CairnTalk

Clipping Nails - major guilt

Milopup

I have never clipped my pups nails because I am afraid of cutting his quik. I took him to a new groomer today, and noticed afterwards when I was playing with the pup that 2 had yellow styptic powder on them. He won't let me touch his paws but seems to be walking okay.

I am feeling major guilt - I thought a groomer would never cut to the quik. :(

Before I learned how to clip my dogs nails, I had me vet do my Cairns nails. I was there when he nipped 4 of her nails too close and they bled. It was only a minor incident for her...major incident for me!!

I now do my dogs nails myself. Have I cut them too close at times? Yes! But by establishing a routine and by knowing your dogs nails/growth pattern, you get to know how much to clip.

It's important to not let the nails grow so long that it causes your dog any discomfort and when they do grow too long, the quick grows along with it. That's why it's important to keep the nail grooming up to date and not let them get out of hand.

Thanks kayharley! The groomer told me that my pup has a very long quik, and thus I should file his nails. But I feel so guilty since I took him to the groomer, instead of doing it myself, because I wanted him to avoid pain. :(

Hi! Riley has had his nails done at PetSmart at least four times now - - have never had a problem but that's not to say it can't happen. I think it is one of the most difficult things to do - - the dogs don't always cooperate but so far we have been lucky!!

I used to cut my older Cairn's nails UNTIL I cut her one time. That was it for me.....she yelped so loud!!

But......My kids went to the groomer yesterday. After returning home, I found blood on the back seat and on my shorts! Yep, they cut the quik!

They did it and I felt just awful for my Cairn, too!!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Archived