dog jumped me but I got a good kick in. Now I walk with the dog mace and won't hesitate to use it.

• Like 1

Linda & Pegi

I rarely remember my dreams but I woke up in the middle of the night the other night and I had dreamed that Tessa got loose from the back yard going through an open gate in our fence, I ran and chased her up a hill (which isn't there in real life) when I reached to grab her - I put my hands on the rear end of a car and she was inside it! I then pushed the car with her inside it back into my back yard through the gate and then I woke up. :shock:

Our Cairns: Attila (Sprouted 03/09/11), Tessa (Sprouted 01/14/12)

I've had my cairn for about 2 weeks now. He's just over 2 months old. He's the 'essence of Cairn' by all descriptions I've read. Tough, stubborn, & ready to chase whatever moves.

Just yesterday I had a dream that he bolted out the door without his leash. I have no idea why but I was totally naked and I couldn't run after him without streaking the neighborhood. I was very distressed and started shouting my dog's name in my sleep. His name is Boo, so I'm shouting "Boo! Boo!". My boyfriend woke me up to let me know the dog was still in his kennel.

It's also the first dream I've had in a super long time.

I've had my cairn for about 2 weeks now. He's just over 2 months old. He's the 'essence of Cairn' by all descriptions I've read. Tough, stubborn, & ready to chase whatever moves.

Just yesterday I had a dream that he bolted out the door without his leash. I have no idea why but I was totally naked and I couldn't run after him without streaking the neighborhood. I was very distressed and started shouting my dog's name in my sleep. His name is Boo, so I'm shouting "Boo! Boo!". My boyfriend woke me up to let me know the dog was still in his kennel.

It's also the first dream I've had in a super long time.

Haha, awesome little story you had. Isn't it just awesome how we can relate and dream with these creatures.. I love cairns with all my heart. I am trying to go to a dog show here soon only if it's a Cairn Terrier one.

Nice story! And welcome to the forum!

Edited by Newman

9yNb8di.jpg

• 10 years later...

Sorry for bumping a really old thread but I didn’t feel up to making a new one and I didn’t want to post on my deceased cairn’s goodbye page. I just need to share this with someone who understands the pain. Sadly the person who was the last person in the world my boy saw was a jerk about having to take care of him and last arrangements. Having this dream just reopened that old wound and I am struggling a bit.

I dreamt of Nikki yesterday and it was so vivid I could smell and feel his sweet fur. Then I dozed off today and had a continuation of that dream and in this one he was gone and I was weeping because I had his collar and leash in my hand and I kept seeing him smiling at me out of the corner of my eye in the dream and stepping just out of reach. I knew he was gone in the dream and it was torture not being able to pick him up and hug him one more time. I could smell him! He’s been gone for years. 😭 I guess I should be grateful that I remember him so clearly that he was darn near tangible but waking up in a borrowed bed and remembering everything else from that lifetime is gone, too, really hurts. 

• Like 1

yes, i do dream of my cairns. and yes it is a mix of joy at reunion and loss. these dogs so entwine around the heart. try to enjoy the lovely side of it. they come back to remind you it was real, and therefore it is still yours. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1