CairnTalk

"SAY YOUR PRAYERS SQUIRREL!

Idaho Cairns

Idaho Cairns

Cairn version of a heat seeking missile! Twixt the ears shot of a Cairn "Lock and Load!"

DSCN0526.JPG

Oh, yeah. That head down, slowly creeping up before the afterburners kick in and then...dead squirrel!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

That photo really shows the concentration on the soon to be gone squirrel!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

No post-mortem, CSI after photos?

Too gruesome. Just a little taped outline of the ex-squirrel on the grass. :P

Kirby is like that with birds - way up in the sky, can't seem to understand he can't reach them - bu he's relentless in his pursuit! I agree with the "Oh Crap" expression on the squirrels face. Is that Bonnie or Sami?

Mett & Bratt's Hero! They haven't gotten that close to the Evil Squirrel's yet!

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Glad I don't have any trees in my yard or even within a few houses of my yard for my young kylie! Maybe a few rabbits and field mice.

Wow! That's a fantastic photo! How on earth did you ever get it without disturbing the whole scene? So, is the squirrel in greener pastures with bigger nuts, or was there a heroic, last-minute escape?

Idaho Cairns

Sorry to say but the squirrel won this one, just as they always seem to do. No matter how hard my Cairns try the squirrels manage to get away thru some reckless maneuvers or inside turn ratio that exceeds a Cairn's specifications, in this case, a fateful leap off the hill into the Juniper tree behind him sufficed. I sometimes wonder if it all isn't just a non-deadly game to my girls--it's all about the chase.

This was Sammi, Bonnie isn't nearly as interested in critters as Sammi--the little one just seems to go along for the ride in most of these encounters. They are a fun pair of Cairns anyway and I happen to like squirrels so it all works out.

Oh my - definately a cairn in action. If I'm not careful when letting Layla out, she sees them before I do and almost takes my arm off in her rush to "get 'em"

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

glad to hear it (who said that?). i like squirrels too. in fact i am a bit worried, i see fewer and fewer of the little guys each year.

but

if looks could kill...

Great photo once again! Squirrels were put on this earth to taunt all of our cairns and they do it very well.

That's a picture worth framing! Our Luigi has chased birds, suirrels and deer. At eight months he's yet to catch anything. Not looking forward to that day! In the mean time our cat loves the fact that he's a superior hunter over his little brother who he barely tolerates!

Idaho Cairns

Squirrels are mischievous little animals and one of the reasons why I admire them so. They have "Terrier" attitudes in my mind--like the dogs they are problem solvers--believe me, I have devised all kinds of ways to keep them off the bird feeders without any success. About all the little critters lack is a sense of judgment around roads and highways--they regularly meet their maker around here on the roads. They are the perfect prey animal for Cairns tho because they can elude the dogs easily and they are just a bit reckless. I believe they are playful as well. I have shown this photo before but I think it really captures how they like to test our dogs. This is Sammi, poised to fulfill a lifetime dream of a squirrel dropping in her jaws only to be frustrated again. I often wonder if the dogs don't see it as play as well--ours have come sooooo close to nabbing a squirrel and they always seem to hold back, stumble, or dodge the wrong direction. Might be instinctive--squirrels are vicious biters and can do some real damage if not dispatched quickly--maybe the dogs sense that possibility. Who knows?

DSCN0431.jpg

After seeing the videos of Cairns in action against their prey, and reading so many stories about them, I believe that your dogs think of the squirrels as family of they would be gone. If the squirrels felt threatened they would move on. I believe both are enjoying the fun.

What an Epic piture! and the description with it was Hilarious! :ninja:

If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

Archived