CairnTalk

Helping a friend

Guest Kelly

I am a trainer, breeder, owner and many other devotional terms for Belgian Malinois. Most people that know me, know that I promote research before purchase.

An acquantence of mine is researching breeds for a dog for the young son (less than 7 years old) and while I have attempted to get them to go to the pound, the mother is wanting a pure breed. Ok I know... can't convince people that there are MANY pure breeds at the pound. So with that said. Next I told her to research each breed and narrow down to a few. The Cairn Terrier is what she has come up with. They have purchased a book from the book store, and while that is helpful, I want to know the nitty gritty of the Cairn Terrier.

1. Maintenance (grooming & such) Stripping????

2. Bidability

3. Family habits [(loving family member, can it put up with kids (I know loaded question)]

4. Health

I have also asked her to look at breed rescue. As an active member of my own breed club, and active in the rescue side of it, I know that forever homes are excellent and a win win for all involved.

Please, I know that it will take time with the answer, but please take the time. An informed owner will more than likely be a forever home and a childhood memory devoted to a breed.

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I am a first time Cairn Terrier owner after over 20 years of having Springer Spaniels. I will answer your questions from my experience with my own Cairn, and hopefully others in this Forum can add their own. I was attracted to the Cairn because I wanted a small, but sturdy breed of dog and one that would adapt well to my living environment (small condominium).

Maintenance - I have my Cairn groomed professionaly every 6 to 8 weeks. Many owners do this themselves, but I don't have the talent to groom a dog and I want mine to look like a Cairn should look. The groomer hand strips him twice a year, which to my understanding is pretty much the norm.

Bidability - My Cairn, whose name is Duffy by the way, is the smartest little dog I have ever owned. He came to live with us when he was 10 weeks old, and was pretty much housebroken within 3 weeks. He can be stubborn when he wants, which is also inherrent of the breed, but usually a firm word and "the look" will get me back his attention.

Family habits - Duffy is quite a lovable little guy and is very affectionate. He is not what one would consider a lap dog, but does love to lay up against us at night while we are watching TV and he is beginning to drift off. He is wonderful with children as there are several in our complex that like to play with him when we walk him.

Health - Cairns can be prone to skin allergies, but Duffy has none. He is very healthy, and of course he goes to the Vet twice per year for his "check-ups".

Cairns are long lived with life spans of 14-16 years.

On the down side, Cairns can be very vocal and some love to dig. Fortunately mine is a "singer", not a digger.

I am very happy with my choice and I'm pretty sure that Duffy is happy with us. :thumbsup:

MikeC

Hi...

I have 2 female Cairns, one is 11 and the other is 1 year. About to get an 8 week old male Cairn pup in a few weeks. With that in mind, you may think I'm prejudice to the breed but I'll try to be objective as there are other breeds that make wonderful pets.

The Cairns are naturally a shaggy looking dog and I am not a perfectionist when it comes to grooming them. I do most of it myself, cheating with some wonderful stripping tools and a little clipping here and there. Unless you want to show your Cairn, they really only need to be tidied up. There are many good books out there to help with the grooming part if you have the time and the desire. Or a visit to a pro when needed. They don't shed much and have very little doggie odor. I feel the only thing that needs to be done on a regular schedule are their nails.

Although all Cairns have different personalities, I've found a common trait that I think fits the breed. They love the companionship of people, they want to please, and like a teenager, may balk at discipline but want/need to be steered in the right direction. I am amazed at how smart my dogs are and although some things can be a challenge, it all comes down to being consistant in your training. They don't need harsh words when something is done wrong....I can just look at my Madison, suck my breath in with a weird sound and she KNOWS what it is that she did wrong.

Cairns do make wonderful family pets but I might have some reservations regarding one with a small child. Not that the dog would be aggressive but when it was in a playful mood, they can get quite physical, sometimes nippy and, to put it mildly, absolutely wild (but it's so entertaining and funny to watch them in that mode)

Cairns are pretty durable and healthy dogs. They live an average of 12-14 years with good care. Like Mike said, they can have skin problems and flea allergies but I've been spared those problems with my females. Yes, they can become barkers but it's another discipline problem that can be worked out.

