CairnTalk

Looking for a Cairn Breeder in CA (bay area)

JenniferS

We lost our beautiful 12 year old Cairn Terrier just about a year ago. We've gone back and forth on the idea of getting another Cairn - Originally, I felt that getting another of the same breed would be an attempt at replacing him, and no animal could EVER replace him in my heart. But I've finally come to realize that I have a soft spot for this breed in particular. Whenever we see people with their dogs (of any breed) we "ooh and ahh" over them (We love all dogs!) - but when it's a cairn or westie my whole family just goes crazy. So - I think we need to get another cairn!

Unfortunately, it seems a near impossible task to find a breeder that's relatively close to us. I'd prefer someone that's within driving distance (a few hours drive is ok), as I'd like to personally meet the dog/puppy and make sure his personality will match with our family (I have two kids - one 11 year old, and one 6 year old), I'd like to also make sure we're getting him from somewhere "legitmate", and I would prefer a breeder that offers "ongoing support".

We live in the bay area in California (Santa Clara county). If you know of a Cairn (or even Westie) breeder near me - please let me know! Our house is empty without a doggie. :(

So sorry about the loss of your senior Cairn :-(

From the list of CTCA member-breeders, the link below will find those in a large radius around Santa Clara. You can fine-tune the search by putting in your zip code and increasing or decreasing the distance you're looking at.

http://members.ctca.us/home.php/directory/breeder-distance/santa+clara/250/

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I saw the list and sent emails to people that were within a reasonable distance. I've only received one response from someone that they don't have any dog or puppies, and from the short email I got the impression they were no longer breeding dogs. So not sure how up to date that list is and/or if it gets cleaned out every so often. :/

I'm so reluctant to buy a dog "sight unseen" - but there's someone in my neighborhood that has a cairn and this is how he got his dog. (It was shipped to him). Am I crazy to think THAT"s crazy? I've never had a dog that we didn't get to meet first! But if there are no breeders nearby, and we have our heart set on a Cairn, this may be the only way... (unless we all take a vacation to some place to hopefully find a dog...) It's madness!

My personal recommendation is a polite call at a reasonable hour to discuss the breed and options for finding a dog. Some good breeders who don't have an appropriate match themselves will refer on to others that might - but only if they feel they've learned enough about you to recommend you as potential home.

Attending shows and seeing dogs and meeting both breeders and other owners is a terrific way to connect.

My observation is that some breeders, while they *have* an email address, are not comfortable with using it. It was quite a shock to me when I realized that some people only check their email once a week.

Advice I once heard a breeder give: "To get a Cairn, be a Cairn." I think they meant: be charming, enthusiastic, and persistent.

Members of the CTCA generally self-select as to whether to be listed or not. I often list, de-list, and re-list some as they have or don't have dogs. Others prefer to remain listed so as to serve in a breeder-referral and breed education capacity.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Idaho Cairns

Long distance buying isn't bad if the breeder provides plenty of information, like testimonials from previous buyers, pictures, and videos. I agree that lots of personal phone contact can make a real difference. I would expand my search to good professional or hobby breeders nationwide and then go with the one that you feel most comfortable with after plenty of discussion. Don't be afraid to step up and pay a good price either--a few hundred more at the outset for a healthy well bred dog will save you plenty of worry and grief later. Just take that higher cost and spread it out over twelve to fifteen years and the extra amount is nothing if you get what you want. Take your time, there are plenty of options for you and the search can be fun and a real learning experience as well.

Let us know how you do.

Advice I once heard a breeder give: "To get a Cairn, be a Cairn." I think they meant: be charming, enthusiastic, and persistent.

That is so true. I was told the same thing. I live in TN and most people have never heard of a Cairn Terrier in my area. I actually found one, waited for her and the breeder decided to keep her. So then my search was on again. Was it worth it? YES! I am so glad I waited for a CAIRN! She has been the best little dog I have ever had. She is almost 16 weeks old now. I already want another. I wish I had gotten 2 to begin with. Good luck on your search. You will find one if you are like a Cairn. Go after what you want.

Archived