CairnTalk

Bitter Apple Spray

JRM

Hi guys

Can anyone tell me if this is available to buy in the UK? Internet shopping doesn't count, does anyone know if any shops sell it? Failing that can anyone recommend anything good to stop chewing? We bought the Johnsons anti chew spray but it hasn't worked.

I know this is an American site but a few British people frequent it!

Thanks a lot.

John

Hi John,

If the UK has stores that cater only to pets like Petco and Petsmart in the US, that would be your best bet on finding Bitter Apple. Some dogs develop a taste for it however (my 10 month old Cairn loves it), so that might not work for you either. In the meantime you might want to get a "kong" for your dog and everytime you see him chewing something he should not be chewing, pull him away from it and put the kong in his mouth. This worked for me. Good luck!

MikeC

Bitter apple didn't work for us either. Look, how much of a taste connoisseur can a dog be if he doesn't mind eating poop?

Wes used to chew the piano legs, as a beaver would. So we put the legs in flower pots.

We put a maze of plastic bins around the couch and wooden chair. The place doesn't look like it will win the Goodhousekeeping award but....

My pup loves the taste of Bitter Apple, so alas it did not help us at all with the chewing problem. I do wish that I could find a solution though. He goes through dental chews like they are dog biscuits, destroys and swallows bits of nylabone, and eats through carrot sticks like a beaver does a log. And can tear apart any stuffed toy in a matter of seconds. He is now in the midst of destroying his plastic toy bin. :huh:

You might want to try a place like www.petplanet.co.uk or just do a google search. I did a quick search and found a page full of comprehensive online pet stores either domiciled in, or shipping to, the UK.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

Molly is an angel when we're in the house, its when we're gone that she starts chewing through wires so the Kong idea is out :(

This may not be a total solution, but I do use cord covers on electrical cords that I can't route out of harms way. I spray them with bitter apple, too :-)

For those pups who 'like' bitter apple, have you tried spraying a dose on something tempting and ensuring they taste it right away while it's fresh and strong? All of our pups shake their heads and back away; afterwards just a reminder of the smell seems to be enough.

I think the packaging suggests actually spraying it first right onto their tongue - I haven't gone that far.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

This reminds me of what happened with a basset, named Bosco, we had years ago. He had escaped from the yard and injured his foot which caused him to have a toenail removed and stitches. He came home w/a bandage up his short little front leg that covered his foot. After two days, he had chewed thru that. Went to the vet, got it rebandaged, they suggested putting a sock over that. Sock lost within about thirty minutes, bandage lasted a day. :twisted: Back to vet, another bandage. This time they suggested rubbing Tobasco sauce on it. We soon found Bosco loved Tobasco sauce and that bandage lasted less than fifteen minutes and we were back at the vet within thirty! :devil: He was laughing so hard he didn't charge us this time around. Bosco from then on till his foot healed wore a cone.....passing kids would laugh at him moping on the front porch and he would just sit there and hang his head. He looked like Snoopy hanging his head while sitting on top of his dog house.

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

Archived