Sorry so long...When I get going about Cairns, my fingers have a mind of their own. :whistle:

I figured that all would say that they are the best dogs in the world.... I fell that way about my Belgians. Will I will be the FIRST to admit that they are NOT a breed for the average owner.

This is the type of things that I need to know. I knwo that with the American Belgian Malinois Club to have been added to the Breeder Referal, you have to maintain the Breeders code of ethics. Honest opinion, If I pull a breeder from your web site, will this be a fair assessment that it is not a BYB. I have been looking at the health issues with the Cairn and I think that I am pretty well versed on questions to ask the breeder. The owner to be is in Louisiana, I have asked the new potential owners to not limit themselves to local area, but I also like to be able to see and interact with pups before purchase. Please, if there is a kennel within distance (4-5 hours) please contact me via my private e-mail at cajunmals@msn.com

Thanks

Kelly

1. Maintenance (grooming & such) Stripping???? I find the maintenance pretty easy. A nice brushing several times a week and then the stripping twice a year

2. BidabilityI second what Mike said - highly intelligent, highly stubborn. They are easy to train meaning that they know exactly what is expected very quickly. Now whether they will conform has a lot to do with their will at the moment. They must have a fenced in yard or be on a leash at all times. I just took Calli out for her last time tonight, a cat ran by, she broke free from her harness and spent the last hour terrorizing the neighbors as she ran two houses away (roughly 6 acres) after the cat with her high pitched bark at 11:34 pm. I love her to death but I don't think my neighbors do (and EVERYONE in the neighborhood has a dog) . . .

3. Family habits [(loving family member, can it put up with kids (I know loaded question)] She is a very loving little gal. Definitely not a lap dog but a very social dog - always wants to be with the family. She loves people and is very submissive when she meets strangers - she will immediately place her head on the ground with her rump in the air, tail wagging. I have two children, one almost 5 and one almost 9. She does great with the almost 9 year-old and great with other children from ages 4 and up that are relatives or frequent visitors to the household. She does not do that great with my almost 5 year old. And she does not do well with any child that is afraid of dogs. She can smell fear a mile away. I have several relatives (children) that make me put her away when they come by yet they have no problem with the bigger dogs like labs. No, she doesn't bite. But she does play rough. And she thinks she is dominate around children who are afraid of dogs (and my almost 5 year old). She will constantly try to "hump" her and any other child she senses fears her - the dominance thing. And yet she is totally submissive to any child that has no fear.

4. Health Calli was a rescue Cairn - came from a pet store supplied by a puppy mill from out West. So far she is in great health. Their biggest issue is with skin allergies.

To me - the biggest thing with children is the whole leash thing! If they open that door and the dog gets out it could be disasterous. I think that, in general, they make great family pets for the family that knows what it is getting into - especially with the stubborn, independent spirit. My husband loves Calli and can't take her all at the same time. He is actually the one that wanted her but she has pretty much become my dog. He just can't deal with her at all. Cairn's are a handful. (But worth it, in my opinion!)

CTCA is fairly "old school" -- you can read the the membership policy, code of ethics, etc. on the How To Join link of the CTCA home page. It's not easy to join the CTCA - it requires some effort and sustained activity in the breed, as well as sponsorship from current, established members. I obviously don't know every breeder listed, but I have met a goodly number and am confident the club is serious about maintaining a good reputation - and more importantly, working to preserve the Cairn breed more than promote it.

If you click on the map on the breeder referral page, you will get a list of member-breeders within 200 miles of wherever you click. Pay no attention to the orange dots on the map - there may be breeders in locations without dots.

One thing to bear in mind about the breeder referral - not all CTCA member-breeders choose to be listed online for a variety of reasons. They may be breeding infrequently, be nearing retirement, or have tired of the calls at all hours of day and night. They may just not 'get' the Internet. In our area we have a very active network and while it sometimes takes some phone work (often more effective than email with many breeders) you can frequently follow a chain of recommendations and local knowledge to a reputable CTCA member who may not be listed.

Good luck. I'm obviously smitten with the breed but I encourage anyone thinking about a Cairn to consider its origins for clues to its personality. At its core a Cairn is a working terrier, albeit wonderfully suited to integration with a family pack. But to hold its working nature against it is not fair to the Cairn.

Archived