CairnTalk

Frozen Marrow Bone

Milopup

Hello,

I had asked this question, but it was buried in another thread so I hope y'all don't mind me moving it to its own topic.

My pup is a major chewer - he is known to chew and swallow nylabone Dentachews in a matter of minutes. :confused: My local pet store recommended that he try frozen beef marrow bones (which they coveniently had in their freezer :whistle: ) so I bought one. Before I give this to the pup, I wanted to know if anyone on the forum has had any experience with these raw frozen beef bones. Does the raw meat make the pups sick? Also, does it make a huge mess (my mom's place, where we currently are, is fully carpeted).

Thank you. :wub:

We use raw frozen beef knuckle and buffalo knuckle bones from time to time. Some dogs will definitely get the runs from too much marrow. Because the marrow is very rich we limit bone time to less than an hour. Raw bones are quite messy (and the dogs are VERY protective of their bones) so we only give them in their crates, on a towel.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Bone marrow gives my dogs diarrhea, so we avoid them My dogs just discovered Bully Sticks....and do they love them!!!! They will chew for long periods of time, which is nice when you have two Cairns running around!

Guest posting as: Darcys mom

What exactly is a Bully stick? I have seen it mentioned several times on this forum but I have no idea what it is. Thanks

Upon the recommendation of my vet, I bought beef soup bones like there was no tomorrow; boiling them and freezing them for each day. Scully hit a point where she had the poopers really bad. He forgot to tell me the bone is the good part and I was supposed to scoop the marrow out and give her just the bone. Just a "little" thing he forgot to tell me. :(

Hi! I give Riley the bigger soup bones that many major grocery stores display in the meat department - - - I bake them for at least 20-30 minutes to get all the fat out of them - - then freeze them and give them to Riley. He loves them -- has no ill effects from them - - and they last a long, long time!

P.S. These bones look like the empty white bones that you can buy in a pet store.

Hi! Maybe the baking method dries them out a bit more - - I am not sure - - but Riley is sensitive to a lot of foods because of his liver shunts and these don't bother him at all - - plus he will work on these for days - - then I throw them out! You could also try scraping the inside of the bone with a knife - - - - -

Archived