CairnTalk

A doggie playscape/playground

kayharley

I didn't want to post this on the Agility forum because that's not what I'm looking at doing. I want to create a fun place in my back yard for my dogs to investigate, exercise and have a good time.

Since all my children are grown (human children :D ) I've decided to eliminate some garden/yard space and put in a playground for my Cairns. So far I've made a hoop using my son's old soccer frame and some cheap piping from Home Depot. Even decorated it (my neighbors NOW know I'm nuts :whistle: ) Today I got a tunnel for them to run through and I see in the future alot more home-made items for play/exercise...an old dog house we have that my hubby can't fit in anymore :lol:

that can serve as a base for a A- frame using old boards.

Has anyone else thought of what I'm doing and have any suggestions for play equipment? I really don't want to get into any kind of competition whether it be agility, show, opedience (yeah, right :shock: ). I just figure it's time to incorporate some dog space into my yard. And with a new puppy coming soon, I'm looking at keeping all my dogs happy, healthy, fit and exhausted at the end of a day.

Thanks for any input. :

I've been thinking about the same thing for a while. Where'd you get the tunnel?

I got a dog ramp at a garage sale that usually goes for 100.00, for 10.00. But I'm using it to get the dog in and out of our vehicle quietly.

I got the tunnel at ebay and I'm getting a jump from them too. Wanted one that has a pole that disassembles if hit. Everything else I'm using my "doggie imagination" for (gee, what would I want to play with if I were a canine??....maybe a cat. :lol: )

Anyway, I'm finding it a fun hobby to toy around with. Who knows.....I may be the future Walt Disney for dogs! :idea:

A slide!!!! :idea: Ohhhh, with a ramp/steps to get on it. And in the summer put a swimming pool at the end for the"cool off".

Now I"m thinking water park for the dogs......someone stop me now!! :lol:

When are you going to start selling tickets to Karharley World? Can I book my stay through Travelocity.com? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm not fussy, a double bed will be fine, but I need to have A/C if it's hot.

Okay, how about Kayharley's Krazy Kanine Kindergarten?

Well I am glad that I am not the only one who has done that. I got my tunnel from toys r us and made the jumps out of PVC Pipe. I too want a slide and figure I will wait another couple of weeks and check out the toy stores for end of year sells.

I made a bridge for them to cross. I asked my husband about doing some real tunnels and he said no. But I may still do it because I am intrigued by the earthdog tunnels.

I also want to teach Rebel how to dance! I saw a video clip of a golden dancing to grease with his owner and it was awesome. I haven't found a class for that yet.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Joanne,

I love the water park idea! We are getting ready to move into a house with a real yard and you have given me some great ideas. We can have Scully's World on the East Coast, and Duffy's World on the West Coast. OOH, and doggie day care too. I would love doing that. I can see it now..........a whole chain of these athletic doggie day cares for little dogs across the country........Cairns and Company!! :D

MikeC

Thela, I'm with you. I'll share a room.

Mike, I think Sally's started an epidemic here. I'm lovin' all the ideas. Hey, I can retire in 4 years, maybe I should started a Cuddlin' Cairn Daycare center.

Perfect idea. You can get the little kids ,Tyco, what ever they are called, at a yard sale for next to nothing. They are big and bold and have all kinds of "ins and outs" for the little guys.

Actually I got the idea from agility books/sites.

Yesterday I put the tunnel in the back yard and stretched it out to it's full length (15 ft....yes, I went a little crazy) I decided to buy a good quality one that would last for at least a few years. Madison was all over it, under it, through it and even I got in it...kinda cozy :whistle: Winnie wanted no part of the activities but she is older so we let her be the audience.

I only wish I was able to operate our table saw (I like all 10 fingers attatched) It would be so easy/fun to make things out of scrap lumber. I'm going to hit some tag sales this weekend and hopefully find some junk that can be used for my new project.

Gee, why didn't I think of this last spring?

OMG...did you see the pic of the Cairn pirate? The patch over one eye? I am dying here with laughter. :lol:

Now I'm thinking of a "not too high" Cairn tree house... little curtains with dog paw prints on them and a fluffy sofa for company or a small get-together, :chat: ,maybe a fur entrance rug.

Brad, you now have me wanting to hire a contractor/carpenter and my hubby's gonna have a cow.

Oh, what we could do with extra money, imagination, time, energy....all for the love of our Cairns!

Great Post!

Love the Pirate dog!

Makes me miss my backyard. Now

in Manhattan....only cement to be seen.

I think my Cairn is plotting a mutiny!

Archived