CairnTalk

Jack

Jack

My name is Wesley and my wife and I live in North Carolina. Our Cairn Terrier is named Jack. He was born May 30, 2011 and came home with us on July 10. I have been reading these forums for several months and gleaned much helpful advice for the raising of our boy. I have decided it is time to introduce Jack to the good people here. In the first picture, Jack was on one of his first outdoor adventures.post-5574-0-38770900-1328550421_thumb.jp He couldn't climb over six inches of landscape timbers. In the second picture Jack was traveling with the wife.post-5574-0-23228900-1328550535_thumb.jp If anyone is familiar with The Varsity in Atlanta, he got snuck in. He has grown a lot since then and is turning into a great little companion. He likes to get dirty.post-5574-0-10306700-1328550778_thumb.jp He likes to play with the neighbor's big dog.post-5574-0-03823300-1328550925_thumb.jp Mostly, he is just a good looking, lovable little buddy to have around.post-5574-0-99573000-1328551034_thumb.jp

Yesterday was gloomy, overcast, drizzly day here. We took the oppuritunity to take Jack on a two hour hike through a large expanse of undeveloped land nearby where he loves to run of leash. we try to get him there at least once a week. He loves it as you can se in the video below. Hope I did OK for an intro.

Welcome! You shouldn't have lurked so long but I do love the introduction--I feel like I know Jack very well. His romp in the woods is just so typical of these little go getters, always exploring, casting for scents, taking a dip in the water, with the obligatory drying off in the grass and litter--just to make sure they carry back the scents they love. I miss those kind of woods, being from an area where that kind of blowdown is common and I know my dogs love to romp in them when they get the chance. Out here it is a bit less dense.

Jack just exemplifies all that is neat in Cairns--curious, fearless, acrobatic, and into tail wagging fun!

Thanks for the pictures and especially the video--my girls gave it a growl and bark when they heard your whistle calling Jack back so it has full approval here!

Lovely video... I must admit though I am very nervous of any Cairn being off leash. I know in our area the coyotes would make short order of any small dog that is loose. As much as our Jock would love to be off leash I know that I could in no way rely on recall if anything moved that would spark an interest in a good chase.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Welcome! Your little man is so handsome and all Cairn. In fact, I think my Addie (born April 29, 2011) has a bit of crush.

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Welcome to the forum Wesley and little Jack. He is a cutie and thanks for sharing the pics and video. Now we will need to see more and hear all about your adventures in beautiful North Carolina.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Welcome!! Love your video and the music fits it perfectly.

I have to ask...does Jack have good recall? We take our two on trails in the woods that look similar to these. We often meet people on the trails that have their dogs off lead. In many ways I'd love to let ours run free but I'm just not confident they'd come back when called, so leashes it is. Curious as to how Jack behaves?

Jo, Jagger & Eddie

jagger_julytomarch.jpg

The area we go to is basically deserted. Jack will seldom get out of sight and he does come back within sight when called. So far as actually coming to you on every call, we're still working on that.

Awesome video! love the music too.... Allman brothers my fav! Jack sure is a curious cairn. fun to watch. we have coyotes in our area too so I have never felt confident to let ours off leash. but sure did enjoy watching Jack's adeventure....he looks sweet.

Archived